Grub's Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Offer Sheets?!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com please DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
To repeat myself, a lot of teams don't have these conditions and have a clear use for Ceci/Kulak types. And Montreal has 2-3 defencemen who have ever played a full season in the NHL.
Montreal has no reason to target another depth defenseman when they’re likely to cut at least 2 of their own because they have a plethora of them. You also have to consider where they’re at as a team still in a rebuild. They’d much rather priortize their younger depth players.

I mean here’s the thing, any bottom feeder team could take on Ceci/Kulak, but why? They’re not sniffing the playoffs, they need a better reason to acquire them and Edmonton can’t give them that.

Reactions: racerjoe and Vector

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Who’s the “a lot” of teams? Vector put out a list of teams that have at minimum $2.75M of cap space.

Avalanche: 2.96m(LTIR)

Bruins: 3.16m

Senators: 3.6m

Capitals: 5.54m(LTIR
)

Blackhawks: 5.90m (Jones, Korchinski, Martinez, Vlasic, Tinordi, Murphy, Brodie)

Sabres: 6.77m

Blues: 7.33m

Canadiens: 7.73m
(Matheson, Guhle, Hutson, Barron, Xhekaj, Savard, Struble, Harris)

Utah HC: 10.75m (Sergachev, Durzi, Cole, Marino, Kesselring, Valimaki)

Blue Jackets: 11.12m (Werenski, Severson, Provorov, Gudbranson, Jiricek, Johnson)

Sharks: 12.55m (Vlasic, Thrun, Wallman, Ferraro, Ruuta, Benning, Emberson)

Flames: 20.07m

Ducks: 21.72m
(Fowler, Gudas, Dumolin, Zellweger, Mintyukov, Vaakanainen, Lacombe, Luneau)

The three teams I can maybe see a fit is CBJ, Sharks, and Utah. Sharks are rebuilding I don’t think they’d be interested. Utah I can see them taking on Kulak, CBJ taking on Ceci. I’m not saying it’s not possible for the teams above to not acquire Ceci/Kulak, but I find it very unlikely.
So the Sharks are ruled out because they have Matt Benning, who is coming off serious hip surgery and played 14 games last season, and Ty Emberson, who has played 30 NHL games, and Henry Thrun, who has 60 NHL games? The Canadiens are ruled out because they have like 4-5 defencemen with nearly no NHL experience that will eventually be regulars? The Blackhawks are ruled out because they have Jarred Tinordi, who at 32 has never played a full NHL season, Connor Murphy who is chronically injuerd and played 46 games last season, and Alec Martinez who is 37 and has played one full season in the last 6 years? The Bruins are crossed out ... just because?

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
I mean here’s the thing, any bottom feeder team could take on Ceci/Kulak, but why? They’re not sniffing the playoffs, they need a better reason to acquire them and Edmonton can’t give them that.
1. You can't run a defence with 2-3 guys in the bottom two pairings who can't play because they're inexperienced or busted.
2. Either of these guys, and Kulak particularly, can be flipped at the deadline.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I mean if I'm a team who needs help on defense, I'd be happy to take Kulak and get a pick back, a 3rd would suffice but a 2nd would be sweet.

Reactions: sting101

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
It’s not. It just seems likely, given Willander will probably play the full college season. Injuries tend to pile up more as the season wears on and if we are locked into a playoff spot, I could see them resting players, which would open up a spot for Willander to get a handful of games in.

I don't see the team resting players by having them out of the lineup. The Canucks didn't do that last year and we won't do that this year. Myers (the oldest defenseman on the team) isn't going to sit out games in an effort to keep him fresh for the playoffs.

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
So the Sharks are ruled out because they have Matt Benning, who is coming off serious hip surgery and played 14 games last season, and Ty Emberson, who has played 30 NHL games, and Henry Thrun, who has 60 NHL games? The Blackhawks are ruled out because they have Jarred Tinordi, who at 32 has never played a full NHL season, Connor Murphy who is chronically injuerd and played 46 games last season, and Alec Martinez who is 37 and has played one full season in the last 6 years?
Well yeah… injuries happen. None of that matters in July, August, September, or October. When injuries do happen, then yeah, teams will start looking at adding depth. Until then, most teams have set rosters. I don’t think you understand that difference.

The Canadiens are ruled out because they have like 4-5 defencemen with nearly no NHL experience that will eventually be regulars?
So a rebuilding/transitioning team like Montreal needs 30 y/o bottom pairing defensemen just because? Again you completely ignore team trajectory, fit, depth situation, and timing.

Matheson, Savard, and Guhle are NHL regulars. Xhekaj is entering his 3rd NHL season and will be slotted in full time. Barron as well. Hutson is one of their top and most hyped prospects, he’ll have every opportunity to make the team. They also have Struble and Harris in case some of them go down with injury.

The Bruins are crossed out ... just because?
McAvoy, Lindholm, Carlo, Zadorov, Lohrei, Peeke, Wotherspoon. Top 5 defense in the league. Why would they need Kulak or Ceci?

Reactions: racerjoe

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

Vancouver Canucks General Manager Patrik Allvin announced today updates to the team’s Hockey Operations department. Chris Trivieri has been promoted to Assistant Athletic Therapist, Curtis Bell has been named an Athletic Therapist, and Gerry Ramogida has been named Performance Therapist. The team has also hired Patrick Leblond and Luca Caputi as full-time Amateur Scouts.

Trivieri begins his fourth season with the organization, having begun with the Abbotsford Canucks for the 2021.22 season as an Assistant Athletic Trainer and continuing in that role until the 2023.24 season, where he was named Head Athletic Therapist. Prior to his time with the Canucks, the Welland, ON native spent one season (2018.19) with the Kingston Frontenacs and two seasons (2019-21) with the Niagara IceDogs of Ontario Hockey League (OHL).

Bell, from Los Angeles, CA, joins the organization having spent the 12 seasons with the Pittsburgh Penguins, serving as an Assistant Athletic Trainer, Director of Sports Performance, and most recently as an Athletic Trainer. He has also served as Head Athletic Trainer for the Tampa Bay Lightning (1997-99), New Jersey Devils (2003-04), and Florida Panthers (2005-08). Bell graduated with a Bachelor of Science in Kinesiology from the University of Southern California in 1992 and earned a master’s degree in Applied Clinical Nutrition from Northeast College in 2017.

Vancouver native Ramogida joins the organization after nearly three decades as a leading chiropractor and performance therapist. He has experience working with athletes across various sports, including the NHL, NBA, NFL, EPL, and Olympic Track and Field. He has developed a unique approach that combines manual techniques with deep biomechanical insights. Ramogida obtained a Bachelor of Science from the University of British Columbia in 1993, a Doctor of Chiropractic from Western Staes Chiropractic College in 1997, a Certification in Contemporary Medical Acupuncture from McMaster Medical School in 2001, and a Masters in Rehabilitation Sciences from the University of British Columbia’s Department of Medicine in 2010.

Leblond has spent six seasons as a scout for the Cape Breton Eagles of the Quebec Maritimes Junior Hockey League (QMJHL), with the 2023.24 season spent as Director of Scouting and Hockey Operations Administration. Prior to his time in Cape Breton, the Quebec native was a regional scout with the Val-d’Or Foreurs in 2011.12 and was a scout for QMJHL Central Scouting during the 2017.18 season.

Caputi spend parts of the previous three seasons as Head Coach of the Kingston Frontenacs, holding a record of 72-67-5-3, leading the team to the OHL Playoffs during the 2021.22 season. The Toronto, ON native also spent three seasons as an Associate Coach (2018-21) with the Frontenacs and three seasons as an Assistant Coach (2015-18) with the Guelph Storm (OHL). Caputi suited up for 35 games during his NHL career (2008.09 to 2010.11), split between the Pittsburgh Penguins and Toronto Maple Leafs, recording nine points (3-6-9) and 20 penalty minutes.

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
Well yeah… injuries happen. None of that matters in July, August, September, or October. When injuries do happen, then yeah, teams will start looking at adding depth. Until then, most teams have set rosters. I don’t think you understand that difference.

So a rebuilding/transitioning team like Montreal needs 30 y/o bottom pairing defensemen just because? Again you completely ignore team trajectory, fit, depth situation, and timing.

Matheson, Savard, and Guhle are NHL regulars. Xhekaj is entering his 3rd NHL season and will be slotted in full time. Barron as well. Hutson is one of their top and most hyped prospects, he’ll have every opportunity to make the team. They also have Struble and Harris in case some of them go down with injury.

McAvoy, Lindholm, Carlo, Zadorov, Lohrei, Peeke, Wotherspoon. Top 5 defense in the league. Why would they need Kulak or Ceci?
You're just talking past me, ignoring nearly every explanation I give, then saying I didn't give any. This is pointless.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Hah, Luca Caputi. For some reason, I remember that guy.
1723844257557.png

• Haha
Reactions: LemonSauceD

Horvat1C

Oct 2, 2015
I think K'Andre Miller was the best target for an offersheet the league has seen. I would've been fine with giving up a 1st+3rd for him but teams let the Rangers off the hook then.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
I think we are about to learn quickly how much of a help or hindrance that Stan Bowman will be.

The stakes are huge too.... <snip>
Agreed with your whole post but it's clear we've already seen it's immediately a hindrance, and rightfully so.

This situation simply doesn't exist with Holland the gm, atleast not from the Blues, and in that case who knows if other teams are able/want to sign both.

I'm not saying it was done solely to punish bowman, only the choice to actually pull triggers on multi stage double offer sheets, is made easier when it's not someone you respect.

How it continues to impact that franchise we'll soon see but as you & vector alluded to I don't think it's going to be overly positive.

No matter what a scf gm seven loss, bowman hire, double OS combo is pretty rough, with none of best players locked up yet, no cap space, bad cap management, bad depth, bad prospect pool and no assets, it's definitely a disaster and the whole hockey community seems to be making popcorn for all of it.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Agreed with your whole post but it's clear we've already seen it's immediately a hindrance, and rightfully so.

This situation simply doesn't exist with Holland the gm, atleast not from the Blues, and in that case who knows if other teams are able/want to sign both.

I'm not saying it was done solely to punish bowman, only the choice to actually pull triggers on multi stage double offer sheets, is made easier when it's not someone you respect.

How it continues to impact that franchise we'll soon see but as you & vector alluded to I don't think it's going to be overly positive.

No matter what a scf gm seven loss, bowman hire, double OS combo is pretty rough, with none of best players locked up yet, no cap space, bad cap management, bad depth, bad prospect pool and no assets, it's definitely a disaster and the whole hockey community seems to be making popcorn for all of it.
Edm was moving off Holland. Really a matter of who would replace him. Whether Jackson kept the GM role or they went with someone else, seems like Armstrong was going to make the OS once EDM used up their cap space on free agency and we got past the 2nd buyout window. And EDM only had enough cap room to get both of them signed for a combined $2.X amount.

As for the players not liking how they were developed. I've always been of the mindset that you keep and develop the players in the A until they are ready to make the NHL full time and not have to go back down to the A. Outside of a glipse in the final 10-15 games of the season, keep them in the A.

Broberg split 21/22 in the A/NHL. 22/23 only 7 games in the A and half the NHL games he got dressed. Then in 23/24, it's flipped and he is in the NHL for just 12 games.

His numbers in the NHL were like 13 points in 81 games. But, like 70 some points in the 90 in the AHL. But, clearly something not allowing him to play better in the NHL. Now, points is just one aspect of playing his game. Have to be able to play well enough when you get to the NHL to remain there and improve.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Edm was moving off Holland. Really a matter of who would replace him. Whether Jackson kept the GM role or they went with someone else, seems like Armstrong was going to make the OS once EDM used up their cap space on free agency and we got past the 2nd buyout window. And EDM only had enough cap room to get both of them signed for a combined $2.X amount.

As for the players not liking how they were developed. I've always been of the mindset that you keep and develop the players in the A until they are ready to make the NHL full time and not have to go back down to the A. Outside of a glipse in the final 10-15 games of the season, keep them in the A.

Broberg split 21/22 in the A/NHL. 22/23 only 7 games in the A and half the NHL games he got dressed. Then in 23/24, it's flipped and he is in the NHL for just 12 games.

His numbers in the NHL were like 13 points in 81 games. But, like 70 some points in the 90 in the AHL. But, clearly something not allowing him to play better in the NHL. Now, points is just one aspect of playing his game. Have to be able to play well enough when you get to the NHL to remain there and improve.
This situation doesn't exist IF Holland is gm is the point, so bowman is clearly already a hindrance.
The rest on the players not liking their development /broberg summary is irrelevant to anything afaik.

That's twice you've replied about one of if not the least important minutiae, I ignored it once but please stop.

Reactions: andora

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Patrick Johnson has a story on personnel changes in the Canucks organization, including the departure of Kate Pettersen. There's been some discussion about this in the Media thread and also in the Scouting thread, but I thought it best to post here.

Without making a big deal about it, Johnson debunks the idea that Thomas Gradin stepped back to be with family:

With the hiring of Leblond and Caputi, the Canucks’ amateur scouting department sits at 11 scouts, as Thomas Gradin, Pier-Alexandre Poulin, Wyatt Smith and Sergei Chibisov have all been let go.
"let go." That's pretty clear.

The link:
Turnover the name of the game in the Vancouver Canucks' business of late

• Wow
Reactions: vancityluongo

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011
It's the middle of august and missing the game day posts. Getting closer though.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Patrick Johnson has a story on personnel changes in the Canucks organization, including the departure of Kate Pettersen. There's been some discussion about this in the Media thread and also in the Scouting thread, but I thought it best to post here.

Without making a big deal about it, Johnson debunks the idea that Thomas Gradin stepped back to be with family:

"let go." That's pretty clear.

The link:
Turnover the name of the game in the Vancouver Canucks' business of late
Hope the Gradin news doesn't bite us in the ass in a Swedish way.

Reactions: arttk and Lindgren

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Pretty easy to argue Gradin as one of our better scouts, which makes me wonder what metric they're using to evaluate.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
You're just talking past me, ignoring nearly every explanation I give, then saying I didn't give any. This is pointless.

I don't know what your problem is. You're trying to convince people that there is a market for d-men like Kulak and Ceci and literally every person I've seen reply to you has given reasons why that is probably not the case.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
For those that don't know, Gradin has been a western Canadian scout for quite a long time. Johnston said as much in the article @Lindgren linked.

Gradin had first built his reputation scouting in Sweden but had primarily scouted the BCHL and Western Hockey League over the past decade or so

Reactions: Lindgren

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
I don't know what your problem is. You're trying to convince people that there is a market for d-men like Kulak and Ceci and literally every person I've seen reply to you has given reasons why that is probably not the case.
To choose one example among far too many to list -- if you think the presence of Jarred Tinordi on a team is a reason they wouldn't have interest in Brett Kulak, you aren't really talking about anything. You're just trying to find words that don't instantly look out of place at first glance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad