Grub's Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Offer Sheets?!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
To choose one example among far too many to list -- if you think the presence of Jarred Tinordi on a team is a reason they wouldn't have interest in Brett Kulak, you aren't really talking about anything. You're just trying to find words that don't instantly look out of place at first glance.

Kulak and Ceci have zero value.

Rebuilding teams will want their minutes to younger players.
Contending teams want needle movers. And they don't want to spend their CAP in August.and do Edmonton any favours.

They have zilch value.

Sexy Necksy Garland

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Yes can easily see Descharnais sitting. Myers is a third pair dman. You just listed out a dcore that clearly needs a puck mover on the right side lol.

If Willander looks good, he's going to get a shot before the playoffs.

This is all based on him looking looking amazing during his college season.
If JT likes Willander he'll get Coach Rick to give the kid a leash.

Reactions: Bgav

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
For those that don't know, Gradin has been a western Canadian scout for quite a long time. Johnston said as much in the article @Lindgren linked.

Gradin had first built his reputation scouting in Sweden but had primarily scouted the BCHL and Western Hockey League over the past decade or so
I might be in small minority, but majority of our scouts haven’t been anything remarkable really, Gradin included. I mean our draft record is kind of proof of this over the last 15 years.

I think Gradin will take credit for Willander, Lekkerimaki, and D-Petey, but as far as his own personal track record goes beyond that, it really does seem mediocre, especially if we’re talking about the WHL.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
I might be in small minority, but majority of our scouts haven’t been anything remarkable really, Gradin included. I mean our draft record is kind of proof of this over the last 15 years.

I think Gradin will take credit for Willander, Lekkerimaki, and D-Petey, but as far as his own personal track record goes beyond that, it really does seem mediocre, especially if we’re talking about the WHL.
Gradin, I think, was responsible for finding Edler.

Reactions: sting101

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Patrick Johnson has a story on personnel changes in the Canucks organization, including the departure of Kate Pettersen. There's been some discussion about this in the Media thread and also in the Scouting thread, but I thought it best to post here.

Without making a big deal about it, Johnson debunks the idea that Thomas Gradin stepped back to be with family:

"let go." That's pretty clear.

The link:
Turnover the name of the game in the Vancouver Canucks' business of late
that is a pretty impressive non-hockey ops churn rate, including a bunch of recent hires. it looks like a big chunk of their communications group got fired over something during the playoffs. a party or an off colour video for private use only maybe.

also sorry to see gradin leave like that.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
How is the defence set up in a way for Willander to make his debut this season? Is one of Hronek, Myers, Descharnais going to move to the left side? Will one of them sit? Will Willander start his career on his off side?

If the team's D is healthy and we're in playoff contention, I don't see Willander on the team this year, at least not in the regular season.
We have two third pair RHD and haven’t made a trade for a second or first pair, even contract length seems aligned with his potential timeline.

Reactions: Chiripa20

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
that is a pretty impressive non-hockey ops churn rate, including a bunch of recent hires. it looks like a big chunk of their communications group got fired over something during the playoffs. a party or an off colour video for private use only maybe.

also sorry to see gradin leave like that.
So our most senior European scout hosted a wild party during the playoffs with our communications team and is no longer allowed to spend time with his family?

This is what I'm getting from all of this.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Gradin should have been allowed to “spend more time with his family” or “pursue new opportunities” rather than getting fired.
Did he? It's a little weird that as such a big Canuck player and scout that this hasn't been explained better. At 68 it's possible he just wasn't into it anymore and "moving on" meant the team decided to hire more motivated personnel as he's retiring.

IDK but it's a little weird

One thing that teams seem to be and should be moving away from is just handing ex players a booklet and getting them to "scout" for easy pay checks. Gradin seemed to do a fine job but without a doubt these jobs have to yield results. If things weren't adding up to his reports then it's time to hire new blood

Most people online seem to get fixated on "finding players" which is fair given that's all we have for context but behind the scenes there would be a lot more when you review what he's been handing in for WHL player evaluations and is missing more than hitting his projections.

I've met and talked to Thomas at Giants games....i did get the feeling he was starting to wind down. Nice man quirky and a Canuck legend. Wish him all the best.

Not many of the early eighties Canucks still around doing things with the team

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010

Gradin hasn't even being scouting Sweden so crediting him for these Swedish players might be misappropriated.

Anyways, sad to see a long tenured soldier go but the industry & scouting discipline is totally different now. And like you say, the historical results from this long tenured scouting group hasn't exactly screamed 'keep this group together running things at all costs.'

never a better time for the Canucks to rethink their amateur approach.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Gradin hasn't even being scouting Sweden so crediting him for these Swedish players might be misappropriated.

Anyways, sad to see a long tenured soldier go but the industry & scouting discipline is totally different now. And like you say, the historical results from this long tenured scouting group hasn't exactly screamed 'keep this group together running things at all costs.'

never a better time for the Canucks to rethink their amateur approach.
We need this guy:

1723922327307.png

Reactions: andora

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
the pens amateur scouting has been frankly awful so it's a little concerning seeing large scale turnover in scouting

Reactions: dez

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
jonah hill's character is fictional

I don't really think you can justify outright firing someone who also functions as an ambassador for Indigenous communities.

My guess is that his role has been significantly reduced.
it might also be we have the wrong idea about Delorme. we don't really know what goes behind closed doors.

Reactions: Vector

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I don't really think you can justify outright firing someone who also functions as an ambassador for Indigenous communities.

My guess is that his role has been significantly reduced.

I don't think that has much to do with it, Aquilini just has a soft spot for alumni. They're allowed to just hang around.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
jonah hill's character is fictional
Not really. Different name, but based on this guy: Peter Brand's character is based on Paul DePodesta, who is a real-life baseball executive with a strong background in economics. He was the central figure in the implementation of sabermetrics, and even though the film has changed the name and background of the person, his tactics, talent, and analysis remain intact.

Reactions: andora

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad