Grub's Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Offer Sheets?!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Gradin hasn't even being scouting Sweden so crediting him for these Swedish players might be misappropriated.

Anyways, sad to see a long tenured soldier go but the industry & scouting discipline is totally different now. And like you say, the historical results from this long tenured scouting group hasn't exactly screamed 'keep this group together running things at all costs.'

never a better time for the Canucks to rethink their amateur approach.
Don’t worry, we are going all in, we won’t have any picks to use lol

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Not really. Different name, but based on this guy: Peter Brand's character is based on Paul DePodesta, who is a real-life baseball executive with a strong background in economics. He was the central figure in the implementation of sabermetrics, and even though the film has changed the name and background of the person, his tactics, talent, and analysis remain intact.
I know all this, but he's still fictional, he's not really based on a real person if they change everything about him.

Reactions: Vector

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
I know all this, but he's still fictional, he's not really based on a real person if they change everything about him.
The essential aspect - the use of economics and sabermetrics as a new form of analysis in sport for the purposes of scouting and building a team - is true. As is the team and GM involved and the results. Which was the point of my referencing him, even if largely as a joke, a joke which is now ruined.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Rebuilding teams will want their minutes to younger players.
The poster I replied to listed Jarred Tinordi as a player blocking the Blackhawks' acquisition of another defenceman. Jarred Tinordi is 32 and has never played a full season without long stretches of healthy scratches or demotions to the AHL.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
The essential aspect - the use of economics and sabermetrics as a new form of analysis in sport for the purposes of scouting and building a team - is true. As is the team and GM involved and the results. Which was the point of my referencing him, even if largely as a joke, a joke which is now ruined.
I not gonna lie, Jonah Hill is such a little bitch that I went out of my way to ruin the joke.

Reactions: Vector and ziploc

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Don’t worry, we are going all in, we won’t have any picks to use lol
Have not had many over the past 5 drafts. 2 firsts (22 & 23), 2 seconds (21 and 23) in the 202X's drafts. And only the 2 firsts remain with the organization. Bruz was dealt and klim is leaving.
Pro scouting going to be very important as they are not going to be able to continue to extend everyone on bigger contracts than they just had. Have to swap some of them out for someone making about the same.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Have not had many over the past 5 drafts. 2 firsts (22 & 23), 2 seconds (21 and 23) in the 202X's drafts. And only the 2 firsts remain with the organization. Bruz was dealt and klim is leaving.
Pro scouting going to be very important as they are not going to be able to continue to extend everyone on bigger contracts than they just had. Have to swap some of them out for someone making about the same.
Oh yeah pro scouting is going to be key, I think most of the departures are amateur side no?

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
We actually had 2 3rd round picks in 23. Our only 2nd is Klimovich so far this decade.

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
I know the roster is practically set but the longer he's available the more I want McGroarty, that skillet & elc is too perfect a fit for this team short and long term.
What would you give up for him?

I would think it would take either Willander and a 1st or 2nd or Hoglander, Lekkerimaki and something else.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013

I would think it would take either Willander and a 1st or 2nd or Hoglander, Lekkerimaki and something else.
Ideally some combo of Hog + Pod & picks gets it done, and Honestly I'd be fine with all of the above, wouldn't be surprised if wpg aiming higher than that quality wise however.
I feel like the organization likes those players/assets more than they want Rutger, but I think it's more than worthwhile for an enormous upgrade.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Ideally some combo of Hog + Pod & picks gets it done, and Honestly I'd be fine with all of the above, wouldn't be surprised if wpg aiming higher than that quality wise however.
I feel like the organization likes those players/assets more than they want Rutger, but I think it's more than worthwhile for an enormous upgrade.
When it comes to acquiring young players, 'character' matters. I have no idea what kind of a young guy McGroarty is or why he had a falling out with the Jets. But I worry about any kid and his agent who basically spurn the team that drafted him for 'personal reasons'.

And before even considering putting Wilander, Hoglander, Podkolzin, or heaven-forbid yet another first round draft pick on the table for this kid, I'd want to be damn sure what I was getting.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Chevy has proven to be very patient. His pressure point won't come until the 2025 draft to move Rutger. If the 2025 draft comes and goes, without a signing or trade, then it gets into diminishing returns for the Jets.
For Rutger, if he does return for his junior year, then if he signs, he burns and ELC year and hits RFA at age 23. If he doesn't sign and is moved after the season, he needs to complete the full 3 year ELC until he's 24, which will be the same age he will be would be if he does go all the way to NCAA free agency as he'd only need to do a 2 year elc. So, for him, his pressure point is the TDL as that impacts when he can complete his elc.

Reactions: LemonSauceD

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
When it comes to acquiring young players, 'character' matters. I have no idea what kind of a young guy McGroarty is or why he had a falling out with the Jets. But I worry about any kid and his agent who basically spurn the team that drafted him for 'personal reasons'.

And before even considering putting Wilander, Hoglander, Podkolzin, or heaven-forbid yet another first round draft pick on the table for this kid, I'd want to be damn sure what I was getting.
He is a bit of a character. He was the kid overly taunting and acting like a child towards Sweden players and fans at the WJC after they’ve already won it and looking at some of his highlights at the NCAA, he does the same prickly little things. But a lot of that doesn’t really matter as long as teammates can gel with the guy.

there’s definitely risk to an American born prospect already demanding out. agreed in that they need to do their due diligence if they want to acquire a player like that. but I like the logic of going after a player in McGroarty’s/Jets situstion.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
He is a bit of a character. He was the kid overly taunting and acting like a child towards Sweden players and fans at the WJC after they’ve already won it and looking at some of his highlights at the NCAA, he does the same prickly little things. But a lot of that doesn’t really matter as long as teammates can gel with the guy.

there’s definitely risk to an American born prospect already demanding out. agreed in that they need to do their due diligence if they want to acquire a player like that. but I like the logic of going after a player in McGroarty’s/Jets situstion.
Not sure what is up with NHL.com but their Jets roster lists 11 C (some of them had to have played Wing for the Jets) and only 5 Wingers in Connor, Ehlers, Nino Neidereiter, Iafollo, and Fallby. Jets need to decide on Ehlers as he's UFA at the end of the season. On paper, you'd think Rutger could make their lineup. But, like any young player, he'd have to play well to maintain that spot or risk getting sent down to the Moose.

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
Podz is nearly worthless at this point. It'd have to be at least a 1st going back with those two.

Good sign Edmonton isn't matching the offer sheets.
Oh shit. Told you so!

Man, I would have rather kept him at that price and seen what he could do in camp.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Podz is nearly worthless at this point. It'd have to be at least a 1st going back with those two.

Oh shit
Fine by me.
But yea clearly pod has been available all summer with little to no interest. Not surprising but we still got more value than he's realistically worth.

Convenient timing for your response tho lmao.

Also pod trade lowkey gets me more hyped for a McGroarty level addition.

Reactions: mathonwy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad