Grub's Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Offer Sheets?!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
I wasn't expecting Ceci to be a cap dump but nor was I expecting Edmonton to get a good player in return. Edmonton's coming out of this pretty well.

Reactions: quat and sting101

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
emberson would've been a good add for us for a 3rd :(

my guess is they match broberg but move him somewhere else for an upgrade once they've accrued cap space from kane being ltir'd

something like kulak + broberg to columbus for provorov

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Isn’t there a rule that he can’t be traded for a season if they match the offer sheet?
Yes, it’s a bit weird because Broberg seems unhappy in Edmonton and locking him there for at least a year and hoping he plays 1. well and 2. happily is a weird one.

Unless of course, they end up matching Holloway and letting Broberg walk even with the Ceci dump. Gives them even more flexibility. Emberson was a good get.

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
I wasn't expecting Ceci to be a cap dump but nor was I expecting Edmonton to get a good player in return. Edmonton's coming out of this pretty well.
I can't believe that they got a player with potential in Emberson in return as well. Mike Grier has got to be the new "Benning", he's every GM's second call to see if they can beat the price that another team has put forth. Grier is asking what he can throw in to sweeten the pot to take that player off their hands.

Reactions: racerjoe

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Carried us last season
True, but when you hit in a prospect you have their rights for several years . UFA signings, up to the end of their 1-2 year deal and then you are competing with the rest of the league for their services.

Down to a pair of top 2 round draft picks remaining with the organization from the 202X drafts.

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
Makes sense given that Saros extension.

I'm sure they are asking way too much for him, goalie trade value is already pretty muted even when you are further along in your career. Would expect a positional swap of two similar close to NHL ready prospects.
San Jose would be a team then. Blackwood would fit in the Nashville cap.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
San Jose would be a team then. Blackwood would fit in the Nashville cap.

NSH has Wedgewood signed for two years, so they'd have a crowded net behind Saros.

But I agree, SJS should be all over this to get a U23 goalie to grow with Celebrini/Smith core. They have some assets from the Hertl trade they could use, as well as being paid a 2nd + 3rd to take on Ceci/Walman.

Reactions: Vector

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Matching the seemingly unhappy defenseman at 4.6M(!) who may or may not work out, at arguably near the peak of their contention window, seems like a very risky move… I love it. Hope it doesn’t work out.

I think he's pretty happy guaranteeing himself 9MM USD + a 4.5MM QO. Just completely de-risked himself against a career ending injury.

Reactions: arttk

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I think he's pretty happy guaranteeing himself 9MM USD + a 4.5MM QO. Just completely de-risked himself against a career ending injury.

Rather masterful stroke by Broberg and his reps. He got basically everything he wanted (ie. contract, removal of veterans ahead of him in the line-up, etc.). Now obviously it's up to him to deliver, but he doesn't have to give the money back either way.

Reactions: oceanchild

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Rather masterful stroke by Broberg and his reps. He got basically everything he wanted (ie. contract, removal of veterans ahead of him in the line-up, etc.). Now obviously it's up to him to deliver, but he doesn't have to give the money back either way.
At least the money is set for him. Remaining in Edm means playing on his offside, with Nurse. If he's just decent and isn't worth the $4.6 mill QO, (say he's more a $2.5 mill player), probably doesn't get his QO and hits the free agent market at 25. Or he's actually good enough to warrant his QO, which would mean he's close to being worth that and will have a career to make even more money.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Makes sense given that Saros extension.

I'm sure they are asking way too much for him, goalie trade value is already pretty muted even when you are further along in your career. Would expect a positional swap of two similar close to NHL ready prospects.
I don't think any of Askarov, Wallstedt, Cossa, or any of the young goalies are going to fetch that much until they show that they are solid NHL goalies. Askarov is a prospect swap IMO at this point.

Again, I was surprised Nash took him with Lundell on the board in 2020 and them having Sarros. Min/Det at where they took their guys made way more sense than using a top 10 pick on one.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco

He's a 1/3rd buyout next summer so he's "only" guaranteed himself $6M or so, but yes, agreed he should be pretty happy.

I actually think the buyout is a very realistic possibility if Edmonton needs to clear cap to retain Draisaitl/Bouchard ... he's potentially an intriguing Forbort replacement :D

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
For two more years. For $9 million I’d do that.
😆
1724093466491.png

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad