Grub's Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Offer Sheets?!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
fun times. this looks to be working out just as st louis hoped. they get holloway because the oilers are not prepared to give up broberg. i guess they still might match both though and put kane on ltir.

not sure i understand why san jose even wanted ceci let alone give up a devloping rhd to take him on. they must be pretty low on emberson is all i can think.

broberg has to go into that locker room now after helping force ceci (and probably holloway) out of it on a team that thinks it should win the cup. that will be a high wire act for him.

this has all the ingredients of a big step back for the oilers. chuckle.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Speculation is that the Oilers will now 'match' the Blues contract offers to Broberg and Holloway. But why? Broberg and his agent wanted out earlier last season; and he apparently hasn't been happy with his status for years. And they probably see Podkolzin as a potentially cheaper option than Holloway. Good speed, decent on the forecheck, but hands of stone.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
fun times. this looks to be working out just as st louis hoped. they get holloway because the oilers are not prepared to give up broberg. i guess they still might match both though and put kane on ltir.

not sure i understand why san jose even wanted ceci let alone give up a devloping rhd to take him on. they must be pretty low on emberson is all i can think.

broberg has to go into that locker room now after helping force ceci (and probably holloway) out of it on a team that thinks it should win the cup. that will be a high wire act for him.

this has all the ingredients of a big step back for the oilers. chuckle.
The flip side is that despite any ill feelings they may have, they are going to need Broberg to perform. Not as likely to occur if they make him feel like crap. He can't get traded during the season. Waived, yes.... But, what would he be playing like in order to get waived....

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Speculation is that the Oilers will now 'match' the Blues contract offers to Broberg and Holloway. But why? Broberg and his agent wanted out earlier last season; and he apparently hasn't been happy with his status for years. And they probably see Podkolzin as a potentially cheaper option than Holloway. Good speed, decent on the forecheck, but hands of stone.

It will be interesting to see what happens. Jason Gregor doesn't agree that they will match.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
We have two third pair RHD and haven’t made a trade for a second or first pair, even contract length seems aligned with his potential timeline.

Those two RHDs have contract lengths of 2 years and 3 years and they aren't paid #7 Dman salaries. How does that line up with Willander being on the roster at the end of this season?

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
The flip side is that despite any ill feelings they may have, they are going to need Broberg to perform. Not as likely to occur if they make him feel like crap. He can't get traded during the season. Waived, yes.... But, what would he be playing like in order to get waived....
so a high wire act for all concerned then. yeah.

Those two RHDs have contract lengths of 2 years and 3 years and they aren't paid #7 Dman salaries. How does that line up with Willander being on the roster at the end of this season?
if willander makes it they will trade someone.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
It will be interesting to see what happens. Jason Gregor doesn't agree that they will match.

Converting Broberg + Ceci + Holloway + 3rd + 4th into Emberson + Podkolzin + 2nd + 3rd +~$8MM in cap hit (sort of) would actually be pretty good asset management from the dirtbag GM. Stash Kane in the infirmary until the playoffs and you've got a lot of the ingredients for a capoligist's wet dream meal.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Converting Broberg + Ceci + Holloway + 3rd + 4th into Emberson + Podkolzin + 2nd + 3rd +~$8MM in cap hit (sort of) would actually be pretty good asset management from the dirtbag GM. Stash Kane in the infirmary until the playoffs and you've got a lot of the ingredients for a capoligist's wet dream meal.
Except that that $8M never should have occurred in the first place. They should have already signed Broberg and Holloway for a total of around $3M and retained their rights.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Except that that $8M never should have occurred in the first place. They should have already signed Broberg and Holloway for a total of around $3M and retained their rights.
EDM tried to squeeze both guys down to as low as they could get which was something like just over $2.5 mill give or take or whatever they had in cap room. Got caught by a team willing to hand out an OS.

Reactions: iceburg

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
Time will tell. but it doesn't sound like Broberg's ask was reasonable for a guy that had been unable to play his way into a full time NHL job and was no longer going to be waiver exempt.

It pains me to say it, but Bowman played this hand well (especially if he walks from both offer sheets). I'm probably biased though, Emberson is a guy I've wanted for a while.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I would also not be particularly comfortable with either of those deals hanging around with the Oilers upcoming contract situations. Especially the Broberg deal.

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
EDM tried to squeeze both guys down to as low as they could get which was something like just over $2.5 mill give or take or whatever they had in cap room. Got caught by a team willing to hand out an OS.
Neither guy had shown they were worth much more than their QOs. I doubt any other GM would have played it differently.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I would also not be particularly comfortable with either of those deals hanging around with the Oilers upcoming contract situations. Especially the Broberg deal.

The strange thing about this is I'd have taken a 2nd for Broberg.

If they don't match, I wonder if the Oilers will immediately try and turn the draft drafts picks into a defenceman.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Look at the Oilers defense and goaltending after subtracting Broberg and Ceci. I don't really like Ceci as a defensemen, but he was 4th overall in average minutes on defense in the regular season, and 3rd overall in the playoffs, so to lose him and replace him with Emberson who isn't even an NHL player at this point. And while I don't like Broberg much either he at least was set to be cheap depth that could develop into something more.

I think this summer would be almost an unmitigated disaster if the Oilers let Broberg go (or even keep him), and go into the season with the following:

Ekholm - Bouchard
Nurse - Brown
Kulak - Emberson
Stecher

Josh Brown played 14:45 minutes last year, and was 10th in average time on ice of defensemen for Arizona (yikes!), Emberson played only 30 games and averaged the sixth most time on ice of defensemen for San Jose. And Stecher only was able to get into 7 games with Edmonton last year.

So three of your top seven are probably not NHL defensemen, or if they are, have only been able to do so on the bottom pairing for bad teams.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

If they don't match, I wonder if the Oilers will immediately try and turn the draft drafts picks into a defenceman.

It seems the Oilers mostly value cost control for their support guys (thus Podz makes some sense).

I assume they wanted to grind Broberg and Holloway down on 1-2 year deals to try to keep them under control on cheap contracts. Obviously did not work (in fact, I’d argue this is a pretty clear reason offer sheets exist). I don’t think they were looking to move them.

But now their cost control is effectively gone, the Oilers are probably squirrelly about keeping them around with their upcoming contracts over the next 2 years.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012

Ya, based on my above thoughts, I would think so.

Reactions: Vector

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013

That'd be my guess, Emberson & Podkolzin are the OS replacements, move ceci for cap space and flexibility to upgrade on him.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Time will tell. but it doesn't sound like Broberg's ask was reasonable for a guy that had been unable to play his way into a full time NHL job and was no longer going to be waiver exempt.

It pains me to say it, but Bowman played this hand well (especially if he walks from both offer sheets). I'm probably biased though, Emberson is a guy I've wanted for a while.
Except that their D depth is still their main weakness. Broberg at $2m was a risk but, if it worked, it would have solved at least some of their problems.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
The Oilers not matching either and using the 2nd+3rd pick to take advantage of the space created by the Ceci trade and Kane LTIR is probably the best case outcome for them. Annoying.

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
Except that their D depth is still their main weakness. Broberg at $2m was a risk but, if it worked, it would have solved at least some of their problems.
I would way rather have Emberson for half that cost and use the 2nd + 4.6MM in cap space to replace Ceci.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I would way rather have Emberson for half that cost and use the 2nd + 4.6MM in cap space to replace Ceci.
Depends on how they use the $4.6m
If they don’t match then they are down Ceci, Desharnais, and Broberg and have only added Emberson. The D was already fairly weak last year despite performing well at times in the playoffs. And they are pretty much up against the cap once Kane returns.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010

i doubt the store people are talking to hockey ops at all. Situation is uncertain, dependent on Oilers making deals, so remove them from the store for a bit until the situations finalized.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
i doubt the store people are talking to hockey ops at all. Situation is uncertain, dependent on Oilers making deals, so remove them from the store for a bit until the situations finalized.
We are under 24 hours from the decision. Is there a reason for that IT/social media team to make an update until hockey ops announces their decision? Figure the hockey ops group would keep a tight lid on things.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad