OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Sneaking up onto training camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
Fields worst miss that I can recall was that one to Van Jefferson on maybe the first or second drive against the Falcons. Rolling to his right and he didn't even get it anywhere close to his target on what should've been a layup. Was covered in the QB school video

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Regardless of thoughts on how well Fields has played, Tomlin said today that they’re preparing for Fields to start week 3 regardless. I think this will be a better test because the Chargers have a big enough offensive threat where they likely won’t have the luxury of only throwing 20 times again. I think we’ll get a lot of good information from this game, especially with how Fields handles pressure from Bosa and Mack.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
I’m not gonna argue that Fields missed some guys but I’d take a guess that if you looked at the film for 80% of QBs so far this year, you’re going to find plenty of cases of them missing open players.

For me, I just don’t expect Wilson to do any better. If you do, I get wanting to see what he has to offer.

Reactions: T1K

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
If Wilson can give more to the offence, that's more important than what improves Fields quickest.
i think that "the plan" is jf will be the starter next year if not sooner. and sometimes you need to take a step back to go forward. instant gratification is not always the best way to go.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
We’ll see what QB school’s opinion is when he does the breakdown of this play. He’s very critical of these sorts of things. Personally I don’t have a problem with his decision making here.
You know they’re sending this blitz. You know you got to get it out quick. They slide protection to that side as well. You know where free rusher is coming from.

Unless this an option route - have to think Pickens is the first read there.

to me these are plays where Fields shows he’s not going to be a real QB in this league. Personally just think you gotta hit that.

Could RW scramble for 16 there? No. But I want to see if he can hit the slants. Fields has played really good “backup QB” ball, just want to see if RW can give you more.

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
Regardless of thoughts on how well Fields has played, Tomlin said today that they’re preparing for Fields to start week 3 regardless. I think this will be a better test because the Chargers have a big enough offensive threat where they likely won’t have the luxury of only throwing 20 times again. I think we’ll get a lot of good information from this game, especially with how Fields handles pressure from Bosa and Mack.

Harbaugh is coaching the same way as Tomlin. Herbert has thrown the ball 46 times, Fields 43. It's going to be 3 yards and a cloud of dust all game.

I don't see it as a game to see if Fields can sling it.......

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
That’s kind of the point.

Listen I defended him week 1 in a similar situation but this is so wide open. And that’s the problem: It’s 16 yard run where he’s got to evade defenders vs a 30 plus chunk play. One is a lot more repeatable than the other.

Does he need to take a hit to make the throw? Probably. But hit this man! (I know it’s super blurry so if you want to look yourself I’m screenshotting the 0:03 mark). That’s really not a big ask. The free rusher wouldn’t be able to get there if he throws with anticipation and the whole reason the pressure affects the play and he has to run is because he held the ball. They also know the rusher is coming pre-snap. You know you have to get it out. Play is just a good microcosm of why I don’t see him as a future option. Top tier QB makes the D pay for that blitz.

View attachment 907503
Agree to disagree on that play I guess. I think he does identify the free rusher and responds accordingly. I get what you're saying about wanting a QB that plays with next level anticipation, the problem is that I don't think Fields or Wilson are that guy. That was never Russ's MO even when he was in Seattle. To quote JT O'Sullivan, they're both See it - Throw it QB's.

It's a moot point right now though because Russ still isn't practicing and I'm starting to wonder if he'll ever be 100% at any point this season. I apologize to whoever I criticized during training camp about trying to exaggerate the extent of this injury.

Harbaugh is coaching the same way as Tomlin. Herbert has thrown the ball 46 times, Fields 43. It's going to be 3 yards and a cloud of dust all game.

I don't see it as a game to see if Fields can sling it.......
Week 3 preview

1933 football.gif

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I’m not gonna argue that Fields missed some guys but I’d take a guess that if you looked at the film for 80% of QBs so far this year, you’re going to find plenty of cases of them missing open players.

For me, I just don’t expect Wilson to do any better. If you do, I get wanting to see what he has to offer.

I don't know that I'd even expect Wilson to do better. He's not the sort of QB who's got a great history at using all those short-intermediate throws to move a team. His skill set is a lot like Fields, only now less athletic and with less history of judgment lapses. Fields hasn't really showed judgment lapses here, but he's been sheltered.

I just don't see any reason not to find out either.

i think that "the plan" is jf will be the starter next year if not sooner. and sometimes you need to take a step back to go forward. instant gratification is not always the best way to go.

I don't know that is the plan. Maybe one plan, but it feels rather fluid.

But in any case, if that is the intention... my hasty, uneducated guess would be it's six of one and half a dozen of the other. You want raw players to get reps so starting is good, but sheltered "don't do anything bad" reps only accomplish so much. Training maybe lets him focus on what he needs to do most, but there's only so many training reps.

Really, if the idea is take a step back to go forward with Fields, then they need to keep him in and take the training wheels off and be willing to get a bit kill or cure. Since they won't do that though... yeah, I don't really know what's best.

It's a moot point right now though because Russ still isn't practicing and I'm starting to wonder if he'll ever be 100% at any point this season. I apologize to whoever I criticized during training camp about trying to exaggerate the extent of this injury.

I think it took Burrow about 5 to 6 weeks to get through his calf sprain last season. Tomlin called Fields as starting the Chargers game before they even played this one so I assume the doctors have given a timeline of maybe for the Colts game. Got to think he might still be hampered for that and there's no point rushing.

Even so, based on Burrow's timeline, he should be back for the Raiders game at latest providing he doesn't aggravate it again.

Last edited:

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I get what you're saying about wanting a QB that plays with next level anticipation, the problem is that I don't think Fields or Wilson are that guy. That was never Russ's MO even when he was in Seattle. To quote JT O'Sullivan, they're both See it - Throw it QB's.

I agree with all this. I just don’t think what Fields has done warrants not seeing what Wilson has got. I say that even though I agree Wilson really seems like a poor fit for what I’m asking for.

Reactions: Peat

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
Fields isn't going to take this team anywhere now or in the future. If they have a prayer of making any kind of run this year, they need Russ to find a youthful form. Fortunately they've opened with a pretty favorable early schedule. If they beat the Chargers in the opener this weekend, they should be set pretty well set to make the post-season with a decent chance the Ravens start 0-3. Get Russ healthy in time for a pretty manageable October.

Reactions: Night Shift

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021

What people aren't considering is RW isn't even healthy. Wasn't he Qb3 last week?
Long road to go with RW healing properly before we can even think about changing QB's.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
What people aren't considering is RW isn't even healthy. Wasn't he Qb3 last week?
Long road to go with RW healing properly before we can even think about changing QB's.

He was actually inactive last week, he just likes dressing even when he's inactive for some reason.

I think Wilson being out until week 9 is the best case scenario, because it gives them ample time to evaluate Fields and see what they have with him. If they want to change QBs, they'll have their bye in week 9 to be extra prepared for the QB swap once week 10 rolls around. Their first 8 games are pretty light IMO, with having games against the Chargers, Colts, Cowboys, Raiders, Jets and Giants through week 8.

I think they'd realistically be sitting around 5-3 or 6-2 at that point, and if they want to change QBs, they can go to a fresh Wilson as the AFC North gauntlet starts.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
He was actually inactive last week, he just likes dressing even when he's inactive for some reason.

I think Wilson being out until week 9 is the best case scenario, because it gives them ample time to evaluate Fields and see what they have with him. If they want to change QBs, they'll have their bye in week 9 to be extra prepared for the QB swap once week 10 rolls around. Their first 8 games are pretty light IMO, with having games against the Chargers, Colts, Cowboys, Raiders, Jets and Giants through week 8.

I think they'd realistically be sitting around 5-3 or 6-2 at that point, and if they want to change QBs, they can go to a fresh Wilson as the AFC North gauntlet starts.

If that's the situation, would you (or any HC) consider putting Wilson in at that juncture? That's right in the middle of the season. Hard for any QB to come in at that point.

As long as JF is putting up a winning record I don't see Tomlin deviating.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If that's the situation, would you (or any HC) consider putting Wilson in at that juncture? That's right in the middle of the season. Hard for any QB to come in at that point.

As long as JF is putting up a winning record I don't see Tomlin deviating.

If Fields isn't playing well and they're winning in spite of Fields, I would expect them to make that change, yeah. I think it's either give Wilson the bye week to get ready or have him start against the Giants as an easy game, since the Giants are asscheeks.

Who knows what Tomlin ends up doing, but beating a bunch of bad teams like the Broncos, Jets and Giants with Fields playing poorly shouldn't let Fields maintain the starter's spot.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
If Fields isn't playing well and they're winning in spite of Fields, I would expect them to make that change, yeah. I think it's either give Wilson the bye week to get ready or have him start against the Giants as an easy game, since the Giants are asscheeks.

Who knows what Tomlin ends up doing, but beating a bunch of bad teams like the Broncos, Jets and Giants with Fields playing poorly shouldn't let Fields maintain the starter's spot.

I agree- it shouldn't.
But MT has allowed poor play to continue for eons until he finally moves on.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
We're coming up on 8 weeks since the original injury, 2 since he re aggravated during a route on air portion of practice. Totally unscientific way to go about this but if we assume it's a grade 2 sprain and the aggravation resets the clock, maybe he's ready again weeks 5-6? Who knows 🤷‍♂️. But if he's not able to sprint and protect himself you can't put him out there.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Chargers are no pushover. They have the #1 scoring defense and the #2 rushing attack through 2 weeks. We're only 1.5 pt favorites due to home field advantage.
They played the panthers. They don’t have anyone to slow down GP. We have a better back 7. They are riding our friend Dobbins and hired the ravens OC
You can play with 8 in the box against them

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I wouldn't take the Chargers lightly but judging from their gameplan, I doubt they're going to run away with this one and make it a track meet. Famous last words...

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
This team should be really familiar with how the Chargers are going to play. It’s a Greg Roman offense so it’s gonna probably play out like a lot of the Steelers/Ravens games that we’ve seen.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad