Grub's Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Offer Sheets?!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver
How is the defence set up in a way for Willander to make his debut this season? Is one of Hronek, Myers, Descharnais going to move to the left side? Will one of them sit? Will Willander start his career on his off side?

If the team's D is healthy and we're in playoff contention, I don't see Willander on the team this year, at least not in the regular season.
Yes can easily see Descharnais sitting. Myers is a third pair dman. You just listed out a dcore that clearly needs a puck mover on the right side lol.

If Willander looks good, he's going to get a shot before the playoffs.

This is all based on him looking looking amazing during his college season.

John Garretts KD

Aug 4, 2024
How is that setting up the defence in a way for Willander to make his debut this season though?
It’s not. It just seems likely, given Willander will probably play the full college season. Injuries tend to pile up more as the season wears on and if we are locked into a playoff spot, I could see them resting players, which would open up a spot for Willander to get a handful of games in.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
While I think the team should probably just bite the bullet to move Poolman, trading him and a sweetener for Kulak seems like a good option too - get a big upgrade on Forbort/Juulsen while still likely banking a similar amount of money for the deadline.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
While I think the team should probably just bite the bullet to move Poolman, trading him and a sweetener for Kulak seems like a good option too - get a big upgrade on Forbort/Juulsen while still likely banking a similar amount of money for the deadline.

I suspect the Oilers would rather pay whatever the freight is to move Kulak straight across versus helping the Canucks out like that. There are apparently a few teams interested, but they are asking for sweeteners.

Reactions: Hodgy

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I suspect the Oilers would rather pay whatever the freight is to move Kulak straight across versus helping the Canucks out like that. There are apparently a few teams interested, but they are asking for sweeteners.

Living Fallout 1 NPC Bruce Garrioch is the one I've see report on this.

League executives told Postmedia on Thursday that the Oilers were trying to get the contracts of defencemen Cody Ceci ($3.25 million) and Brent Kulak ($2.75) million off the books so they could match the offer sheets, and we’re told there are teams that have shown interest.

But, if teams are going to make those deals, they’re going to want something extra from the Oilers to take on Ceci or Kulak’s contracts. We’re told that could be a first- or second-round pick in both scenarios because teams know they’ve got Jackson cornered.

Reactions: racerjoe and timw33

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
Yeah, I get why they’d lean that way, and it ultimately depends on what the ask is from other teams, but I think teams are often too conservative when it comes to those things. Sure, if you’re dealing your star player don’t send him to your competitor, but if you’re willing to give up a first/second and not get a sweetener from the Canucks just so the Canucks don’t get Brett Kulak you’ve lost the plot.

If they don’t take the best value deal, they might even get Mike Hoffman’d - watch the team taking on Kulak just to get a sweetener flip him to the Canucks for Poolman and another sweetener.

Reactions: Vector

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Living Fallout 1 NPC Bruce Garrioch is the one I've see report on this.

League executives told Postmedia on Thursday that the Oilers were trying to get the contracts of defencemen Cody Ceci ($3.25 million) and Brent Kulak ($2.75) million off the books so they could match the offer sheets, and we’re told there are teams that have shown interest.

But, if teams are going to make those deals, they’re going to want something extra from the Oilers to take on Ceci or Kulak’s contracts. We’re told that could be a first- or second-round pick in both scenarios because teams know they’ve got Jackson cornered.

I absolutely love that this is happening to the Oilers.

Imagine even paying a 1st to gut their defensive depth even more all so that they can fit in Broberg at 4.5MM—would love if they got rid of Kulak a very competent defensive 5/6 guy.

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
It’s not. It just seems likely, given Willander will probably play the full college season. Injuries tend to pile up more as the season wears on and if we are locked into a playoff spot, I could see them resting players, which would open up a spot for Willander to get a handful of games in.

It's a small possibility. Tocchet doesn't rest many players, especially dmen, and our RD is pretty resilient. Hronek missed one game, I don't think Desharnais missed any, 78 played (sat 4 games all year). Myers played in 77, I know one game he had the flu, and then I think a lower body injury close to the trade deadline. He rarely misses time.

It all depends on Willander's season and what the plan is moving forward. Maybe they get him into a game or two as incentive to sign,. If we're in a heated playoff race he may just end up in the AHL, or in the press box just as easily, with hopefully a call up to the Black Aces for playoffs. It would be fantastic if he developed so much it pushes Desharnais or Myers to the bench, but extremely unlikely.

Reactions: John Garretts KD

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I absolutely love that this is happening to the Oilers.

Imagine even paying a 1st to gut their defensive depth even more all so that they can fit in Broberg at 4.5MM—would love if they got rid of Kulak a very competent defensive 5/6 guy.

The dream is they panic, give up a 1st and 2nd to get rid of both Kulak and Ceci. Have no assets to upgrade as they'd be without a 1st and 2nd for both 2025 and 2026. Would have to run with a defence of Ekholm-Bouchard, Nurse-Broberg, and Stecher-Brown.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
They can't be so stupid as to sacrifice a 1st or Kulak to keep these guys.

To me the path forward is clear - lose Broberg, match Holloway, and now you have an extra 2nd round pick plus some cap space at the deadline. Anything else is moronic.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
They can't be so stupid as to sacrifice a 1st or Kulak to keep these guys.

To me the path forward is clear - lose Broberg, match Holloway, and now you have an extra 2nd round pick plus some cap space at the deadline. Anything else is moronic.

It's probably a 2nd for Kulak and 1st for Ceci. But, yeah, as I said when this was first announced. They obvious answer is to let Broberg walk, match Holloway, place Kane on LTIR, and, eventually, use the 2nd from Broberg to upgrade the defence.

Reactions: timw33 and TruGr1t

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
It's probably a 2nd for Kulak and 1st for Ceci. But, yeah, as I said when this was first announced. They obvious answer is to let Broberg walk, match Holloway, place Kane on LTIR, and, eventually, use the 2nd from Broberg to upgrade the defence.
Ceci and Kulak are decent bottom-pairing defenders with 1 and 2 years left on reasonable contracts respectively. I frankly don't understand why they are thought to have negative value. Why wouldn't Chicago or Anaheim take one and see where the season goes/move them with retention for an asset later?

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Ceci and Kulak are decent bottom-pairing defenders with 1 and 2 years left on reasonable contracts respectively. I frankly don't understand why they are thought to have negative value. Why wouldn't Chicago or Anaheim take one and see where the season goes/move them with retention for an asset later?

It's not that they have negative value, although Ceci's stock dropped significantly due to the playoffs and is overpaid at 3.25m, so much as the Oilers are in a significant time crunch and there's no reason for teams to not extract additional assets out of a desperate team.

Also, I don't think the Blackhawks will be making any trades with the Oilers any time soon, especially one that helps Bowman.

Reactions: timw33

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
I think we are about to learn quickly how much of a help or hindrance that Stan Bowman will be.

The stakes are huge too. A creeping sense of mismanagement could be exactly the wrong note to hit when trying to convince Draisaitl and McDavid to re-sign.

They are already an old-team. They need to be in win-now mode, so they shouldn’t be trading Kulak-now for Broberg-now, but they also such little youth (already the oldest team in the league) and cannot really afford to be trading the 1sts/2nds they do have or generally lose either Broberg or Holloway.

They are between a rock and a hard place. That they are already here is generally not a great sign for their management. This could’ve/should’ve been avoided.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
It's not that they have negative value, although Ceci's stock dropped significantly due to the playoffs and is overpaid at 3.25m, so much as the Oilers are in a significant time crunch and there's no reason for teams to not extract additional assets out of a desperate team.

Also, I don't think the Blackhawks will be making any trades with the Oilers any time soon, especially one that helps Bowman.

Exactly, it's a unique set of circumstances with a massive time crunch known by every team in the league. They smell blood in the water.

They are between a rock and a hard place. That they are already here is generally not a great sign for their management. This could’ve/should’ve been avoided.

The reports was that Broberg's camp asked for 1.8MM and Holloway around 1.25 earlier this year make this so much funnier.

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014

Time crunch, sure. But they've been working on this 24/7 since they learned of the signings and plenty of teams need defence. The leverage thing only seems to be all that relevant when the player to be traded can't really play. At the very least, I think they'll find someone to take these players for far less than 1st/2nd round picks.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Time crunch, sure. But they've been working on this 24/7 since they learned of the signings and plenty of teams need defence. The leverage thing only seems to be all that relevant when the player to be traded can't really play. At the very least, I think they'll find someone to take these players for far less than 1st/2nd round picks.

Teams that are projected to have over 2.75m capspace to start the season:

Avalanche: 2.96m(LTIR)
Bruins: 3.16m
Senators: 3.6m
Capitals: 5.54m(LTIR)
Blackhawks: 5.90m
Sabres: 6.77m
Blues: 7.33m
Canadiens: 7.73m
Utah HC: 10.75m
Blue Jackets: 11.12m
Sharks: 12.55m
Flames: 20.07m
Ducks: 21.72m

We can immediately remove the Avalanche and Blues. Flames will not be helping the Oilers. Capitals, Canadiens, and Sabres defences are set. My opinion but I really don't think the Blackhawks will make any trades with the Oilers.

So that leaves:

Ducks and Sharks already added a veteran defenceman this off-season and are integrating young players. I don't think it makes any sense for either of these teams to take playing time away. Acquiring either Kulak or Ceci would push the Bruins and Senators close to the cap ceiling. So that leaves the Blue Jackets with capspace and need (currently only have 5 defencemen signed to one-way contracts and only Jiricek is knocking at the door for playing time.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
For reference, here's every cap dump this off-season:

Jake Walman & 2nd(2025) for future considerations

Ilya Mikheyev(15% retention), Sam Lafferty(rights), & 2nd(2027) for 4th(2025)

Kevin Hayes & 2nd(2025) for future considerations

Radek Faska for future considerations

Mathieu Joseph & 3rd(2025) for future considerations

Cody Glass, 3rd(2025), & 6th(2026) for Jordan Frasca

• Love
Reactions: David71

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
Teams that are projected to have over 2.75m capspace to start the season:

Capitals: 5.54m(LTIR)
Blackhawks: 5.90m
Utah HC: 10.75m

We can immediately remove the Avalanche and Blues. Flames will not be helping the Oilers. Capitals, Canadiens, and Sabres defences are set. My opinion but I really don't think the Blackhawks will make any trades with the Oilers.

So that leaves:

Ducks and Sharks already added a veteran defenceman this off-season and are integrating young players. I don't think it makes any sense for either of these teams to take playing time away. Acquiring either Kulak or Ceci would push the Bruins and Senators close to the cap ceiling. So that leaves the Blue Jackets with capspace and need (currently only have 5 defencemen signed to one-way contracts and only Jiricek is knocking at the door for playing time.
Not trying to be a jerk, but this is a few hard facts and a whole lot of sweeping, vague assumptions and porous logic, in my opinion. Do you think the Bruins would refuse to take a physical bottom-pairing defenceman capable of playing spot top-4 minutes who isn't under contract next season because it would push them close to the cap, when their forwards are set? Or the Senators, who could bury Hamonic if they needed? Chabot hasn't played a full season is years. It seems like you're looking for reasons to cross teams off the list rather then making a dispassionate assessment of whether they have a motive to acquire Kulak or Ceci.

Also, Utah HC is listed among the teams with sufficient cap space then never mentioned again. We all saw Ian Cole take a nosedive last season, I don't think Utah would turn down Kulak at a frontloaded 2.25M in real cash.
For reference, here's every cap dump this off-season:

Jake Walman & 2nd(2025) for future considerations

Ilya Mikheyev(15% retention), Sam Lafferty(rights), & 2nd(2027) for 4th(2025)

Kevin Hayes & 2nd(2025) for future considerations

Radek Faska for future considerations

Mathieu Joseph & 3rd(2025) for future considerations

Cody Glass, 3rd(2025), & 6th(2026) for Jordan Frasca

Almost all of these players are worse and/or paid more. The imagined add-ons for Kulak and Ceci would be the least favourable of all of these moves were they to happen. Radek Faska was basically moved straight across and he's a 4th liner making 3.25M.

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Not trying to be a jerk, but this is a few hard facts and a whole lot of sweeping, vague assumptions and porous logic, in my opinion. Do you think the Bruins would refuse to take a physical bottom-pairing defenceman capable of playing spot top-4 minutes who isn't under contract next season because it would push them close to the cap, when their forwards are set? Or the Senators, who could bury Hamonic if they needed? Chabot hasn't played a full season is years. It seems like you're looking for reasons to cross teams off the list rather then making a dispassionate assessment of whether they have a motive to acquire Kulak or Ceci.

Also, Utah HC is listed among the teams with sufficient cap space then never mentioned again. We all saw Ian Cole take a nosedive last season, I don't think Utah would turn down Kulak at a frontloaded 2.25M in real cash.

Almost all of these players are worse and/or paid more. The imagined add-ons for Kulak and Ceci would be the least favourable of all of these moves were they to happen. Radek Faska was basically moved straight across and he's a 4th liner making 3.25M.
It’s August 16 and almost a month away from training camp. Most teams have their roster set and constructed to fit with the current cap space they have and would prefer to use that space combined with accrual to acquire a needle mover, both of which Ceci and Kulak aren’t. Other teams like Montreal, Anaheim etc already have a lot of depth and youth looking to make the push. Also, a lot of these teams already have Ceci/Kulak types. There’s also other teams that still need to sign their RFA’s like Detroit with Raymond and Seider.

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
Other teams like Montreal, Anaheim etc already have a lot of depth and youth looking to make the push. Also, a lot of these teams already have Ceci/Kulak types. There’s also other teams that still need to sign their RFA’s like Detroit with Raymond and Seider.
To repeat myself, a lot of teams don't have these conditions and have a clear use for Ceci/Kulak types. And Montreal has 2-3 defencemen who have ever played a full season in the NHL.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
To repeat myself, a lot of teams don't have these conditions and have a clear use for Ceci/Kulak types.
Can you give examples going the other way then?

I think a lot of teams don't want to make moves now... they will want to see how things shake out in the pre season and Camp. Leave space to make moves if needed. while both players could be useful there is also a risk of losing out on better.

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
Can you give examples going the other way then?

I think a lot of teams don't want to make moves now... they will want to see how things shake out in the pre season and Camp. Leave space to make moves if needed. while both players could be useful there is also a risk of losing out on better.
I've mentioned 4 of them in previous posts within the last hour or so.

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
To repeat myself, a lot of teams don't have these conditions and have a clear use for Ceci/Kulak types.
Who’s the “a lot” of teams? Vector put out a list of teams that have at minimum $2.75M of cap space.

Capitals: 5.54m(LTIR
)

Blackhawks: 5.90m (Jones, Korchinski, Martinez, Vlasic, Tinordi, Murphy, Brodie)

(Matheson, Guhle, Hutson, Barron, Xhekaj, Savard, Struble, Harris)

Utah HC: 10.75m (Sergachev, Durzi, Cole, Marino, Kesselring, Valimaki)

Blue Jackets: 11.12m (Werenski, Severson, Provorov, Gudbranson, Jiricek, Johnson)

Sharks: 12.55m (Vlasic, Thrun, Wallman, Ferraro, Ruuta, Benning, Emberson)

Ducks: 21.72m (Fowler, Gudas, Dumolin, Zellweger, Mintyukov, Vaakanainen, Lacombe, Luneau)

The three teams I can maybe see a fit is CBJ, Sharks, and Utah. Sharks are rebuilding I don’t think they’d be interested. Utah I can see them taking on Kulak, CBJ taking on Ceci. I’m not saying it’s not possible for the teams above to not acquire Ceci/Kulak, but I find it very unlikely.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad