PTO: [TOR] F Max Pacioretty signs PTO with the Maple Leafs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

zenator

Jan 1, 2004
4 goals in 47 games as a 1-dimensional scorer who can't defend or hit doesn't sound good. 36 in 2 months.

However, I'm sure it's for small money, where if he sucks, his contract can be buried in the AHL with no cap it.

Really, no risk for Leafs.

Reactions: WingsToPick4th

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
4 goals in 47 games as a 1-dimensional scorer who can't defend or hit doesn't sound good. 36 in 2 months.

However, I'm sure it's for small money, where if he sucks, his contract can be buried in the AHL with no cap it.

Even better, it's a PTO. So if he sucks in preseason, he gets cut.

sena

Jul 3, 2024

moving out players to bring this guy in sounds like poor GM'n

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

Folignos Helmet

Sep 4, 2020
The only positive take I can have is last year was his Connor Brown year of getting back to game shape and this year he should be good to go, like Brown was in the playoffs.

But even with that he’s much older than Brown was coming back.

T_Cage

VP of Awesome
Sep 26, 2006
Love this as a 'dart throw'. We will still need to make a move at the deadline for a "playoff" middle 6, but if Patches can hold down that fort till then that's a W.

Also zero risk if he is washed

Reactions: Phion Keneuf

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don't think it's Robertson, said it before but I think you see.

Knies Matthews Marner

Robertson Tavares Nylander

Pacioretty Domi Mcmann

Dewar Holmberg Jarnkork.

I think he potentially bumps Kampf.

Aside from the regulars, there will be some moving parts. The bottom 6 and open top 6 LW spot can and will be changed from game/game.

All I see is adding good depth to give the coach options. Whoever has to clear waivers and you rather not loose, will just sit and watch some games. Whoever does not have to clear waivers will go to the AHL. Pretty standard stuff.

I'm pretty sure the Leafs evaluated their cap and how it can be managed.

Reactions: Roo

Vukotal Recall

Jan 30, 2010
Chara ruined Pacioretty just like Kyle McLaren ruined Zednik. Dirty Bruins hits and the NHL, name a more iconic duo. Happy that Patches rebounded to have some really good years subsequently, but both of those players were never the same because they (rightly) shied away from being the dominant fearless physical beasts they had been before the league didn't protect them (it doesn't protect any players).

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
Im surprised Max still has gas left in the tank. He hasn't been able to stay healthy the last 6 seasons.
Pretty sure the only gas left in Pacioretty is the same kind I have when I gobble extra spicy enchiladas.

I'm sure Kyle Dubas shares some responsibility in past failures but it's pretty obvious now that the problems run deeper and the same pattern is emerging under Treliving. Top-heavy offense, and hiring high profile players who are completely cooked.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
I feel like part of the "thought" here... is that Matthew Knies kind of ran out of gas mid-season, while Bobby McMann was a little bit of a flash in the pan.

Pacioretty is a guy, that is 2 years removed from 19 goals in 39 games, and 24 goals in 48 the year prior.

Pacioretty is somebody that could seemingly slot into either of those top 2 LW spots on occasion.

Reactions: jsol

VeteranPresence

Aug 13, 2024
That's one way to look at it.

Another would be that he improved a team that finished top ten in the league last year. Did any of the nine teams that finished ahead of the Leafs also improve? As much as the Leafs? Anyone?

The Leafs projected opening night line up this year has the following changes from last year on opening night.

OUT --> IN

Bertuzzi --> McMann
Minten --> Paccioretty
Gregor --> Holmberg
Reaves --> Dewar
Brodie --> Tanev
Klingberg --> OEL
Giordano --> Benoit or Hakanpaa
Samsonov --> Stolarz
Keefe --> Berube

Any other top teams have this good of an off-season?

You do know the arrow is supposed to go towards the thing that is better, right?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad