Proposal: STL-EDM (including Draisaitl)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I remember Quebec drafting Sundin, Lindros and Nolan in 1990 to 1992.

In 1995, Colorado's 1st year, they won the cup... and those 3 players were not part of that team.

Quebec traded some real stars to get a more complete and balanced team.

Oilers should learn from this.

You get a bonafied goalie, a star defenseman a depth forward or prospect and a pick, I do that trade for Leon.

Yeah losing him hurts, but it will benefit in the long run.

It helped that Forsberg was arguably better then Lindros but the Avs don’t win their first Cup without the depth from the Lindros trade.

Sniped90

Jul 20, 2010
Sherwood Park
Which Oilers players are better players than Thomas or Buchnevich. Genuinely curious as to trying to follow your train of thought here.

There’s no reason to include defensemen as it’s not really easy to compare apples to oranges.
players in general mcdavid and drai obviously lol, but seriously i dont get why you st louis fans keep thinking im including buch in every post i make because i havent, you guys keep bringing it up, but plenty are better than thomas for sure. JP, Hyman, Kane, RNH, are all better than thomas, sure their scoring isnt the same as thomas but all round game is better than his.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
This is tempting as a Blues fan. Part of the temptation is getting out of Binnington's contract in case his downward slide since his rookie year doesn't turn around. I totally understand Oilers fans balking at that, or the trade as a whole.

The other appealing part is obviously Draisaitl. But that part is also the part that I hesitate. I do the deal for a top 5 forward in the league which Drai currently is. BUT, would he be that on the Blues. He has obviously proven he is not 100% a product of McDavid. Still he plays 1/3 of his 5v5 time and all of his PP time with a generational talent. On his shifts without McDavid, he is not seeing the other teams top pair. They are sitting on the bench waiting to jump out against McDavid.

Playing on the Blues, I don't know if Draisaitl is a 100+ point player. He's an 80-point guy for sure, but we'd be giving up 2 60 point guys who PK and one has room for growth. I don't do that for an 80-point guy. I probably say no at the end of the day. I'd rather stick with the guys I know. I'd rather plug up the holes in our roster rather than create new holes to bolster (ridiculously) an area of relative strength.

Note for Edmonton fans: I fully admit I have not dug into the WOWY stats on Drai and McDavid. I have not watched near as much of him as you have. So if my hesitation about Draisaitl without McDavid is unfounded, I won't argue with you. It is always a worry about any player who plays with a guy that is head-and-shoulders the best player in the world.

Reactions: Zezel’s Pretzels

mab894

Nov 27, 2017
Interesting proposal. After the season I would maybe do it if Binnington doesn't round into form (and accepts the trade). Draisaitl is a generational talent and as sad as I would be losing Buch, Thomas and an underrated Mikkola, this trade would free up space to sign Husso if he continues playing great hockey.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Interesting proposal. After the season I would maybe do it if Binnington doesn't round into form (and accepts the trade). Draisaitl is a generational talent and as sad as I would be losing Buch, Thomas and an underrated Mikkola, this trade would free up space to sign Husso if he continues playing great hockey.

Which is why Edmonton doesn't touch it.

This is downgrading Draisaitl to Thomas and the Blues hoping that a year of Buchnevich, Binnington on the downswing, and mostly a throw-in Mikkola from Edmonton's POV is enough.

It is not.

Reactions: voxel

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
players in general mcdavid and drai obviously lol, but seriously i dont get why you st louis fans keep thinking im including buch in every post i make because i havent, you guys keep bringing it up, but plenty are better than thomas for sure. JP, Hyman, Kane, RNH, are all better than thomas, sure their scoring isnt the same as thomas but all round game is better than his.

You realize Thomas has been killing penalties pretty frequently for the 3rd best pk in the league currently right?

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
I think Edmonton would be a better team than they are now adding that depth and a reliable goalie, so I'd pull the trigger. Probably push the Blues for a bit more just based on getting the 2nd best forward in the game on a great contract but the pieces are there.

In real life of course this never happens, outside of Holland being convinced he can't surround his two stars with a winning supporting cast unless he moves one (yes, I know what I did there). Even then, it would take **** of steel to even for a GM to even seriously discuss this (knowing it would leak in 2 seconds flat).

Agree completely. The Oilers aren't gonna win anything with such a top heavy lineup. You need depth to win a championship and can't rely on two guys to provide the majority of the offense.

That being said, I don't wanna gut the Blues to acquire Draisaitl.

Reactions: Zezel’s Pretzels

mab894

Nov 27, 2017
Which is why Edmonton doesn't touch it.

This is downgrading Draisaitl to Thomas and the Blues hoping that a year of Buchnevich, Binnington on the downswing, and mostly a throw-in Mikkola from Edmonton's POV is enough.

It is not.
Interesting proposal as a Blues fan* I know you are in need of goaltending and defense and while Binnington and Mikkola are upgrades (imo), I can see how they wouldn't move the needle enough even though Thomas and Buch are awesome. This trade would really help with your forward depth though.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Counter offer:

TO Edm:
Ville Husso
Colton Parayko
Robert Thomas
2022 1st rounder

TO Stl:
Leon Draisaitl
Mikko Koskinen
2022 6th rounder
This makes the Blues a worse team. Goal scoring isn’t their problem. Defense is the crux of their deficiencies.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
LOL.

Reactions: rumrokh

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Interesting proposal as a Blues fan* I know you are in need of goaltending and defense and while Binnington and Mikkola are upgrades (imo), I can see how they wouldn't move the needle enough even though Thomas and Buch are awesome. This trade would really help with your forward depth though.

our forward depth is arguably top 3 in the NHL right now.

We had Hyman and RNH on the third line yesterday.

For this to make any sense we’d need a much better D than Mikkola and a much less risky goalie than Binnington to even think about it - and as I said Buchnevich only has a year left after this one.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
our forward depth is arguably top 3 in the NHL right now.

We had Hyman and RNH on the third line yesterday.

For this to make any sense we’d need a much better D than Mikkola and a much less risky goalie than Binnington to even think about it - and as I said Buchnevich only has a year left after this one.
This is completely and factually wrong. Jeez people need to do research.

Buchnevich agrees to four-year contract with Blues

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
If I were president of an NHL team in need of an upgrade in net, and my GM's solution to that need was to trade for Jordan Binnington... he would no longer be my GM

I can't imagine St. Louis would be willing to pay the price it would require for my team to gamble 6 million in cap space through the 2027 season on a goaltender with a Matt Murray-esque career trajectory

Last edited:
Reactions: ChaoticOrange

NotAVacuumSalesman

The Guide And Record Book™
Jun 19, 2017
With Kane's recent signing and Holloway set to debut in a few months. Edmonton's depth should be OK.

A starting goaltender and shut down D is the priority going forward.

Is Binnington really an upgrade this season? He looks to be on a downswing. He's also got a NTC for the first 3 seasons, he's not waiving it after signing his contract last year. Blues agreed to commit to him long term, 6Mx6years. Edmonton can't afford to do that. We don't have that kind of cap space and Nurse is set to begin his big new contract next season 9.25Mx8years.

8e7c9c40d6.jpg

Mikkola's RFA at the end of the season. We got a few RFAs of our own to deal with in Puljujarvi, Yamamoto, McLeod, and some more at the minor level.

This proposal doesn't address either teams needs.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
If I were president of an NHL team in need of an upgrade in net, and my GM's solution to that need was Jordan Binnington... he would no longer be my GM

And I can't imagine St. Louis would be willing to pay the price it would require for my team to gamble 6 million in cap space through the 2027 season on a goaltender with a Matt Murray-esque career trajectory

Binnington’s looking more and more like a cap dump these days; certainly not a guy that would be a key cog in bringing back a top 3 forward in the game.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
ah I crossed him up mentally with Barbashev, who does only have a year.

okay sweet so now this makes zero sense for Edmonton as we give up a superstar on a sweetheart deal for three guys that will be making 18 million bucks after next year.
Like I've said before in this thread. Neither team does this. Fills zero of the major holes on either team. It's the equivalent of making a trade for the hell of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad