Proposal: STL-EDM (including Draisaitl)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
I hate to say it but Thomas isn’t a middle 6er anymore and him and Buchnevich aren’t really spare parts either.

Nobody is going to argue that Draisaitl isn’t the best player in the deal. But getting two 2-way PPG players back doesn’t really scream spare parts.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Trading for Draisaitl would involve an actual honest to goodness overpayment. I don't see that here.

When proposing a deal for one of the top players in the game signed long term on a sweetheart contract look at something on your roster you don't want to move and add.

From an Oilers perspective they need a #1D and probably a 2C to make them think about it.

Thomas and Buchnevich are both pieces that the Blues would rather keep than move by a long margin.

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

Necrobutcher

Sep 20, 2018
Tampere, Finland
I hate to say it but Thomas isn’t a middle 6er anymore and him and Buchnevich aren’t really spare parts either.

Nobody is going to argue that Draisaitl isn’t the best player in the deal. But getting two 2-way PPG players back doesn’t really scream spare parts.
Yeah i also feel people are seriously undervaluing Thomas and Buchvenich here.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Thomas and Buchnevich are both pieces that the Blues would rather keep than move by a long margin.

Do they fit the criteria?

You have a young center there but I don't see a top pairing D. You have to craft a proposal that works for the Oilers, not just the Blues.

I think if Draisaitl were available there would be massive offers from other teams. He is better than Eichel, paid less and isn't hurt.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
Do they fit the criteria?

You have a young center there but I don't see a top pairing D. You have to craft a proposal that works for the Oilers, not just the Blues.

I think if Draisaitl were available there would be massive offers from other teams. He is better than Eichel, paid less and isn't hurt.

This is a massive offer, but simply doesn't address the biggest needs for either team. Again, I don't think Draisaitl or McDavid could be moved in a two-team trade because there are no teams that can offer an elite defenseman and a 2nd line center, which is almost certainly what the starting package would have to be, right?

coopooter

Sep 28, 2017
Downgrading Drai to 2 good but lesser Forwards is the last thing Oilers need to do.
Oilers needs are trading Barrie for a stay at home type
Starting G

spaghtti

Oct 13, 2013
Bennington is not waiving his NTC, proposal isn’t dead in the water. I would say back to the drawing board but please don’t! Oilers are not interested in trading Draisaitl

Sniped90

Jul 20, 2010
Sherwood Park
U know nothing about Robert Thomas……
middle 6 fwd thats not a sniper or primary goal scorer oilers have enough set up artists they need someone not afraid to shoot the puck. 0.33 ppg in playoffs, his analytic #s are the worst theyve been this year, and his fow% is 49.5 which we dont need another person that struggles to win a faceoff. so yes, yes i do know a little bit about thomas. thanks for coming out though.

Reactions: IIxGURUxII

Sniped90

Jul 20, 2010
Sherwood Park
This is a massive offer, but simply doesn't address the biggest needs for either team. Again, I don't think Draisaitl or McDavid could be moved in a two-team trade because there are no teams that can offer an elite defenseman and a 2nd line center, which is almost certainly what the starting package would have to be, right?
this isnt a massive offer by any means, thomas is playing mid 6 minutes and and is not what the oilers need at all, buch sure hes top 6 and puts the puck in the net which oilers need more of. Sure thomas is almost a ppg but his analytic numbers arent good, But at the end of the day to move drai its not even close to the value.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
LD is like a 5 WAR player, Oilers aren't moving him for a collection of guys in the 1-2 range and another who's replacement level. Maybe if he had long term health concerns like Eichel or was demanding a trade. Elite players in their prime are the rarest commodity and their value increases exponentially as WAR increases

Big guns

Jan 24, 2019
Do some of these proposals actually involve a top pair d and then a pile more??

anyone thinking Drai is getting back a whole pile more than a top pair defence men is in la la land.
Any other time a top pair defender is worth more than a forward except when it come to the oilers duo for some reason.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
middle 6 fwd thats not a sniper or primary goal scorer oilers have enough set up artists they need someone not afraid to shoot the puck. 0.33 ppg in playoffs, his analytic #s are the worst theyve been this year, and his fow% is 49.5 which we dont need another person that struggles to win a faceoff. so yes, yes i do know a little bit about thomas. thanks for coming out though.
u looked at a stat sheet, nice...... zero understanding of his process and potential. but ight....

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Leon Draisaitl, Mikko Koskinen

for

Robert Thomas, Pavel Buchnevich, Niko Mikkola, Jordan Binnington

...Or something in that sense. Maybe retention and picks involved.

I like Thomas but this is the type of lopsided trade that I expect around these parts.

That's not a good thing either.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
I think Edmonton would be a better team than they are now adding that depth and a reliable goalie, so I'd pull the trigger. Probably push the Blues for a bit more just based on getting the 2nd best forward in the game on a great contract but the pieces are there.

In real life of course this never happens, outside of Holland being convinced he can't surround his two stars with a winning supporting cast unless he moves one (yes, I know what I did there). Even then, it would take **** of steel to even for a GM to even seriously discuss this (knowing it would leak in 2 seconds flat).

NotAVacuumSalesman

The Guide And Record Book™
Jun 19, 2017
I think Edmonton would be a better team than they are now adding that depth and a reliable goalie, so I'd pull the trigger. Probably push the Blues for a bit more just based on getting the 2nd best forward in the game on a great contract but the pieces are there.

In real life of course this never happens, outside of Holland being convinced he can't surround his two stars with a winning supporting cast unless he moves one (yes, I know what I did there). Even then, it would take **** of steel to even for a GM to even seriously discuss this (knowing it would leak in 2 seconds flat).
In reality, trading off Drai means McDavid would take off shortly after. He wouldn't want to stick around after his buddy gets traded.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
this isnt a massive offer by any means, thomas is playing mid 6 minutes and and is not what the oilers need at all, buch sure hes top 6 and puts the puck in the net which oilers need more of. Sure thomas is almost a ppg but his analytic numbers arent good, But at the end of the day to move drai its not even close to the value.
Thomas' 19:05 TOI/game would be 4th on the oilers and his 32 points in 36 games would be 3rd on the team behind McDavid and Draisaitl. Buchnevich would be 5th on the oilers in TOI/game and also 3rd in points with 36 points in 37 games. Either one would instantly be the oil's 3rd best forward behind McDavid and Draisaitl (or second best if they for some dumb reason decided to trade Draisaitl).

Both of them play big minutes on PP and PK, and they are both also on excellent contracts with years of team control. Thomas is only 22, signed for another 1.5 years at $2.8 mill, and will be a RFA when his current contract ends. Buchnevich is 26 and signed for 3.5 years at $5.8 mill.

Nothing wrong with not wanting to trade Draisaitl, personally I don't think the oil should. However, you are woefully out of touch with the value and on ice impact of the two Blues forwards in this deal.

Sniped90

Jul 20, 2010
Sherwood Park
Thomas' 19:05 TOI/game would be 4th on the oilers and his 32 points in 36 games would be 3rd on the team behind McDavid and Draisaitl. Buchnevich would be 5th on the oilers in TOI/game and also 3rd in points with 36 points in 37 games. Either one would instantly be the oil's 3rd best forward behind McDavid and Draisaitl (or second best if they for some dumb reason decided to trade Draisaitl).

Both of them play big minutes on PP and PK, and they are both also on excellent contracts with years of team control. Thomas is only 22, signed for another 1.5 years at $2.8 mill, and will be a RFA when his current contract ends. Buchnevich is 26 and signed for 3.5 years at $5.8 mill.

Nothing wrong with not wanting to trade Draisaitl, personally I don't think the oil should. However, you are woefully out of touch with the value and on ice impact of the two Blues forwards in this deal.
thomas is avg 15 mins a game this year so idk where youre getting your numbers from, okay he has 5 goals and 27 assists oilers do not need a passer so once again he isnt needed soley on that fact alone. thomas is signed to next year only then hell want a raise.

i dont have a problem with buch hes the only part of the trade that fits for the oilers but hes to expensive for the oilers unless blues took kosk, kassian, and turris in the trade and i know blues dont have the cap space either.

realistically the only player the oilers could acquire from the blues is either parayko or binnington but we know that parayko isnt probably going anywhere also binnington the way hes played this year wont be a help for the oilers especially on his contract if he continues to play as he has.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad