Rumor: Stars' Ben Bishop potentially close to return (Update: Career over)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
After his last 4 years this is just a mirage
So Holtby (really good this year) is still shit because we look back at his past 4 years but Dobby is shit because this year and we can't use his last 4 years to justify he can actually still play.

Im confused as to when we are allowed to use past years here... If Dallas wanted to move a goalie with value Holtby would be an easy sell to teams if you actually watched him play this year

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
So Holtby (really good this year) is still shit because we look back at his past 4 years but Dobby is shit because this year and we can't use his last 4 years to justify he can actually still play.

Im confused as to when we are allowed to use past years here... If Dallas wanted to move a goalie with value Holtby would be an easy sell to teams if you actually watched him play this year

Nah, I don't see Holtby on the move.....that would be equal to Jim Nill admitting that signing him made no sense whatsoever.

They're in a tough spot now though, thanks to Nill's head-scratching signing on Day 1 of free agency.

Holtby - newest addition, unlikely to go even though his numbers have been solid this season

Bishop - about as durable as a paper towel umbrella, and I don't see many teams taking a flier on him somehow finding a cure for that. Also carrying the highest caphit.

Khudobin - worst of the four and thus he has the lowest value.....I think the Stars should've let him walk after their run to the Finals last year, but instead they kept him around and now here we are. :help:

Oettinger - youngest option and heir apparent in goal for Dallas. Also immune to waivers but he's put up the best numbers and doesn't deserve a demotion to the AHL. Really hoping he isn't the sacrificial lamb here.

Honestly I have no idea how this will play out, but something's gotta give.....and soon. Roster freeze next week, right?

Reactions: itwasaforwardpass

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Nah, I don't see Holtby on the move.....that would be equal to Jim Nill admitting that signing him made no sense whatsoever.

They're in a tough spot now though, thanks to Nill's head-scratching signing on Day 1 of free agency.

Holtby - newest addition, unlikely to go even though his numbers have been solid this season

Bishop - about as durable as a paper towel umbrella, and I don't see many teams taking a flier on him somehow finding a cure for that. Also carrying the highest caphit.

Khudobin - worst of the four and thus he has the lowest value.....I think the Stars should've let him walk after their run to the Finals last year, but instead they kept him around and now here we are. :help:

Oettinger - youngest option and heir apparent in goal for Dallas. Also immune to waivers but he's put up the best numbers and doesn't deserve a demotion to the AHL. Really hoping he isn't the sacrificial lamb here.

Honestly I have no idea how this will play out, but something's gotta give.....and soon. Roster freeze next week, right?

I dont think they want to move Holtby either. Im just saying if they get stuck in a bind Holtby by far the easiest to move.

That said I think Dobby could likely be moved for a late pick

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I dont think they want to move Holtby either. Im just saying if they get stuck in a bind Holtby by far the easiest to move.

That said I think Dobby could likely be moved for a late pick

Probably.

Just a matter of Dallas and Buffalo finding a combo that works for both teams.

Or whoever else comes knocking. Just anything that keeps Oettinger from being sent down again because that was ridiculous. :laugh:

Rory

Jun 14, 2017

Someone will get a steal. Khudobin can still play and steal some games. He has had a bad few games this year.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Khudobin to Buffalo, NYR, Colorado or Edmonton. The two first ones make a lot more sense, since Colorado is in the same division and Edmonton is pretty tight on cap space.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Khudobin to Buffalo, NYR, Colorado or Edmonton. The two first ones make a lot more sense, since Colorado is in the same division and Edmonton is pretty tight on cap space.

Well at least there wouldn't be a language barrier in the crease over there.

Wouldn't the Rangers already be crowded in goal though?

Elysian

Emo Stars Fan
Dec 4, 2011
Norton, OH

If they trade Oetter I will literally stop following the team :laugh:

Elysian

Emo Stars Fan
Dec 4, 2011
Norton, OH
It'd be a tough deal to justify, no doubt.

Wouldn't put it past Nill to trade away the youngest, cheapest and best goalie on the team, though.
Sadly I wouldn't either. I think Oetter is a future HHoF'er, if they trade him I'll absolutely be done with this team.

coopooter

Sep 28, 2017

Unfortunately Father Time came for khudobin. And he wasn’t good last year either.
Look I’m sure someone will take Holtby off your hands, don’t think anyone gives much for him

Reactions: Elysian

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Never understood why Dallas went out and got Holtby since it was at a cap above a buriable amount. They knew they had Khudobin (whilst I fully expected him to meet father time, Stars didnt) and Oettinger. That should have been good enough with Bishop looming over their heads.

Better hope Bishop decides to LTIRetire. He's looking like he's cooked. 8 goals on 26 shots tonight in the AHL. Sure its his first game in like 2 years, but how many goalies or players can take that time off after major injuries and come back at a NHL level, especially at his age.

Reactions: Elysian

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
Never understood why Dallas went out and got Holtby since it was at a cap above a buriable amount. They knew they had Khudobin (whilst I fully expected him to meet father time, Stars didnt) and Oettinger. That should have been good enough with Bishop looming over their heads.

Better hope Bishop decides to LTIRetire. He's looking like he's cooked. 8 goals on 26 shots tonight in the AHL. Sure its his first game in like 2 years, but how many goalies or players can take that time off after major injuries and come back at a NHL level, especially at his age.
I’d give him a another game or two just cause but from other Stars fans at or watching his game tonight it was really bad.

Elysian

Emo Stars Fan
Dec 4, 2011
Norton, OH
I’d give him a another game or two just cause but from other Stars fans at or watching his game tonight it was really bad.
Definitely was. He looked to be laboring a bit to get up, lots of time having to use his stick awkwardly to stand back up. His movement side to side didn't look good either, definitely not anything like when he was a Vezina finalist. I hope it was just rust, but letting in 8 goals doesn't give me much hope for that.

Felt like he let in every single elevated shot too, the Wolves were picking corners with ease.

Elysian

Emo Stars Fan
Dec 4, 2011
Norton, OH

Did you mean 36? There was definitely more than 30 shots from Chicago in the game. I specifically remember the 7th goal was on the 29th shot.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Devils may need another goaltender very soon so they may have fix the Stars dilemma.

Wedgewood was claimed off waivers and was supposed to be the veteran goalie in the AHL. Daws and Schmid were putting up fantastic numbers in the AHL so it wasn’t a huge deal.

However, now Daws is looking like he’s going to be out long term and Bernier is back on IR due to a lingering hip injury.

The only goalies on NHL contracts Blackwood - Schmid are on the NHL team at the moment.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Texas has back to back games against Chicago this weekend, I'm assuming Bishop starts at least one of those two and next week Jim Nill finally makes a decision on how to fix this problem.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad