Rumor: Stars' Ben Bishop potentially close to return (Update: Career over)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

thewookie1

Jan 21, 2015
So, Stars fans, the obvious casualty has to be Khudobin, right? Holtby playing too well, Oettinger playing too well (plus he's the future), Bishop too pricey to move.

I'm curious what the rough price would be to land both Holtby or Khudobin, from an Eastern team badly in need of some backup/platoon insurance.

Khudobin is a negative value
Holtby is a positive value
Bishop is a ???

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
He will return then in-jure himself in warm up. The guy has spent 95% of his past two seasons on the IR.

JeffP

had meat hello
Nov 30, 2010
Khudobin is the odd man out and has a m-ntc(4 teams I think), and you would have to imagine we add to get someone to take at that salary

Stars would have to find a way to make it palatable to another team capable of eating salary.. which makes Pens unlikely? It’s really tough to find a dance partner here is the issue.

*I could totally see Khudobin at a solid 1b/backup, but his age and season so far doesn’t make him look particularly intriguing to other teams imho

**All of the potential recent fire sale teams are capped out and the underachievers are probably named as m-ntc, unless MTL can abuse LTIR.. I’m not exactly sure how that works

***Bishop trying to jump back in is terrible timing, you can’t push Oettinger down again unless you want him to feel like he should not re sign with Dallas

****In My Humble Opinion

Last edited:
Reactions: Elysian

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
In my opinion, Oettinger & Holtby have earned the right to be the tandem you go with for the rest of the season. Khudobin hasn't been very good since the finals run and Bishop's injuries are unfortunate, but at some point too much is too much.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
In my opinion, Oettinger & Holtby have earned the right to be the tandem you go with for the rest of the season. Khudobin hasn't been very good since the finals run and Bishop's injuries are unfortunate, but at some point too much is too much.

My thoughts exactly.

If you send Oettinger down after the way he's played, you'll probably piss him off as well as the rest of the team. Similar to trading Holtby, who's only one of the remaining three with positive value.

Ultimately the only move is to trade/waive Khudobin, and rotate in Bishop until he inevitably gets hurt again.

Reactions: tgo0 and Elysian

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012
Sending Oettinger down would be stupid. He's been the best goalie and is the goalie of the future, let him run with the number 1 with Bishop as support.

Buffalo and maybe Carolina, as others have mentioned, may be candidates to look into one of the other 3 goalies.

Reactions: Elysian

JeffP

had meat hello
Nov 30, 2010
One might also think that the 4 M-NTC teams he’d block would likely be out of these teams:
dp5MDyY.jpg

Not sure if he’d designate the list at the beginning of the season or as they would shop him but its something to consider. Who wouldnt be blocked but would have the interest and cap room/ltir to take him and what needs to go along with him that makes sense for both teams?

Jim Nill over a barrel. Are we about to get Hard Yzerman’d?

JeffP

had meat hello
Nov 30, 2010
It's weird because Bishop is supposed to play CP Thursday, and cap gymnastics are going to be necessary.
I think we probably find a partner we way oversweeten to take him and maybe another 1-2mil player. :\

I'm not sure we could even waive Dobby, if that comes alongside the no-move.
Someone's getting the hose here if anything changes hands, unless Nill can pull some Jedi maneuvers.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
If a deal can be made to bring one of those 4 goalies to the Pens as a backup to Jarry at a number that fits under the cap, we would be SUPREMELY interested.

Edit: Khudobin at 50% would work.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Moving Khudobin is the first order of business. The issue with that is Dallas needs to clear salary in order for Bishop to come off LTIR. Meaning Dallas likely can’t take money back or retain

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
Wonder if Khudobin set up his no trade list to include the teams that could afford to fit his cap number. Those are also the really bad teams that need a goalie.

Last edited:

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
Waivers can be an option. It is a no trade not a no movement

They don't save enough cap space to get under the cap by simply burying him in the minors and no one is claiming him with how badly he is playing plus two years on his contract.

If they are to move Dobby, they need to find a team not on his no trade list and then sweeten the pot to move him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad