Rumor: Stars' Ben Bishop potentially close to return (Update: Career over)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Yak

Jun 30, 2009
Los Angeles
www.androidheadlines.com
We don't know if he was playing in pain , got hurt again, knee or hip did not feel right. Guy is smart enough to listen to his body. Quality of life after hockey is important also.Too many players stick it out past their due date and is sad.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

JesusNPucks

Dec 22, 2009
Amman, Jordan
Healthy Ben Bishop was a game-changer. That’s gotta be hard but, yes, there will be life after hockey for him. All the best to him and his family.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
I'm kinda torn on this one...

If he can't play do to injury, they would've taken him out during the first 7 goals. He can play, he just can't play the way he used to. So is he really, "LTIR"?
It was a conditioning stint. The entire point of that part of the CBA is to allow players back into real life game scenarios to test their bodies before throwing them back in the NHL. This is especially useful for players who have been out for over a year. The doc can tell you your knee is healed in the sense that its good to go for regular wear and tear, but you don't know how it will hold up under pro athelete stress until you get back in a game. If your injured part isnt feeling great after an AHL game its safe to say the conditioning stint did its job and allowed you to test drive the injury without causing your self more life long damage

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
This all sounds fishy to me....Bishop goes down to the AHL and PLAYS a game, gets lit up by a bunch of plugs!!! Allows 8 goals against, then all of a sudden he is unable to play hockey...saving the Stars his cap hit and lessons the G logjam they have.

Not quite as bad as Hossa and his allergy to his equipment that just so happen to occur when his salary went down to 1m...

Oh well, when you can get past the cap by doing these sorts of things it will continue to happen
I don't remember the last time Bishop was healthy.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Funniest thread title I've ever seen on here I think

I came here to comment on the unintentional humour of the thread title.

As for Ben Bishop, what a great goalie and teammate.

I'll never forget what a positive presence he was on the bench supporting his fellow goalies Craig Anderson and Robin Lehner during Ottawa's "three-headed monster" season.

I hope all is well for him in this unfortunately early retirement.

Last edited:

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
This dude got lit the f*** up in the AHL. It's clear he probably never would have 100% recovered from all of his injuries, he did just turn 35 after all.

This helps Dallas a lot, too. That said, I'm sure they'd much rather a 100% return-to-form Ben Bishop in their crease instead of him having to retire.

No chance...Bishop in good shape would be good for what, a year or two at the most?

He's better off retired and Dallas saving cap space.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
No chance...Bishop in good shape would be good for what, a year or two at the most?

He's better off retired and Dallas saving cap space.
A 100% healthy Ben Bishop is arguably a top 10, bordering on top 5 goalie in the world when he's on. Of course they'd take that even if for 2 seasons.

serp

Jan 17, 2016

So he knew when he went to the AHL this was likely not going to work out but wanted to try anyway. Give it one last try before calling it quits when it predictably won't work out.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017

So he knew when he went to the AHL this was likely not going to work out but wanted to try anyway. Give it one last try before calling it quits when it predictably won't work out.

He wanted that 8.20 GAA on his stats page just for the memories.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
He wanted that 8.20 GAA on his stats page just for the memories.

He wanted to return so badly. He needed to see for himself that it was just impossible to continue his NHL career no matter how badly he wanted it.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
Seems like a great guy. Wish him the best in his post-NHL life!

DqIsSlpUUAE6l7f.jpg

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
This all sounds fishy to me....Bishop goes down to the AHL and PLAYS a game, gets lit up by a bunch of plugs!!! Allows 8 goals against, then all of a sudden he is unable to play hockey...saving the Stars his cap hit and lessons the G logjam they have.

Not quite as bad as Hossa and his allergy to his equipment that just so happen to occur when his salary went down to 1m...

Oh well, when you can get past the cap by doing these sorts of things it will continue to happen

It's almost like he tried giving it a go and was clearly unable to play the game at an NHL level. It's almost like he got lit up by a bunch of plugs because his knee was so bad his mobility was dogshit.

Reactions: McSuper

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Gotta be one of the more depressing thread titles in recent memory.

It's a damn shame Bishop's career ended up this way.

Not even two years ago, Bishop and Khudobin were one of the top tandems in the league.

Now they're both pretty much gone, just like that.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010

He was basically ensuring he stayed on LTIR to get payed. He left no questions asked. Can’t blame him.

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown

You're just jealous that Jim Benning didn't think of this for Eriksson, Sutter, Beagle and the 10 other UFA's he signed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad