Rumor: Stars' Ben Bishop potentially close to return (Update: Career over)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
This all sounds fishy to me....Bishop goes down to the AHL and PLAYS a game, gets lit up by a bunch of plugs!!! Allows 8 goals against, then all of a sudden he is unable to play hockey...saving the Stars his cap hit and lessons the G logjam they have.

Not quite as bad as Hossa and his allergy to his equipment that just so happen to occur when his salary went down to 1m...

Oh well, when you can get past the cap by doing these sorts of things it will continue to happen

Reactions: redfire11

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
This all sounds fishy to me....Bishop goes down to the AHL and PLAYS a game, gets lit up by a bunch of plugs!!! Allows 8 goals against, then all of a sudden he is unable to play hockey...saving the Stars his cap hit and lessons the G logjam they have.

Not quite as bad as Hossa and his allergy to his equipment that just so happen to occur when his salary went down to 1m...

Oh well, when you can get past the cap by doing these sorts of things it will continue to happen
Every played competitive hockey or had a torn meniscus?? I have and as a forward and had to all but retire due to multiple knee injuries. A goalie is a completely different animal when it comes to your knees. Not everything is a conspiracy or some crazy cap circumvention. Keep being jaded.

account deactivated

Finns > Swedes
Feb 28, 2008
ATX

After 2 years of not playing because of injury and rehabbing (as a mid-30s goalie with a history of injuries) and that's "all of a sudden"?

Real 5head take there. Impeccable. :sarcasm:

tgo0

Aug 28, 2007
Winnipeg

Tinfoil hat much?

Reactions: ultra63

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Been injured for a long time, and was constantly getting hurt during games, even ones he finished. I have seen it twice just against Detroit when he was with TB. This is very likely a lot more legit than a few of the suspicious ones.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Bishop wouldn't have to go through a song and dance routine to be able to LTIRetire. He's got enough of an injury history so no one will doubt him if he says he can't play.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Bishop wouldn't have to go through a song and dance routine to be able to LTIRetire. He's got enough of an injury history so no one will doubt him if he says he can't play.

He clearly wanted to continue to play . His body just won't allow it anymore.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC

You really should do your research before you post nonsense.

https://thehockeywriters.com/stars-ben-bishop-injury-history/
https://www.foxsports.com/nhl/ben-bishop-player-injuries

Last edited:

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006

What? Not even a flesh wound! :sarcasm:

In all seriousness, that injury history looks like DiPietro’s. He also had meniscus damage that lead to chronic knee problems. Had chronic hip problems too.

Difference is that DiPietro couldn’t accept that his body was done until he tried to make a comeback with Carolina’s minor league team and they too passed on him.

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017

He hadn't played in 14 months up until that point....

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
Every played competitive hockey or had a torn meniscus?? I have and as a forward and had to all but retire due to multiple knee injuries. A goalie is a completely different animal when it comes to your knees. Not everything is a conspiracy or some crazy cap circumvention. Keep being jaded.
I agree my active life was ended by my knee injury and I wasn’t a professional athlete. You can’t be mad at Dallas for Bishop being to injured to play. He is not retiring he is LTIR as the system allows him to be.

The story here is a great goalie’s career is over and we should all hope the injury does hamper his life going forward. The petty cap complaints of rival fan bases are not valid as Dallas obviously knew they had a serious issue so they signed Holtby and hoped Bishop got better. They still have a three head monster, but that is more due to Faster than expected development of Oettinger(sp) than anything else.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
This dude got lit the f*** up in the AHL. It's clear he probably never would have 100% recovered from all of his injuries, he did just turn 35 after all.

This helps Dallas a lot, too. That said, I'm sure they'd much rather a 100% return-to-form Ben Bishop in their crease instead of him having to retire.

Point21

Oct 23, 2018
Honestly watching the highlights of his AHL game, half those goals arent even his fault. His own dmen cause 2-3 of them by pushing a guy straight in front of him on 1 and then literally sitting on top of him on 2 more. he did get sniped from the right circle but still. you try not playing hockey for 14 months with a knee injury and play against some pro players in the 2nd best league in NA

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I'm kinda torn on this one...

If he can't play do to injury, they would've taken him out during the first 7 goals. He can play, he just can't play the way he used to. So is he really, "LTIR"?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad