Rumor: Stars' Ben Bishop potentially close to return (Update: Career over)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Whoever they decide to move , add the Devils into the mix of teams looking to add a goalie.
Bernier was put on LTIR . He has had on going hip issues this year and is out again with Ruff saying he is " very concerned" about him.
If he will surgery , we need a goalie. We have two kids playing very well in the AHL but cannot expect them to share the load with Blackwood.
Daws is hurt right now so we are going to need another body probably.

Elysian

Emo Stars Fan
Dec 4, 2011
Norton, OH
I wonder how they plan on doing that......Bishop came OFF of LTIR for this conditioning stint, wouldn't he need to reaggravate anything to go back to that same LTIR status?
Cap Friendly has him listed as "LTI Conditioning Loan," I don't think they had to activate him from LTIR to send him on the conditioning stint?

Reactions: Dr Pepper

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
I’d give him a another game or two just cause but from other Stars fans at or watching his game tonight it was really bad.
Texas honestly sucks defensively though . You still don’t want to see him giving up 8 but they really did hang him out to dry . Otter had a couple games like that with Texas too .

serp

Jan 17, 2016

Nevermind sounds like they aborted this very quickly. Not looking like he can return

account deactivated

Finns > Swedes
Feb 28, 2008
ATX

Nevermind sounds like they aborted this very quickly. Not looking like he can return

Kinda what I expected.

Based on his injury history and age, it always seemed like all of this was to indulge him and help him come to terms with the fact that his playing days are done.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Kinda what I expected.

Based on his injury history and age, it always seemed like all of this was to indulge him and help him come to terms with the fact that his playing days are done.

Also not like it hurts the Stars if Bishop still tries to return. He's under contract for this and next year anyway. Might as well give him all the runway he wants. They did the same with Johns. Circumstances slightly different but still . It's all the team can do. Prepare for him not to return by signing alternatives but still leave the door open just in case . Bishop was a top5 goalie in the league just 3 years ago . Sadly his body was never really able to handle it. Stars got 3 years of a top 5 goalie and 3 years of LTIR out of that Bishop contract and its absolutely not a suprise this is how it worked out.

Maurice of Orange

13:21 🏒🏒
Feb 5, 2016
Sounds like Bishop’s knee just couldn’t hold up, if that’s the case then Ben will probably be heading to Robidas LTIRetired Island.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
I knew when we signed Ben there was a high possibility he would end up on LTIR before the contract ended, but this is such a disappointing end to a great career

Reactions: Maurice of Orange

serp

Jan 17, 2016
plays a game, allows 8 goals.... yeah hes no good anymore, leave him on LTIR

how is this allowed?

He still had games left in his conditioning stint before the Stars would have to make a decision on him. So not like this was just because of his play. There were also reports after the game his knee was feeling sore . Think he pulled the plug himself .

serp

Jan 17, 2016
practice? how do any player know theyre ready to return from an injury?

The guy hadn't played in a competetive hockey game in more than a year and the last time he was healthy was like in February of 2020 . Practise alone isn't fixing that. He had been practising for months with the team . Practise and games are not the same .

Conditioning stints exist for a reason. To give the player and the team some insight and action in a lower league to see if he can handle it. Sadly Bishops time as an NHL goalie are over now because of his failing health

Last edited:

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
So Holtby (really good this year) is still shit because we look back at his past 4 years but Dobby is shit because this year and we can't use his last 4 years to justify he can actually still play.

Im confused as to when we are allowed to use past years here... If Dallas wanted to move a goalie with value Holtby would be an easy sell to teams if you actually watched him play this year
Khudobin is 35 years old and was bad last year as well. Its not unreasonable to think his bestbdays are behind him.

Holtbys dropoff was weird because he was still fairly young. I dont think people think hes gonna win the vezina again butnthat mayve he can still be an acceptable goalie under the right conditions

Maurice of Orange

13:21 🏒🏒
Feb 5, 2016
Bishop’s playing days have come to an end. Ben was 2 x time all-star and 3 x Vezina finalist.

Bishop will stay on career ending LTIR through next season.

Reactions: 5 Hole

LASTAR

Mar 9, 2004
Khudobin is 35 years old and was bad last year as well. Its not unreasonable to think his bestbdays are behind him.

Holtbys dropoff was weird because he was still fairly young. I dont think people think hes gonna win the vezina again butnthat mayve he can still be an acceptable goalie under the right conditions

Khudobin was ok last year (2.54 .905), not top of the league numbers like the year before. This year the whole team was shit (and may be heading that way again after that Las Vegas collapse) when he was in net. Before they went on their recent run both his and Holtby’s numbers were sufffering.

With Bishop done (I feel bad for the guy, a great goalie when he was in net), the biggest issue going forward is getting Radulov playing like he should.

I was at the Stars/Kings game and Radulov, Benn, and Seguin were all too slow for todays game. I don’t know if it is a result of the hip surgeries or age or what. But their lack of secondary scoring is huge going forward. When they suffer this problem in the past they tend to get it from their D, but right now it is their top line or nothing.

With Oettinger’s salary at $900k this thread is effectively dead…

tapi

Oct 25, 2009
Both parties knew his level of play would not allow for return, so they went with the injury excuse for financial and cap reasons. Can't blame them considering the unfortunate circumstances

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
He was a pretty great goalie, too bad he never got to hoist the cup in Tampa or Dallas on their runs. I remember back in the day the rumor thread for Bishop being available for just a 2nd round pick and thinking the Leafs should be all over that. Ottawa ended up getting him but he didn't flourish there. It mighta actually saved his career not coming my team anyway :laugh:.

Reactions: 2020 Cup Champions

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Hate to see a career end due to injury, but I don't hate to see Bishop's career end. Great goalie when he was on, but his Olympic level diving was an embarrassment to goaltending, worse than even Mike Smith. NBA level height and flopping

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad