Stanley Cup Finals: (WC2) Florida Panthers vs (P1) Vegas Golden Knights | VGK Lead 3-1

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
Blatantly false. It was pleasing to see the goonery correctly silenced in the end game scrum rather than the typical misconducts for all method. Florida wanted trouble and found it. Perhaps a good lesson for game 2.
This is exactly right. The refs may have been suspect on occasion in this game but that wretched display by the panthers once the game was lost was reasonably handled.

Earlier scrums were just smaller versions of the Panthers effort to incite. Bennett cross checks the goalie for instance.

Last edited:

WhataKnight

The KnightMan Cometh!
Jan 6, 2023
This is exactly right. The refs may have been suspect on occasion in this game but that wretched display by the panthers once the game was lost was reasonably handled.

Earlier scrums were just smaller versions of the Panthers effort to incite. Bennett cross checks the goalie for instance.

Ownership of the crease will factor in mightily in this series, and I’m happy with the way the Knights (and Hill) are approaching it.

Hill’s a big boy, and at no point (outside of maybe PP2) will one of Pietrangelo, Hague, McNabb, Martinez or Whitecloud be on the ice. May benefit VGK more as the series continues.

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
I doubt it. Bob would have to be a lot more average. Marchy's scored some big goals but I think if you're thinking the biggest impact players for Vegas he's probably behind Hill, Eichel, and Karlsson. And that's assuming Vegas wins the whole thing. If not, it's for sure going to Bob or Tkachuk. Bob still has a shot at a Giguere situation if he continues to be excellent in spite of a Vegas win.
Tkachuk and I think he's referring to Florida's overly generous donation of Marchessault and Smith to Vegas at the expansion draft.
I said, "if Vegas wins."

If the Game 1 trends continue, Bobrovsky is not sniffing the Smythe, and the goal-leading Marchessault will be hard to keep away from the Smythe.

Reactions: WhataKnight

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I would actually love for this to go 7, because We'll be in Mexico June 7-14. If I were to script it, VGK would win on home ice while I am in town. I'm not going to pretend tix wouldn't be out of my budget, but would love to watch my team win and celebrate from the plaza outside.

I was in the arena when Ovy lifted the cup. Was elated for him. It was easy not to have bitter emotions because it had been clear for several games that VGK didn't have anything for the Caps. Walked around the plaza afterward congratulating the obviously happy Caps fans. Many of them commented on how kind and positive VGK fans were being in a loss. If these boards are in anyway a microcosm of the Panthers fanbase, I am not expecting to be congratulated by them if such a thing happens.

Of course in 2018 VGK was playing with house money, and everyone including us knew it.

I'm impressed you actually did the calculation.
Panthers fans have suffered a lot more than Vegas fans, especially going to the SCF in their 1st year. That being said, I've seen a lot of more objective posts from Panthers fans here too. Every fanbase has a rainbow of personalities.

• Haha
Reactions: Pia8988

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Quite a few human-shaped clouds of smoke where “Cats in 4” used to be.

That game was both closer than the score suggests and hell to have on behind me whilst bartending because I’m the idiot that didn’t take the evening off. That being said, one word comes to me now -

COMPOSURE.

Refusing to get rattled when down a goal.

Refusing to give up on a save and getting the job done with the tip of your paddle.

Refusing to stop grinning like a Bond villain when Tkachuk punches your face.

All of these are excellent demonstrations of composure.

If Nic Hague can grind out more real estate in the Panthers’ heads than Tkachuk can claim in Vegas’ crease, this series shouldn’t go beyond six games. And this morning’s tale of the tape unquestionably goes to Hague.

I didn’t get to watch Florida’s path to the Finals as close as I’d have liked, but it may come to pass that Vegas’ ability to stay composed proves to be the kryptonite to the Panthers’ “wagon” of emotion/grit/Tkachuk-as-tip-of-spear.

Or at least I’m hoping.
The Panthers are more than Tkachuk's agitating. He seemed to get flustered that Vegas wasn't falling for his traps, but he'll adjust and the Panthers overall will definitely be more dialed in next game.

WhataKnight

The KnightMan Cometh!
Jan 6, 2023
The Panthers are more than Tkachuk's agitating. He seemed to get flustered that Vegas wasn't falling for his traps, but he'll adjust and the Panthers overall will definitely be more dialed in next game.

True, though that agitation is like both the straw that stirs the drink and the extra liquor in it. The Panthers channel it and rightfully so.

That being said, I feel like it’s an up-top directive which Vegas may be able to stay one step ahead on. Defending the crease with extreme aggression one minute, displaying delight at an opponent’s frustration without raising a finger in a scrum the next.

I’d not mind the Knights utilizing this mercilessly. If the Panthers gain strength from emotion, behave like a jersey block.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
True, though that agitation is like both the straw that stirs the drink and the extra liquor in it. The Panthers channel it and rightfully so.

That being said, I feel like it’s an up-top directive which Vegas may be able to stay one step ahead on. Defending the crease with extreme aggression one minute, displaying delight at an opponent’s frustration without raising a finger in a scrum the next.

I’d not mind the Knights utilizing this mercilessly. If the Panthers gain strength from emotion, behave like a jersey block.
The fact that the whole Panthers team feed off Tkachuk's and Bennett's energy simply means that the whole team plays with more grit and jump. Even if opposing players aren't taking Tkachuk's bait, the Panthers are still benefitting from what he brings.

If Tkachuk realizes he's not gonna be able to goad anyone into penalties, he'll simply stop trying and direct his energy into other channels.

Reactions: 5 Hole

WhataKnight

The KnightMan Cometh!
Jan 6, 2023
The fact that the whole Panthers team feed off Tkachuk's and Bennett's energy simply means that the whole team plays with more grit and jump. Even if opposing players aren't taking Tkachuk's bait, the Panthers are still benefitting from what he brings.

If Tkachuk realizes he's not gonna be able to goad anyone into penalties, he'll simply stop trying and direct his energy into other channels.

I get that strategy. Remains to be seen if it can course correct the series for the Panthers.

I’ll obviously be hoping that the current trajectory continues; either way, I like VGK in front. I’m not complaining about no northern franchises in the SCF……but we’re not going to see eye to eye much on this series…LOL…..I live in CO and root for the Knights; I may not get a result that sees the state of Florida raising the global water level with tears, but the chance to see it makes me “tumescent with anticipation.”

Cheers to your cordial posting, though - no sarcasm. :thumbu:

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I get that strategy. Remains to be seen if it can course correct the series for the Panthers.

I’ll obviously be hoping that the current trajectory continues; either way, I like VGK in front. I’m not complaining about no northern franchises in the SCF……but we’re not going to see eye to eye much on this series…LOL…..I live in CO and root for the Knights; I may not get a result that sees the state of Florida raising the global water level with tears, but the chance to see it makes me “tumescent with anticipation.”

Cheers to your cordial posting, though - no sarcasm. :thumbu:
I too hope Vegas remains Cup-less. We can still cheer our teams on and be cordial though. Otherwise that's just being a sore loser. Cheers as well....

jgs

Oct 24, 2019
Well they didn't help themselves with Tkachuk and Bennett punching people right in front of refs. Also the Montour hooking was a dumb penalty to take.
Those two need to knock that stuff off. They really made the team look real bad. It is one thing to make give a one cheap shot to try and goad the opposing player to take a penalty but what they did was far and beyond, it was loke goon hockey and there is no place for that. Plus it sends the wrong message, like they were the ones that were supposed to get under Vegas skin and instead Vegas got under their skin. Backfire. Just think if Reinhardt would have scored while shorthanded and tied the game. Those two wouldn't be able to return in O/T for what 5 minutes. It really hurt the team. I like the rough stuff but they got to keep within reason of the rules.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Those two need to knock that stuff off. They really made the team look real bad. It is one thing to make give a one cheap shot to try and goad the opposing player to take a penalty but what they did was far and beyond, it was loke goon hockey and there is no place for that. Plus it sends the wrong message, like they were the ones that were supposed to get under Vegas skin and instead Vegas got under their skin. Backfire. Just think if Reinhardt would have scored while shorthanded and tied the game. Those two wouldn't be able to return in O/T for what 5 minutes. It really hurt the team. I like the rough stuff but they got to keep within reason of the rules.
Well they were obviously just frustrated and lost composure. I don't think we'll see that again.

Reactions: jgs

dukedukowski

Jun 11, 2022
Screenshot_20230604-122027.png

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010

Weird that you don’t have that same energy for Pietrangelo running around and breaking two sticks on cross checks the very next shift.

WhataKnight

The KnightMan Cometh!
Jan 6, 2023
Weird that you don’t have that same energy for Pietrangelo running around and breaking two sticks on cross checks the very next shift.

You do have a point! But Beezer has a dirty mouth, so I cant sympathize too much.

Wouldn’t mind both Daley and Kolesar in his nightmares. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
Ownership of the crease will factor in mightily in this series, and I’m happy with the way the Knights (and Hill) are approaching it.

Hill’s a big boy, and at no point (outside of maybe PP2) will one of Pietrangelo, Hague, McNabb, Martinez or Whitecloud be on the ice. May benefit VGK more as the series continues.
I like the way they responded as well and I’m happy the officials didn’t resort to the lazy take one from each team tactic.

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
Yeah wasn’t a fan of that and he’s lucky he didn’t get called for those game action infractions.

Post whistle goonery is easier for refs to spot I guess. But the Panthers couldn’t control themselves maybe…whatever, it worked against them.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
We’ll see it again. The Panthers DNA is feisty.

Remains to be seen if VGK can exploit that.
You're overplaying this. Panthers aren't rabid dogs. They were able to find chinks in the armor of the Bruins, Leafs, and Canes through a good forechecking system and opportunistic scoring, and great goaltending by Bob. Along with smart and strategic agitating by Tkachuk and Bennett that threw some of the top players of those teams off their games. The Panthers were not sharp and did not execute well at all in this game. I assure you you'll see a much different team in game 2.

Reactions: 5 Hole and Lilou

WhataKnight

The KnightMan Cometh!
Jan 6, 2023
You're overplaying this. Panthers aren't rabid dogs. They were able to find chinks in the armor of the Bruins, Leafs, and Canes through a good forechecking system and opportunistic scoring, and great goaltending by Bob. Along with smart and strategic agitating by Tkachuk and Bennett that threw some of the top players of those teams off their games. The Panthers were not sharp and did not execute well at all in this game. I assure you you'll see a much different team in game 2.

Considering that this “down to the last drop” approach is in the Panthers ethos, I would argue that I’m not overplaying anything.

behemolari

öh¨ns-ä
Dec 1, 2011
Well they didn't help themselves with Tkachuk and Bennett punching people right in front of refs. Also the Montour hooking was a dumb penalty to take.

Those were like twenty questionable action later when Florida was melted already by fighting two and half period against both tough opponent and corrupted refs.

Most people are just unbelievable simple they can't see obvious fix in action.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad