Stanley Cup Finals: (WC2) Florida Panthers vs (P1) Vegas Golden Knights | VGK Lead 3-1

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Thought Vegas had a slight edge in game 1, a 3-2 Vegas win would reflect what happened out there. Game 2 was an apocalypse for Florida - they could not get to their style at all and Bob wilted, and now Gudas is mush. It's gonna take something beyond what Pittsburgh and Boston did in 09 and 11.
I don’t agree so much.

The Knights look really good so far, but I’m not sure if they’ve looked much better all year.

I don’t know if that’s Vegas peaking/wanting it more or if it’s all kabuki and the Panthers are good and on some weird tilt.

Don’t think anyone should be walking too confidently in Vegas tonight, but the chin should be up a couple of degrees for sure.

ChanceVegas

Barney on a bender
Jan 3, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
I don’t agree so much.

The Knights look really good so far, but I’m not sure if they’ve looked much better all year.

I don’t know if that’s Vegas peaking/wanting it more or if it’s all kabuki and the Panthers are good and on some weird tilt.

Don’t think anyone should be walking too confidently in Vegas tonight, but the chin should be up a couple of degrees for sure.
Hockey is weird. Anything can happen. Vegas fans can remember the epic meltdowns of years past. Things can change real fast for no discernable reason.

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
Vegas can definitely close this out with a sweep because that’s hockey but as easy of a win as that was for Vegas I think there’s some chance that it may not be too easily repeatable

I thought the game was pretty even from a chance generation standpoint until 3-0 and the Panthers faced a combination of forcing the issue/opening up too much and confusion with lines

xG charts will match but the Panthers had a slight edge in chances until Vegas had a dominant powerplay in the first to go up 1-0. Panthers followed with a dominant powerplay of their own with 5 good shots but couldn’t get one through. Vegas countered and scored off a relatively weak chance that you probably wouldn’t count on going in too much

At 2-0, the Gudas injury came up big, forcing Casey Fitzgerald into minutes when he should be in the press box ideally. He handed Vegas the chance on the 3rd goal but like the second it really wasn’t even that great of a chance. Another one you’d expect a save on

Panthers opened up from there and we’re playing in a line blender at forward and defense due to the injuries and initial Tkachuk misconduct

Miscommunications (playing with 4 players) and over-aggressiveness due to score led to some easy Vegas rush chances that they cashed in on

If Gudas is out for the series, which I assume he is, then the Panthers won’t be fixing the main issue here but on home ice they may be able to shelter Fitzgerald somewhat

Overall, I’d expect a much better effort from Florida in a neutral game state

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Vegas can definitely close this out with a sweep because that’s hockey but as easy of a win as that was for Vegas I think there’s some chance that it may not be too easily repeatable

I thought the game was pretty even from a chance generation standpoint until 3-0 and the Panthers faced a combination of forcing the issue/opening up too much and confusion with lines

xG charts will match but the Panthers had a slight edge in chances until Vegas had a dominant powerplay in the first to go up 1-0. Panthers followed with a dominant powerplay of their own with 5 good shots but couldn’t get one through. Vegas countered and scored off a relatively weak chance that you probably wouldn’t count on going in too much

At 2-0, the Gudas injury came up big, forcing Casey Fitzgerald into minutes when he should be in the press box ideally. He handed Vegas the chance on the 3rd goal but like the second it really wasn’t even that great of a chance. Another one you’d expect a save on

Panthers opened up from there and we’re playing in a line blender at forward and defense due to the injuries and initial Tkachuk misconduct

Miscommunications (playing with 4 players) and over-aggressiveness due to score led to some easy Vegas rush chances that they cashed in on

If Gudas is out for the series, which I assume he is, then the Panthers won’t be fixing the main issue here but on home ice they may be able to shelter Fitzgerald somewhat

Overall, I’d expect a much better effort from Florida in a neutral game state
I’m not familiar with your posts, are you an objective hockey evaluator-type person? Because the next two are in Florida, for whatever that means.

Not talking trash, just not sure what the neutral site thing brings to the conversation.

Reactions: FlaPanthers11

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
Thought Vegas had a slight edge in game 1, a 3-2 Vegas win would reflect what happened out there. Game 2 was an apocalypse for Florida - they could not get to their style at all and Bob wilted, and now Gudas is mush. It's gonna take something beyond what Pittsburgh and Boston did in 09 and 11.
This is a good take.

It’s true Florida was a disaster but the context I would add from a Florida fan perspective - and you can see more detailed thoughts above - is that a lot of tonight’s apocalypse was due to playing with 10/5 and chasing the game due to some weak goals

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
This is a good take.

It’s true Florida was a disaster but the context I would add from a Florida fan perspective - and you can see more detailed thoughts above - is that a lot of tonight’s apocalypse was due to playing with 10/5 and chasing the game due to some weak goals
I’m hoping for a good series that you guys eventually lose, of course, but I’ll give my input in saying that these were probably the best two games I’ve seen the Knights play.

It’s made it fun for me because I feel like they’re always playing over their head, but me knowing they’re playing above (what I think is) their weight makes me nervous for the coming games.

Way too much shit going right for the Knights right now. Not sure if it’s real, because after watching it all I’m like… I dunno.

Reactions: ChanceVegas

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
I’m not familiar with your posts, are you an objective hockey evaluator-type person? Because the next two are in Florida, for whatever that means.

Not talking trash, just not sure what the neutral site thing brings to the conversation.
Neutral game state as in score state (close game)

Panthers lost any semblance of structure when they opened up for offense tonight which was magnified because FLA has been using the same lines/pairings for months and those were in the blender tonight

When the game has been tied, I’ve liked FLA’s game both games. Just tonight they were chasing a huge deficit for most of the game which let things get out of hand

I think home-ice can benefit as well with being able to shelter the 4th line and Fitzgerald which are disasters anytime they’re on the ice

Reactions: BattleBorn

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
I just can't see past 4 games. One sided series so far. Florida plays dumb, Vegas plays smart.
Florida sometimes in the game, creating dangerous chances, mostly its Vegas having the puck and creating offence,

Florida trying to be the man, the bully, but they are laughable with their try and Matthew Tkachuk is the main reason;
fake tough guy act only goes so far.. playing dirty and chewing that mouth guard isn't tough

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Neutral game state as in score state (close game)

Panthers lost any semblance of structure when they opened up for offense tonight which was magnified because FLA has been using the same lines/pairings for months and those were in the blender tonight

When the game has been tied, I’ve liked FLA’s game both games. Just tonight they were chasing a huge deficit for most of the game which let things get out of hand

I think home-ice can benefit as well with being able to shelter the 4th line and Fitzgerald which are disasters anytime they’re on the ice
Understood.

I don’t think, as a fan for 30 years, I’ve ever felt as confident about not having a hole on the ice. This includes a few Blackhawks seasons where I was definitely drunk for most of the games.

The craziest thing is that I didn’t realize it until the playoffs, and I’m still not sold.

Not a lot of holes though.

Reactions: FlaPanthers11

ChanceVegas

Barney on a bender
Jan 3, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
Understood.

I don’t think, as a fan for 30 years, I’ve ever felt as confident about not having a hole on the ice. This includes a few Blackhawks seasons where I was definitely drunk for most of the games.

The craziest thing is that I didn’t realize it until the playoffs, and I’m still not sold.

Not a lot of holes though.
I think the biggest potential hole has turned into an advantage. His name is Adin Hill. I think the question in net is why we were all skeptical of the Knights chances. Question answered so far.

Based Anime Fan

Himedanshi Bandit
Mar 11, 2012
Tokai
Destiny huh? That cap overage in the playoffs doesnt help that "destiny" though, right?

If either team is a team of destiny, its the Panthers.

And enough crap about Cinderella team. While the Panthers were going through a transition year, a majority of the team is still high end talented players. They dealt with injuries throughout the season, along with a new coaching staff, and came on at the right time. This team is only going to get better over the next few seasons.

A Cinderella team is the Candiens from a few playoffs back.
There is no cap overage in the playoffs as there is no cap in the playoffs.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I think the biggest potential hole has turned into an advantage. His name is Adin Hill. I think the question in net is why we were all skeptical of the Knights chances. Question answered so far.
Frankly they’ve been answering that question all year.

Reactions: ChanceVegas

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Pretty much the only reason I had reservations of our chances. Vegas did a great job finding wins with numerous goalie injuries in the regular season but I didn't think there was a good chance of that lasting in the playoffs. Also given history, I thought Vegas' offense had a chance of going dry against good goalies. I'd look at our team and recognize that Cassidy's system was working on a different level than under DeBoer and Gallant, but I was apprehensive about how all that would translate in the postseason. Cassidy has proven himself.

ChanceVegas

Barney on a bender
Jan 3, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
Frankly they’ve been answering that question all year.
Agreed but when you are debating whether the starter is your 3rd or 4th string in the second round of the playoffs, I think it is legitimate to question if this thing is gonna work out or not... no matter what happened in the regular season.

ChanceVegas

Barney on a bender
Jan 3, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
Pretty much the only reason I had reservations of our chances. Vegas did a great job finding wins with numerous goalie injuries in the regular season but I didn't think there was a good chance of that lasting in the playoffs. Also given history, I thought Vegas' offense had a chance of going dry against good goalies. I'd look at our team and recognize that Cassidy's system was working on a different level than under DeBoer and Gallant, but I was apprehensive about how all that would translate in the postseason. Cassidy has proven himself.
Plus, rightly or not, to your point on the offense, I think we were all wondering how Eichel would perform in the playoffs. Some guys, no matter the talent, just get overwhelmed. Not so for Jack so far.

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
(1) VGK is deeper - in particular, 4th line and 3rd pairing are far superior
(2) VGK has been way more disciplined
(3) Hill is outplaying Bob, who looks tired
(4) Panthers are getting zero puck luck

(1) is immutable, barring injuries. (4) is up to the hockey gods.

Can Florida flip (2) and (3) to make a long series out of this?

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Vegas making Florida look like a bunch of amateurs.

At least 6 playoff teams in the West would have creamed this Florida team into a pulp. Florida will be lucky to take this to a game 5. They are outclassed. Teams like the Leafs have a long ways to go if this is the type of team to brush them aside in just 5 games.

West has better top end teams bar none. Not even close.

Reactions: Lady Macbeth
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad