SSM Greyhounds 2022-23 Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

shot caller

Apr 16, 2018
They seem to have found their scoring touch lately. Let's hope that they can put this rough patch to start the year in the rearview mirror and play more like I expected them to.
Out of curiosity, and speaking from a standings placement, where exactly did you expect this team to be playing at? 2nd, 5th, 7th?
I’m not positioning myself for an argument at all, I’m just genuinely interested in your assessment. We can base the discussion on OT/shoot out losses and if we had won all of them things would be different - I believe someone a few days ago made a statement that if we had won all our OT games, we would have been in first place. Either this statement is incredibly incorrect or I’m incredibly incorrect, but I have us winning all of those games and still only sitting in 6th place rather than being in 8th. It’s not a massive gain, and although it seems like adding 8 points to anyone’s season total should make a massive difference, adding 8 points to us would only move us to 6th place and there would still be a fair distance between us and any conference/division leaders. I’m comfortable thinking this team is an overachieving 5th or 6th spot or an expected 8th. I don’t think I’ve ever doubted a playoff spot being in reach for this team but I just don’t see it being an above average group.

Reactions: DWI Dale

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Out of curiosity, and speaking from a standings placement, where exactly did you expect this team to be playing at? 2nd, 5th, 7th?
I’m not positioning myself for an argument at all, I’m just genuinely interested in your assessment. We can base the discussion on OT/shoot out losses and if we had won all of them things would be different - I believe someone a few days ago made a statement that if we had won all our OT games, we would have been in first place. Either this statement is incredibly incorrect or I’m incredibly incorrect, but I have us winning all of those games and still only sitting in 6th place rather than being in 8th. It’s not a massive gain, and although it seems like adding 8 points to anyone’s season total should make a massive difference, adding 8 points to us would only move us to 6th place and there would still be a fair distance between us and any conference/division leaders. I’m comfortable thinking this team is an overachieving 5th or 6th spot or an expected 8th. I don’t think I’ve ever doubted a playoff spot being in reach for this team but I just don’t see it being an above average group.

Predicting a spot in the standings is a difficult thing to do. The universal assumption seemed to be that this team wouldn't make the playoffs, which I thought was pretty ridiculous.

If you asked me before the season, I would have predicted something like 12-11-3 right now instead of 8-10-8. That would put us in 7th, but it's not really about the standings. I've just been disappointed with the compete level on some nights and the development of some forwards. That being said, it's early and I have seen positive steps recently. I think we will see a better team going forward.

Reactions: shot caller

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
We have seen some positive things from this team, but I'm not sure they are prepared for what's in store for them leading up to the break. We are away at both NB and OS this weekend (with OSH sandwiched in the middle); two of the toughest barns to play in this year (both are top 5 for home win %). OSH, KIT, and GUE haven't played as well at home, but we have also been very inconsistent this season. Wouldn't surprise me to only pick up 3-4 points in these next 5 games. Hoping they prove me wrong.

Houndzfan20

Oct 31, 2017
Think the new lines have really worked out well the last two games. the top 3 lines seem to be complimenting each other well. and the 4th has always been fun to watch. really like Hookey on BMB's line. brings an element of toughness as well as some skill.

Couple notes from this weekend.

- For the first time in two years i haven't been nervous about the goaltending. Ivanov has been really, really good the last little bit. not only making the saves he should, but making numerous saves he shouldn't as well.

- Montroy has looked good since his return. hoping he can develop...we are going to need him next year.

- He's not getting the results but Cloutier is everywhere. love watching his tenacity.

- still not sold on Mignosa. he's getting points but seems scared most of the time and makes simple mistakes. Hoping he can get over that by next year when we really need him.

- BMB has looked great this year. i wasn't sold originally on him as the #4 pick but he really has developed and is a force most nights.

- Defence continues to impress. essentially only losing Thompson next year...this core will be very good.

- love the physicality of this team. Clattenberg, Savard, Carlisle, Thompson, Hookey....been awhile since we have had this rough of a team.

I really enjoyed the weekend games but man, i really want a top 3 draft pick this year.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Dustin Good is marked inactive on the roster, and it looks like he's had 2 games with the Elmira Sugar Kings. Assuming this transaction coincided with the return of Montroy.

Riverfront

Jan 5, 2015
Has anyone else heard talk about :
tanner dickinson return to the hounds ?
owen allard update on his return date ?
schenkel update on his return date ?

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
I didn't see the Owen Sound game Sunday, but read somehow the Soo media mixed up a radio interview with Sam Sedley, and TV interview with Colby Barlow.
I guess the TV guys didn't notice Sedleys name and number, and interviewed him as if he was Colby.

Seds played along, answering questions as if he were Colby, apparently at one point giving 'himself' props .

All in good fun .

In past years, local Rogers cable show Attack Rap features two players weekly, and it was common for other Attack players to call in and disguise their voices to ask the guest players questions about the team .

Andrew Shaw was a 'regular' caller .

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
I didn't see the Owen Sound game Sunday, but read somehow the Soo media mixed up a radio interview with Sam Sedley, and TV interview with Colby Barlow.
I guess the TV guys didn't notice Sedleys name and number, and interviewed him as if he was Colby.

Seds played along, answering questions as if he were Colby, apparently at one point giving 'himself' props .

All in good fun .

In past years, local Rogers cable show Attack Rap features two players weekly, and it was common for other Attack players to call in and disguise their voices to ask the guest players questions about the team .

The only interview I'm aware of was with Deni Goure in the first intermission. They didn't interview anyone in the second intermission.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
We have seen some positive things from this team, but I'm not sure they are prepared for what's in store for them leading up to the break. We are away at both NB and OS this weekend (with OSH sandwiched in the middle); two of the toughest barns to play in this year (both are top 5 for home win %). OSH, KIT, and GUE haven't played as well at home, but we have also been very inconsistent this season. Wouldn't surprise me to only pick up 3-4 points in these next 5 games. Hoping they prove me wrong.
The team can beat anyone if they play like they are capable of and it has shown in the last couple of games. The wins will come if Coach Dean can find some consistency. I'm not concerned about who they play.

Development is the key here. Winning and improvement now will make this team successful next year far more than a top 3 pick.

shot caller

Apr 16, 2018

All in good fun .

Yes, you’re correct.
Apparently, they were supposed to interview Sedley on the radio and Barlow on TV and somehow there was a mix up. Sedley showed up for the tv interview and Barlow for the radio interview. At least that is the explanation that the TV interviewer (Jim Fitzpatrick) said when he gave a half hearted explanation as to why he was calling Sedley by the name Barlow the entire time.

Reactions: DeletedAccountt

DeletedAccountt

Oct 14, 2017
What is the
Clattenburg is fine as a 4th line forward I guess but they seem to have players of this similar mold throughout a forward group that lacks top end skill.

He's only 17. He's a 10th round pick and he plays better than Chris Brown does...

I find we play different when Clattenburg is in the line up lol we play better.

I think this one comes back to bite all of you in the ass... he's going to be a very important piece to the future, and we will chat about a steal at 10th eventually.

The real issue is how Raftis has wasted 2 first round picks on '" off the chart" picks with Cloutier and Brown...

How we picked Holmes over Matier...

Reactions: staubitz

DeletedAccountt

Oct 14, 2017
so is Tanner still injured? if so, it's not unrealistic to suggest his hockey career could be done.

He's skated. The team has made a few comments about him, none of which sounds like his career is over lol.

Quick check on Twitter shows his bio now says Toledo. Toledo is the ECHL affilate for Detroit, as St Louis has no ECHL affilate. So he could be close to the Soo right now. Toledo is also basically 15 minutes away from Tanners hometown. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

He attended camp in July and skated. Here's an article about it where Tanner himself goes into depth on the injury and recovery and how he was feeling in July.

20221206_102704.jpg

Last edited:

scotty171

Sep 11, 2007
He's only 17. He's a 10th round pick and he plays better than Chris Brown does...

I find we play different when Clattenburg is in the line up lol we play better.

I think this one comes back to bite all of you in the ass... he's going to be a very important piece to the future, and we will chat about a steal at 10th eventually.

The real issue is how Raftis has wasted 2 first round picks on '" off the chart" picks with Cloutier and Brown...

How we picked Holmes over Matier...
I have no problem with Clattenburg. Maybe the offence will come and he can play a similar role to Savard but I am just saying that this lineup doesn't have a lot of top 6 skill. He's a 4th line winger. He plays hard. You need players in that mold to win for sure but they are a lot easier to find then top 6 players are. Duarte plays that style and they got him off the waiver wire.

I like the way Cloutier plays. I just wish he could finish his chances a bit more. Brown has lots of skill. They need to develop it now.

I agree the drafting has been a little suspect. I was a big fan of Matier in his draft year. Was pretty disappointed the Hounds didn't take him. They really haven't taken many local players in the draft the last few years. Even MacKay played his minor midget in waterloo and was drafted out of there.

Reactions: staubitz

Houndzfan20

Oct 31, 2017
The team can beat anyone if they play like they are capable of and it has shown in the last couple of games. The wins will come if Coach Dean can find some consistency. I'm not concerned about who they play.

Development is the key here. Winning and improvement now will make this team successful next year far more than a top 3 pick.

Development is key here. but 2 of the top 3 kids in this draft could be cornerstones. they could step in next year and totally produce. unlike the last two years where our first rounders haven't performed like first rounders. I'm all for developing our team. but come on, a top 3 pick will put pucks in the net. something we are sorely lacking this year. if any year is the year to grab one, this is the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad