SSM Greyhounds 2022-23 Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
we are paying for it now

and i think we will pay for it again at next years trade deadline. if you aren't in on acquiring a few of the top players available you aren't going anywhere in the spring. what a disappointment if we finally get another shot at hosting a mem cup and we're a mediocre back door team.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
If the Greyhounds are looking to contend next season, who does it make sense to put up for trade? Pretty well anyone that doesn't figure to be T6 forward, T4 defense, or starting goalie next year:
'02 Watson - small return
'02 Duarte - maybe a small return
'02 Thompson - probably no demand
'03 D'Intino - small return
'03 Ivanov - small return
'04 Hookey - small return
'04 Toms - small return
'04 Ballard - probably no demand
'04 Van De Ven - probably no demand
'05 Good - probably no demand
'05 Clattenburg - probably no demand
'05 Moses - probably no demand
'05 Cloutier - medium return
'05 Montroy - small return
'06 Brown - medium return

That would leave the following group as next years' core (4x forwards, 4x defense, 1x goalie):
'03 Savard
'03 Brzustowski
'04 BMB
'04 Kudryavtsev
'04 Allard
'04 Carlisle
'04 Schenkel
'05 Gibson
'05 Mignosa

Obviously you can't move all these players, but if you make 3 or 4 moves maybe it pads the cupboard enough to build a bit around next year's core. Next year add an impact '03 OA forward. Add an import forward that can play T6 (Nordh?). Supplement with a few more bottom 6 players. Maybe you come out with a half decent team on the other side?

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
HockeyPops just demonstrated perfectly how the organization has backed itself into a corner.

Any of our players with any significant value are integral to being competitive next year. Trading depth players this year for mid to late picks doesn't help us much for next year IMO. Mediocre picks to get more mediocre players?

DeletedAccountt

Oct 14, 2017
Sootoday now reporting UPPER body injury to Charlie

Screenshot_20221201_115040_Facebook.jpg

I can agree with this. They seem to have had their share of misses. But a pretty good 2020 and 2022 draft is a great start to the next cycle if they can get a good 2023 draft as well. Let's see what happens this summer.

This started when Vic left the scouting team.

What is the quickest way to retool the forward group? Is it to just accept a bad finish and try to get Roobreock or Moore in the draft? Roll the dice on some underachievers from other teams?

It seems like they have a lot of complimentary forwards at best. The back end and goaltending look fine moving forward. This is a real test for Raftis and I am wondering what way he goes.

Clattenburg is fine as a 4th line forward I guess but they seem to have players of this similar mold throughout a forward group that lacks top end skill.

I agree, a bottom 3 pick is the way to go this year.

Devin

Jul 25, 2018
If the Greyhounds are looking to contend next season, who does it make sense to put up for trade? Pretty well anyone that doesn't figure to be T6 forward, T4 defense, or starting goalie next year:
'02 Watson - small return
'02 Duarte - maybe a small return
'02 Thompson - probably no demand
'03 D'Intino - small return
'03 Ivanov - small return
'04 Hookey - small return
'04 Toms - small return
'04 Ballard - probably no demand
'04 Van De Ven - probably no demand
'05 Good - probably no demand
'05 Clattenburg - probably no demand
'05 Moses - probably no demand
'05 Cloutier - medium return
'05 Montroy - small return
'06 Brown - medium return

That would leave the following group as next years' core (4x forwards, 4x defense, 1x goalie):
'03 Savard
'03 Brzustowski
'04 BMB
'04 Kudryavtsev
'04 Allard
'04 Carlisle
'04 Schenkel
'05 Gibson
'05 Mignosa

Obviously you can't move all these players, but if you make 3 or 4 moves maybe it pads the cupboard enough to build a bit around next year's core. Next year add an impact '03 OA forward. Add an import forward that can play T6 (Nordh?). Supplement with a few more bottom 6 players. Maybe you come out with a half decent team on the other side?
This list kinda reminds me of this yard sale I went to when i was a kid, best item for sale was this only used once pair of fancy socks with only just a smidge of scent.

DeletedAccountt

Oct 14, 2017
Saginaw getting Haight really sucks. He's a player I wanted the Hounds to try and acquire for a potential Memorial Cup...

20221201_123533.jpg

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
This list kinda reminds me of this yard sale I went to when i was a kid, best item for sale was this only used once pair of fancy socks with only just a smidge of scent.

And yet if you had gone back Sunday afternoon those socks would have been gone along with 3/4 of the other stuff. One man's trash is another's treasure

Saginaw getting Haight really sucks. He's a player I wanted the Hounds to try and acquire for a potential Memorial Cup...
Hounds couldn't afford him; we don't have 3x2nds and 2x3rds. For reasons why, I will leave it to Dale to explain.

DeletedAccountt

Oct 14, 2017
Hounds couldn't afford him; we don't have 3x2nds and 2x3rds. For reasons why, I will leave it to Dale to explain.

What are you even talking about?

We have a 2024 2nd, 2025 2nd and a 2026 2nd. We have a 2026 3rd as well.

The only pick we didn't have was the 2025 3rd. Which Saginaw originally didn't either. Was an OS pick.

Do you even know what draft picks we have ?

We could have won this trade on picks alone... just think this is another classic example of Raftis always being behind the ball, always last to make a move, and lack of awareness to respond and fix the issues/areas that need fixing. Every year, not just this.

Edit: Maybe saying this trade would eliminate a chunk of picks from out stockpile but we definitely had the picks for this deal. This was a solid deal for Saginaw to benefit them this and next year and also gives them time to still make moves to gain some picks back..... something I think SSM will need if they want to avoid the basement.

Last edited:

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
so we empty the cupboard before we're even a contender? what do you we use next year at the deadline?

our present reality sucks but it was predictable and avoidable.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
What are you even talking about?

We have a 2024 2nd, 2025 2nd and a 2026 2nd. We have a 2026 3rd as well.

The only pick we didn't have was the 2025 3rd. Which Saginaw originally didn't either. Was an OS pick.

Do you even know what draft picks we have ?
Awfully confrontational post. Let's stick to the facts shall we?

According to the draft database:
1. We do NOT have a 2025 2nd as far as I am aware. We traded it to Windsor along with a 3rd prior to last draft to upgrade it to a 2022 2nd. That pick turned into Landon Miller.
2. We do have 2nds in 2023, 2024, and 2026. It is the 2x3rds that we do not possess. We only have the one you highlighted in 2025. Which is why I said we couldn't afford him. We did not have the picks to make that deal.

How can we win this trade on picks alone? Maybe if we give all our 2nds (3), 3rds (1), 4ths (4)?

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
Awfully confrontational post. Let's stick to the facts shall we?

According to the draft database:
1. We do NOT have a 2025 2nd as far as I am aware. We traded it to Windsor along with a 3rd prior to last draft to upgrade it to a 2022 2nd. That pick turned into Landon Miller.
2. We do have 2nds in 2023, 2024, and 2026. It is the 2x3rds that we do not possess. We only have the one you highlighted in 2025. Which is why I said we couldn't afford him. We did not have the picks to make that deal.

How can we win this trade on picks alone? Maybe if we give all our 2nds (3), 3rds (1), 4ths (4)?

is the OHL draft pick database no longer being updated?

the one i have bookmarked shows this for the hounds. can you share an updated chart?

20232nd---4th5th
20242ndOtt 3rd4th5th
20252nd---4th5th
20262nd3rd4th5th
20272nd3rd4th5th
20282nd3rd4th5th

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
It's not good for sure. I think you were just missing two transaction on yours. The 2022 2nd on your list was probably Hamilton's 2022 2nd, since we haven't had ours since the Taylor Raddysh deal. So the missing transactions would be 1) we shipped out Hamilton's 2022 2nd in the Jack Thompson trade last deadline. And 2) prior to last draft sending SOO 2025 2nd & OTT 2024 3rd to Ottawa for WSR 2022 2nd.

EDIT: Never mind, the 2022 picks aren't on there. Ignore the part about the Jack Thompson trade it was only one transaction missing.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Big goal by Kirill Kudryavtsev to get that overtime monkey off of our back and get us into a playoff spot.

We'd be a lot more secure if they could play better after 60 minutes, but I believe in this team and it would be huge to get playoff experience going into next season.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
You gotta learn to finish. Hopefully the young guns take something from that. From what Gerry Liscumb Jr described both the fans and the players enjoyed it.

Gerry is definitely underappreciated as a play by play guy. Seems like he deserves a shot beyond 101.3 but that's just me.

Reactions: Bearness
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad