SSM Greyhounds 2022-23 Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Certainly a Wright trade would help Kingston restock, but looking down their roster I am not sure who beyond Hemstrom and Ludwinski they are building around. I suppose if they make some big retooling moves this year by moving Zigalov, Hache, Arcuri they could strengthen their bid for next year. Will have to wait and see what they look like and how full their cupboard is post trade deadline.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Certainly a Wright trade would help Kingston restock, but looking down their roster I am not sure who beyond Hemstrom and Ludwinski they are building around. I suppose if they make some big retooling moves this year by moving Zigalov, Hache, Arcuri they could strengthen their bid for next year. Will have to wait and see what they look like and how full their cupboard is post trade deadline.
The actual team almost doesn’t matter at all. Any team could get good in a year by trading all their picks and young players if they decided to. It’s just about hotels near the arena and who can make the CHL money. Soo would have to play the underdog card and hope the CHL decides to give them a shot. I assume Kingston wins it because their arena has so many hotels near by, which the committee is obsessed with. The good news for you is it’s basically a two team race because no chance Niagara’s owner is getting it

Reactions: DeletedAccountt

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
fair question:

have you ever actually BEEN to the sault?

i feel like if you believe a lack of hotels is what harms our chances, you have either never been here, or certainly didn't notice that there are 4 hotels within a direct sight line of the arena lol.

Last edited:

DeletedAccountt

Oct 14, 2017
Not one person will convince me that wasn't a slew foot. It's the new way of hitting.. ORourke did it all the time too and got caught. Brutal...

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
No idea who HL11 is. Also, Charlie ran over? lol, what league do you think we play in... the mentality of some posters have me shaking my head. The kids on the ice are way more mature than that, and I feel like they may even be more mature than some of our posters.

If they wanna get even with the Savard situation, then someone can fight Savard.

Savard literally ran Gaudreau. He repositioned, may as well have jumped into the guy for crying out loud. Senseless hit.
Sorry. It was in reference to a Windsor poster who only ever sees things in his team’s favor/or against his team with no neutrality in his viewpoint. I don’t expect Schenkel to get run over nor am I suggesting it. Just alluding to the fact that if it were to happen in similar fashion you could be sure the reaction by one certain Soo poster would be something along the lines of “Clear intent to injure!!! He should be suspended for 20 games!!!”

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Not one person will convince me that wasn't a slew foot. It's the new way of hitting.. ORourke did it all the time too and got caught. Brutal...
FWIW I saw a clear slew foot. Pinned him against the boards as he kicked his feet out so he falls back and lands on his head. Did it at full speed though so Boucher could argue there was no intent, but it looks like a clear slew foot to me

DeletedAccountt

Oct 14, 2017
FWIW I saw a clear slew foot. Pinned him against the boards as he kicked his feet out so he falls back and lands on his head. Did it at full speed though so Boucher could argue there was no intent, but it looks like a clear slew foot to me

It was very bad. Both of Bruz feet go directly up in the air as if they were just swept from under him. Glad to hear he's doing good.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
Rights to Blair Scott (D) dealt to Kitchener Rangers. Conditional 9th coming back.
does anybody know what the conditions were?
a 9th for a guy we picked in the in the 5th last year is a bad return so I'm assuming given that he signed we get more?

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
It's tough to say. Remember we only traded his rights, he never signed with us. So a 9th for a prospect we drafted 5th round and who wasn't making the squad isn't too bad really. I think it's a good deal for both teams, and for the player involved. Win win win. If the pick does upgrade at some point, it's just gravy.

Reactions: sbpointer

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
It's tough to say. Remember we only traded his rights, he never signed with us. So a 9th for a prospect we drafted 5th round and who wasn't making the squad isn't too bad really. I think it's a good deal for both teams, and for the player involved. Win win win. If the pick does upgrade at some point, it's just gravy.
i'll agree to disagree.

a 5th in 2021 parlayed into a conditional 9th is poor asset management. another pick pissed away as far as i'm concerned. lol.

my understanding is the kid wanted to play at home, not that he wasn't good enough. he seems to have been good enough to sign with the rangers.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Rangers have a shortage of defensemen. I like Scott in camp, and had Virgilio not signed we very well might have signed Scott. If he was willing to sign. I have no knowledge of that.

Every year 2/3 of our prospects go unsigned, and we get nothing back for them. Agreeing to disagree seems wise in this case. Hope you're right about the pick upgrading, however.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
Hope you're right about the pick upgrading, however.
If the pick was upgraded on signing then my entire point is moot lol :)

My concern remains that Raftis is much better at spending/wasting picks than he is at recouping them. And after 4 years of management selling us the magic beans about "not needing to rebuild" I find it odd that we are struggling so much this year.

Last edited:

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
i'll agree to disagree.

a 5th in 2021 parlayed into a conditional 9th is poor asset management. another pick pissed away as far as i'm concerned. lol.

my understanding is the kid wanted to play at home, not that he wasn't good enough. he seems to have been good enough to sign with the rangers.
i think he was a bad 5th round pick, but a good trade to get something for him to be honest.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Well, here is the way too early 2023-2024 roster prediction post. Assuming we are contending, it's tough to judge the returning players and where they would slot in on a contender, but I'm gonna try anyway lol.

LWCRWLDRDG
Savard L (03)McConnell-Barker Sr. L (04)Watson R OA (02)Kudryavtsev L (04)Thompson R OA (02)Ivanov L (03)
D'Intino L (03)Allard L (04)Mignosa R (05)Carlisle L (04)Virgilio R (06)Schenkel R (04)
Brown L (06)Ballard R (04)Cloutier R (05)Toms L (04)Gibson R (05)
Clattenburg L (05)Duarte R OA (02)Hookey R (04)Brzustowski L (03)Van De Ven R (04)
Moses R (05)Kostov R (06)
Good R (05)
First, of our 4 potential returning '03s, Ivanov is the odd man out with Miller ready in the wings to back up Schenkel. We are still weak at LW so keeping both D'Intino and Savard makes sense. Brzustowski would be the 3rd OA next season.

FORWARD GROUP

Top 6:
big BMB
*big fish addition*
D'Intino (OA)/upgrade
Allard
Savard (OA)
Mignosa

I think D'Intino brings enough to play top 6 on a contender and warrant returning him as a 3rd OA. If not, we may need to go OA shopping. Not sure if we will see Brown take the necessary steps to play in the top 6, if not we may need to go out and get someone. I guess there is still a chance Cloutier gets there, but it's starting to look less and less likely. Might even benefit from a change of scenery.

Bottom 6:
Brown
Cloutier
Hookey
Ballard
Clattenburg
Kostov
Moses
Good
2023 1st rounder
2023 2nd rounder

Lots of returning players to round out the forward group. Signs of potential here, but the question is who is going to step up this year and earn the ice?

DEFENSE GROUP

Top 4:
Kudryavtsev
Carlisle
Brzustowski (OA)
Virgilio
Gibson

We are returning a very strong defense corps. I put 5 names in here, because I couldn't really pick a top 4. No additions needed for the top 4 next season.

Bottom pair:
Toms
whichever name above doesn't make top 4

Extras
Van De Ven
baby BMB

Even the bottom end of the defense is looking strong next year.

GOALTENDING

Schenkel
Miller

Things are trending well for goaltending, provided Miller is ready to be a backup.

Final thoughts. The depth of the forward group is the real question mark here. Even with a couple of forward additions to the top 6, we really need our bottom two lines to start figuring things out this season.

Reactions: Houndzfan

three dog night

May 3, 2014
The actual team almost doesn’t matter at all. Any team could get good in a year by trading all their picks and young players if they decided to. It’s just about hotels near the arena and who can make the CHL money. Soo would have to play the underdog card and hope the CHL decides to give them a shot. I assume Kingston wins it because their arena has so many hotels near by, which the committee is obsessed with. The good news for you is it’s basically a two team race because no chance Niagara’s owner is getting it
Don’t sell Niagara short

DeletedAccountt

Oct 14, 2017

So I did a little digging and I think ssm has more hotels near the arena because of how smaller the city is. I'll confirm again. It's probably pretty close actually.

edit: It doesn't seem close at all, I think we have way more...

Last edited:

DeletedAccountt

Oct 14, 2017
Sault Ste Marie map showing hotels near the arena. That furthest one away ($159) is a 7-minute drive from the arena. GFL arena ping is hidden under the $154 tag at the bottom by the water. It's a one-way route from the cluster of hotels 4-7 minutes away to the arena. We have 4 hotels within a legit spitting distance of the arena LOL
Soo Hotels.PNG

Kingston Ontario map showing hotels near the arena. The arena is the red dot on the map. I cant speak for Kingston as I've never been personally, but it doesn't look like they have any arenas as close as we do...
Kingston Hotels.png

DeletedAccountt

Oct 14, 2017
Not that I personally think Niagara has a chance....but here is Niagara too. Red ping is the arena.

I think SSM is still better suited for it... maybe I'm biased though LOL

Niagara Hotels.png

DeletedAccountt

Oct 14, 2017

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
It was nice to see such a stout defensive effort against Sudbury after some poor play in our own end against Peterborough and Ottawa.

Caedan Carlisle is so solid defensively. You don't notice him a lot, but it's a huge hole when he is not in the lineup. The Wolves got nothing when he was on the ice tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad