SSM Greyhounds 2022-23 Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedAccountt

Oct 14, 2017
Just a reminder that this afternoons game is on TSN. 2:05 puck drop.

Edit: Might only be on the TSN APP.

Screenshot_20221009_100458_Chrome.jpg

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
The OHL is a league where early season performances are a good indicator of future success because players can make such big jumps over the summer.

Schenkel looks he's ready to take the starting job and run with it. His development has been a really pleasant surprise. Gibson also looks like he's ready to seize a top 4 role and play big minutes for this team, which is something we really needed.

This team's track record in development made it obvious that several players would break out and lead this team where it needs to go. Who else do you guys see making a big impact this season? Carlisle has been a rock defensively, but I think he has more to give on offense.

Last edited:

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Rough game for Schenkel today. He did fairly well in a first period where we weren't at our best, but let in 3 soft goals when we pushed back and dominated the second half of the game. I would think Ivanov gets the next start.

On the plus side, McConnell Barker had his first good game of the year. He and D'Intino were really locked in, but couldn't get it past Gaudreau.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
Rough game for Schenkel today. He did fairly well in a first period where we weren't at our best, but let in 3 soft goals when we pushed back and dominated the second half of the game. I would think Ivanov gets the next start.

On the plus side, McConnell Barker had his first good game of the year. He and D'Intino were really locked in, but couldn't get it past Gaudreau.
I think the sting sat back abit in the third lol. And Gaudreau only played half the game.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
I think the sting sat back abit in the third lol. And Gaudreau only played half the game.

I would agree with that. In the latter half of the second as well. It would have cost them had the goaltending been more even.

DeletedAccountt

Oct 14, 2017
After 5 games:
Top 3 in points:
Andrew Gibson 2G 3A 5P
Marco Mignosa 1G 3A 4P
Tyler Savard 1G 3A 4P

Goaltending:
Charlie Schenkel
5GP
3.55GAA
0.905%
1SO

Record: 2-3-0-0

Reactions: shot caller

DeletedAccountt

Oct 14, 2017
3 players I feel don't end the year in the Soo

Toms, Hookey, Savard.

For me, the telling stat is Schenkel’s %. That is the most direct indicator of his personal development.

He's looked great. Calm, poised, he could use a bit more speed but he recognizes that he's big and if he's in the right position he's going to make the save.

Reactions: shot caller

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
spits win in OT. hounds had a 4 on 3 advantage in OT but couldn't capitalize. windsor had a man advantage after and made good on it. in the end that was the difference although windsor seems to have won the goaltending battle.

Devin

Jul 25, 2018
soo takes a point despite barrie having 2 goals called off.

you know when your about to take red, but the cart lady offers you free beer & the clock times out so u couldnt make ur bet, and the number comes up black then saving yourself a loss in the end.

yeah.. i'd compare.. s'all luck

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
i saw my first game in person this year.
the good was seeing Duarte - he looks like a steal. the bad was all the picked off passes and bad turnovers on breakouts or in the NZ. the ugly was clawing all the way back and not finishing the job.

Reactions: HockeyPops

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Didn't watch tonight, but

Cooper Matthews ... beat Greyhounds goaltender Samuel Ivanov with a shot from the high slot high glove side.
Callum Chisholm ... broke down the left wing and beat Greyhounds goaltender Ivanov high glove
Lowe took a pass from Beau Jelsma and went high glove
Jacob Frasca connected for the winner... beat Ivanov high glove.

Reactions: Houndzfan

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Hmmmm....he's not on the roster any more, and no mention of him in the live blog as a scratch. Didn't even notice that they removed him. Elite Prospects says he's played 5 games with the Cornwall Colts of the CCHL and registered 1 assist.

I guess he's the odd man out.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Hmmm...our 2 highest scoring rookies this year so far are defensemen. Bright future for Gibson and Virgilio, but where is our scoring from the forwards (rooks and vets alike)?

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Hmmm...our 2 highest scoring rookies this year so far are defensemen. Bright future for Gibson and Virgilio, but where is our scoring from the forwards (rooks and vets alike)?
The vets have been alright, but it's been a disappointing start for our second year forwards like Cloutier, Mignosa, and Hookey.

Getting Savard back from his inexplicable suspension for being pushed into a goalie will help. Hopefully Allard is back soon as well. He had a really promising rookie year.

One look at the league's media notes will tell you that forwards are available at reasonable prices. I'd like to see Raftis make a move and grab an 03 for our top 6. I think it would ensure that our young guys don't get over exposed.

mag1600

Jun 15, 2012
Time will tell if Raftis made a mistake in drafting Justin Clouthier and Christopher Brown in the first round these last 2 drafts. In addition, I also think he made a mistake in NOT taking Jack Matier.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Time will tell if Raftis made a mistake in drafting Justin Clouthier and Christopher Brown in the first round these last 2 drafts. In addition, I also think he made a mistake in NOT taking Jack Matier.
He hasn't been all that different from Jacob Holmes in terms of OHL production or NHL draft position.

Surely he's the better player right now, but that pick hardly changed the team's trajectory or anything. It seems an odd one to nitpick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad