Rumor: Seravalli: Rangers been all over JT Miller

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
None of what you said contradicts what I said. You can go to capfriendly right now and look at the Rangers cap hit for next year. It's at $71M with 14 players. So that's not re-signing any UFAs or RFAs. No Strome, no Georgiev, no Kakko, no Blais, no Gauthier, no Hajek. Adding Miller means they have to let all those guys walk and fill out the remaining six roster spots with $750k players.

I get the point you're trying to make, but in what universe are the Rangers not finding cap space for Kakko? Have you seen his stats...how much do you think he gets on a bridge deal at this point? $2.5? $2.75? Whatever he winds up with, they'd dump Nemeth, Reaves & even Lindgren to make room for Kakko's money if they made a big salary acquisition like JT Miller.

And Strome being a casualty of this move is not a detriment to many Ranger fans. That's an added benefit of upgrading the 2C position. The rest of those names are easily replaced.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
I mean....Lundkvist was voted as our teams top prospect by our board so, yea he is a top prospect.

Well Klimovich is the Canucks top prospect but that doesn't exactly mean he's a top guy league wide.

Nor does Lundkvist fall in that category.

I mean if you want to say he has enough value as the centerpiece in a trade like this sure but for us to add and retain? Get real.

Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

dellzor

Bo Horvat's Head
Nov 21, 2016
Vancouver, BC
Way too much.

Putting aside the oddity of trading for a player we moved on from not THAT long ago because of how poorly he meshed with the team culture, the obvious parallel deal here is the Yandle to NY trade from a few years back. High end player at a key position, 50% retained with a season and a half left on his contract. Similar ages (Yandle was 28 when traded).

Yandle returned:
- 1st rounder
- 2nd rounder (the following year)
- a 3rd pair journeyman defender (John Moore)
- a well-regarded rookie (former 3rd round pick Anthony Duclair, who had put up 7 points in his first 18 games).

And that was considered a lot back then. None of those pieces was valued as highly as Schneider. I still don't think Miller is a fit for the Rangers ($$ and bad prior history), but the equivalent Rangers package would look more like:

-1st rounder
-2nd rounder
-Nemeth
-Zac Jones

There are variations to be made here, but none that involve Schneider going back. I wouldn't move Chytil in a Miller trade, either. You want to upgrade from Nemeth to Hajek? Fine--replace the 2nd rounder with a 4th rounder. You want to upgrade from Jones to Nils Lundkvist? Fine. Remove the 1st rounder.

You get a better offer than this from another team? Accept it, by all means.

Foligno got a 1st and a 4th

Duchene got a 1st 2nd 3rd, Girard and Kamenev and Bowers

Coleman got a 1st and Nolan Foote

Goodrow got a 1st

Miller is better than all those players listed, plays all three positions and is under contract for another year at a steal of a price how is that way too much

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013

Goodrow got a 1st

Miller is better than all those players listed, plays all three positions and is under contract for another year at a steal of a price how is that way too much
I feel like some Rags fans still see their version of JTM

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Well Klimovich is the Canucks top prospect but that doesn't exactly mean he's a top guy league wide.

Nor does Lundkvist fall in that category.

I mean if you want to say he has enough value as the centerpiece in a trade like this sure but for us to add and retain? Get real.
I was just arguing that Lundkvist is valued as a top prospect. Not saying Nucks need to add or anything else about that proposal.

And Klimovich is definitely not the Canucks top prospect lol.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas

Goodrow got a 1st

I feel like some Rags fans still see their version of JTM

Yup, it's like they don't realize Miller is 16th in scoring since 19-20, is the best faceoff player on the Canucks not named Horvat. Comes at only 5.25m a year till the end of next season, can be retained at 50% to make it 2.625m, plays the PK and the PP.

Then trade him to someone who can re-sign him. Or ask yourself why you've been trying to trade him all season. The Rangers have the 3rd best PK in the league. They have the 10th best power play. Why would they disrupt either unit?

It's too much, in part, because the Rangers have NO cap room next season. Strome will have to walk regardless of whether or not we bring in someone at the deadline (unless he takes a pay cut, which would be absurd as he's earned a raise). Chytil is our only cost-controlled center with top six upside. He's been blocked by Zib and Strome pretty much since he's been here. He's a player I 100% expect to break out once he starts getting regular playing time with top six players. So it baffles me that they would bring in ANOTHER player to block him (especially since we wouldn't be able to re-sign him after next year due to the cap crunch).

It's too much because Schneider is a key building block on the right side of our defense, and the player that will let us move on from Trouba at some point, freeing up that cap space.

It's too much because the Rangers aren't really a threat to win the Cup this season. Half the team isn't finished with puberty yet, and only a couple of guys have even experienced playoff hockey (and it was years ago for those guys).

It's too much because we don't need a #1 center. We have one. He's better than Miller. We don't even need a second line center in the short term. Strome is fine, and has great chemistry with Panarin. We need young, cost controlled centers. After Chytil, we literally don't have any in the system. So trading Chytil and our 1st to bring in a guy who won't make us any more likely to win the Cup this year or next is a waste of assets.

It's too much because the Rangers, as a franchise, put a priority on character. They took a loss on DeAngelo because of character. They walked away from Nik Zherdev because of character. They walked away from Avery because of character. And they already traded Miller once because of character. Miller then had issues in Tampa and in Vancouver.

You joke about how we think he's "their version of JTM." Look at the production rate for Miller's last two seasons with the Rangers. They are very close to what he's done with Vancouver. The difference is that Vancouver plays him 4+ more minutes per game. He wouldn't get those kinds of minutes on the Rangers. They aren't breaking up Zib/Kreider or Strome/Zibanejad, which leaves 3rd line use and 2nd unit power play time. Why pay top dollar for a player who won't get used enough to justify it?

And again, I go back to my Yandle parallel--both players the same age, in key positions, in that "very good but not elite" category of player. Yandle brought back a 1st, a 2nd, a former 3rd round pick who had just cracked the NHL roster, and a journeyman defenseman. Chytil and Schneider each have more value than any of those pieces. And Yandle didn't have a persistent reputation as a locker room cancer dragging him down.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
I was just arguing that Lundkvist is valued as a top prospect. Not saying Nucks need to add or anything else about that proposal.

And Klimovich is definitely not the Canucks top prospect lol.

Well it's either Rathbone or Klimovich, cupboards are pretty empty over here lol.

Rathbone has potential but he's almost 23 and hasn't been able to hold a spot in the NHL, whereas Klim is doing okay in the AHL as a 19 year-old (D+1 season).

Rathbone likely has a higher ceiling but Klim likely a higher floor.

Either way, point is just because X is Y team's top prospect, doesn't mean he is one league wide.

Reactions: bh53

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Schneider+1st+Chytil for Miller@50% is completely fair.

if you want to keep Schneider then:

Lundqvist+Chytil+Kravtsov+1st
Schneider isn't realistic. If you think that talks end there then so be it

If a deal was made it would be a package of pieces lesser than Schneider or Othmann, similar to the Rangers trading away McDonagh, or trading for Yandle

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Schneider+1st+Kravtsov/Chytil for Miller@50% is completely fair.

schneider isn’t going anywhere for a myriad of reasons. The most obvious is he’s on the current rangers roster and playing well since his call up.
The hope is he stabilizes the 3rd pair and eventually takes over for trouba.
They certainly won’t deal him for a player only signed for 2 seasons.
But the bigger reason is teams what to add to what they have going into the playoffs. Not subtract from one part to add to another.
If there is a trade for miller, Think most likely futures. Probably a Lundkvist/Jones, 1st etc that type of thing. Maybe they even make a guy like Cuylle available, because while he has solid potential, he’s not playing a pivotal spot on the current team they are trying to make stronger

Reactions: bernmeister

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
schneider isn’t going anywhere for a myriad of reasons. The most obvious is he’s on the current rangers roster and playing well since his call up.
The hope is he stabilizes the 3rd pair and eventually takes over for trouba.
They certainly won’t deal him for a player only signed for 2 seasons.
But the bigger reason is teams what to add to what they have going into the playoffs. Not subtract from one part to add to another.
Fair enough, then be expected to add quantity.
Lundqvist+Kravtsov+Chytil+1st/2nd for Miller retained.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Fair enough, then be expected to add quantity.
Lundqvist+Kravtsov+Chytil+1st/2nd for Miller retained.

this would probably be closer to what would actually happen if a deal got done.
NYR fans have this pretty down pat. Up until the last 4 years when the letter was released, they’ve made big trade deadline trades for high end players constantly.
It usually always contains futures. And if there is a roster player included, it’s not likely a big time young gun/impact player.
I would think if they retained on miller, something like 1 of Lundkvist/kravtsov +chytil+1st. And maybe a conditional 2nd

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Unless your team is trading a franchise player you shouldn't expect to restock your entire prospect pool in one trade lol

This delusion happens every trade deadline

JT Miller is our franchise player though :oops:

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
as a neutral fan i would think that the rangers and canucks are perfect for each other . the rangers have a lot of prospects and picks . the canucks i believe would accept a first second and a couple prospects for miller . the rangers could easily trade miller next year for a first plus if they needed to . if this was the case the rangers get miller this year for a playoff run for really a second and b prospect type . win win for everyone no ?

this would be if vancouver falls out of the race by the deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad