Rumor: Seravalli: Rangers been all over JT Miller

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
It's not a fair comparable

Mainly because the reason why ROR returned so little was because the sabres owner made it CLEAR that he was not paying his 7 million dollar signing bonus and wanted him traded before then

I agree it’s not a perfect comparable but it’s better than Keith Yandle.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Bring Bo Horvat with him JTM.

Let’s see, (LW) Othmann, (LW) Cuylle, C) Chytil, (D) Nils, (RW) Kravtsov, (D) Miller

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Same. I just don't see Miller putting up "Vancouver numbers" with what his role would be on the Rangers, so it doesn't make sense to pay that price tag. Granted, I also see the Rangers' "window" as opening a year or two from now (ie: after the young kids on D get a bit more experience and the young players throughout the roster get a couple tastes of playoff hockey).

Ironically, 2022 Miller is the kind of player we could have used the year we lost to the Kings in the SCF. A player who could have bumped all of our other centers down a line to get better match-ups. If you're looking for futures, your best bet is a team in contention where Miller would instantly be their top center (or at least have a spot on the top PP unit). Maybe Washington? Carolina? Nashville or TB? Best of luck to you.

I think Colorado and Nashville make more sense. Colorado has uncertainty with Kadri likely getting a huge deal in UFA.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
For the record, I'm not sure how much I believe this report. The Rangers tend to be pretty tight-lipped about things like this, and when they DO leak, it's usually through Larry Brooks. That would seem to indicate that this leak came from a non-Rangers source. The most likely source that would benefit from the rest of the league thinking that the Rangers (and their full cupboard of prospects) were "all in" on Miller? Vancouver. I wouldn't be shocked at all if Vancouver leaked this out in the hopes that it would raise the offers from teams who are actually interested in Miller.

He just doesn't make sense for the Rangers in the same way that Hertl doesn't. Why pay first line center prices for a guy who would be playing on your third line* and only getting 2nd PP time? The Rangers need either a gritty, shoot-first RW, OR a gritty 3rd line center who can win faceoffs.

* Kreider-Zibanejad and Panarin-Strome have been together for literally years. They aren't breaking those tandems up, so whoever they bring in will be on the 3rd line.

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
The Rangers would obviously have to circle back to this in the summer when Fox's raise kicks in but we currently have $12m in cap space.
It makes even less sense after this season. The Rangers have like $10M in cap space and only have 14 guys under contract. They would have to let Blais and Kakko walk and fill out the roster with minimum salary guys.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
For the record, I'm not sure how much I believe this report. The Rangers tend to be pretty tight-lipped about things like this, and when they DO leak, it's usually through Larry Brooks. That would seem to indicate that this leak came from a non-Rangers source. The most likely source that would benefit from the rest of the league thinking that the Rangers (and their full cupboard of prospects) were "all in" on Miller? Vancouver. I wouldn't be shocked at all if Vancouver leaked this out in the hopes that it would raise the offers from teams who are actually interested in Miller.

He just doesn't make sense for the Rangers in the same way that Hertl doesn't. Why pay first line center prices for a guy who would be playing on your third line* and only getting 2nd PP time? The Rangers need either a gritty, shoot-first RW, OR a gritty 3rd line center who can win faceoffs.

* Kreider-Zibanejad and Panarin-Strome have been together for literally years. They aren't breaking those tandems up, so whoever they bring in will be on the 3rd line.

While the Rangers may be tight lipped, Rutherford has really never been tight lipped at all. My experience of his long time in Carolina is that he also is pretty direct about things like this (ie...doesn't play games trying to drum up more interest). McKenzie and a lot of the other key media people had a direct line to him and he seemingly never shied away from talking to them.

Not saying this means the Rangers are beating down a door to get Miller, just saying that Rutherford has been known to be pretty open with these guys.

Reactions: smoneil

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
It makes even less sense after this season. The Rangers have like $10M in cap space and only have 14 guys under contract. They would have to let Blais and Kakko walk and fill out the roster with minimum salary guys.
Georgiev won't re-sign and I can't see the Rangers extending Strome. Lundqvist's buyout comes off the books. Chytil and Nemeth can be moved.

That's over 8 million right there and Zibanejad's raise is only about 3.3m.

Plus the 12 currently open, that's about 16.7m. Factor in Fox's increase of 8.5m and the Rangers should be operating with about $3-8.2m in cap space depending on who they move.

There's work to be done but it's not the doomsday scenario it's always made out to be with the Rangers.

Reactions: pld459666

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
All these eichel comparisons!

Miller also isn’t $10M/ season… nor is he coming back from major surgery. Oh and he only has 1.5yrs left on his contract. So either way it’s a low risk, high reward opportunity for a top 6 player who can play wing or centre… pp/pk!

And no I am not saying he’s better than eichel. I am just giving you tangible reasons why his worth is high!

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
some points
A) Vancouver wont have just the Rangers poking around at Miller
B)A lot of the team asking about Miller will be from the East
C)The Rangers dont have the room to sign all their young player so some of them are going to be included in whatever trades they decide to make

The asking price is a
Grade A Prospect
a 1st
Another Asset

Last edited:

Petey O

I can teach you how to play gicky gackers
Feb 26, 2021
Brock Boeser
JT at 50% is worth imo about the equivalent of 3 1sts.

So

1st, Schneider, Chytil/Kravstov/Lundvist etc.

That's what it will take for such a valuable asset.

People need to take into account what he brings with his contract at 50%. The rest of this season + playoffs, and next season + playoffs making the equivalent of what a 3rd liner makes. At 1C ability.

If you don't think that's worth 3 firsts to a team who wants to 'go for it', you're, frankly, nuts.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
All these eichel comparisons!

Miller also isn’t $10M/ season… nor is he coming back from major surgery. Oh and he only has 1.5yrs left on his contract. So either way it’s a low risk, high reward opportunity for a top 6 player who can play wing or centre… pp/pk!

And no I am not saying he’s better than eichel. I am just giving you tangible reasons why his worth is high!

That's not necessarily a positive factor in his value though. For some teams maybe it is, but for many others, they'd want someone with more term.

I won't get into value debates as they always have wide gaps between fans of opposing teams, just saying that the 1.5 year term isn't really a positive in many cases.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
That's not necessarily a positive factor in his value though. For some teams maybe it is, but for many others, they'd want someone with more term.

I won't get into value debates as they always have wide gaps between fans of opposing teams, just saying that the 1.5 year term isn't really a positive in many cases.
It’s funny as some people think the extra year devalues him… thinking a pure rental would fetch more. Then others think more term is better… it’s likely a personal preference. There’s risk/reward anyway you cut it.

miller is a shade over $5M and for what he does/ produces that is good value. Heck Canucks could entertain retention too. These types just don’t grow on trees.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
I still dont think he will be traded but, its fun making proposals. Trading Miller means trying to find a replacement and unless we are getting a top 4 D and a C with at least 3C upside there is little reason to do it

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
Georgiev won't re-sign and I can't see the Rangers extending Strome. Lundqvist's buyout comes off the books. Chytil and Nemeth can be moved.

That's over 8 million right there and Zibanejad's raise is only about 3.3m.

Plus the 12 currently open, that's about 16.7m. Factor in Fox's increase of 8.5m and the Rangers should be operating with about $3-8.2m in cap space depending on who they move.

There's work to be done but it's not the doomsday scenario it's always made out to be with the Rangers.
None of what you said contradicts what I said. You can go to capfriendly right now and look at the Rangers cap hit for next year. It's at $71M with 14 players. So that's not re-signing any UFAs or RFAs. No Strome, no Georgiev, no Kakko, no Blais, no Gauthier, no Hajek. Adding Miller means they have to let all those guys walk and fill out the remaining six roster spots with $750k players.

NoQuitInNewMexico

it's okay cause it's all just the way it should be
Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
I don't want them to make a big move for any of these veteran players. I get it, but I don't want to see it. There's an idiot scumbag Evander Kane sitting around for free. Just bite the bullet and pick him up. No one knows what a Filip Chytil or a Brennan Othmann is going to be in three years, but the way Lafreniere and Kakko are looking we might need all those guys.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
I think we’re way too far apart on a trade here. NYR don’t seem to want to give up a top prospect, if that’s the case, I don’t see how you’re going to get the top player available by trade, signed for a discount for another full season.

I’d be looking for a fairly considerable package to move Miller, he’s been just too good. I’ll take my chances and re-sign him if we aren’t getting good value.

Reactions: Bettman Returnz
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad