Rumor: Seravalli: Rangers been all over JT Miller

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Then trade him to someone who can re-sign him. Or ask yourself why you've been trying to trade him all season. The Rangers have the 3rd best PK in the league. They have the 10th best power play. Why would they disrupt either unit?

It's too much, in part, because the Rangers have NO cap room next season. Strome will have to walk regardless of whether or not we bring in someone at the deadline (unless he takes a pay cut, which would be absurd as he's earned a raise). Chytil is our only cost-controlled center with top six upside. He's been blocked by Zib and Strome pretty much since he's been here. He's a player I 100% expect to break out once he starts getting regular playing time with top six players. So it baffles me that they would bring in ANOTHER player to block him (especially since we wouldn't be able to re-sign him after next year due to the cap crunch).

It's too much because Schneider is a key building block on the right side of our defense, and the player that will let us move on from Trouba at some point, freeing up that cap space.

It's too much because the Rangers aren't really a threat to win the Cup this season. Half the team isn't finished with puberty yet, and only a couple of guys have even experienced playoff hockey (and it was years ago for those guys).

It's too much because we don't need a #1 center. We have one. He's better than Miller. We don't even need a second line center in the short term. Strome is fine, and has great chemistry with Panarin. We need young, cost controlled centers. After Chytil, we literally don't have any in the system. So trading Chytil and our 1st to bring in a guy who won't make us any more likely to win the Cup this year or next is a waste of assets.

It's too much because the Rangers, as a franchise, put a priority on character. They took a loss on DeAngelo because of character. They walked away from Nik Zherdev because of character. They walked away from Avery because of character. And they already traded Miller once because of character. Miller then had issues in Tampa and in Vancouver.

You joke about how we think he's "their version of JTM." Look at the production rate for Miller's last two seasons with the Rangers. They are very close to what he's done with Vancouver. The difference is that Vancouver plays him 4+ more minutes per game. He wouldn't get those kinds of minutes on the Rangers. They aren't breaking up Zib/Kreider or Strome/Zibanejad, which leaves 3rd line use and 2nd unit power play time. Why pay top dollar for a player who won't get used enough to justify it?

And again, I go back to my Yandle parallel--both players the same age, in key positions, in that "very good but not elite" category of player. Yandle brought back a 1st, a 2nd, a former 3rd round pick who had just cracked the NHL roster, and a journeyman defenseman. Chytil and Schneider each have more value than any of those pieces. And Yandle didn't have a persistent reputation as a locker room cancer dragging him down.
This yandle comparison is not close, Miller is and has always been a much better player than in Yandle's time of trade.
JT Miller is a 3 position PPG player with elite faceoffs, and 1.5 year contract.

It's a terrible comparable, I dono why you keep bringing it up

dman34

May 6, 2011
Schneider wasn’t on the table for Eichel. What makes you think he would for Miller….? Not trying to be a dick. Serious question.

Eichel makes 10mm, miller makes half that and the Canucks could even retain making it even sweeter. For a capped out team like the Rags, that’s gold. maybe they do consider dangling Schneider.

Reactions: bh53

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Eichel is a bad comparable also.
Guy was coming off a Major surgery, And makes twice as much.

The Sweetness

Jul 15, 2010
Stockholm
Have they checked with JT Miller?

I think he had terrible time in NY, with NY giving up on him eventually. He did not play well, but that's besides the point. He may not be too happy going back, and would rather close that unpleasant chapter. His play could suffer as well. The fans would probably be quick to dig up that old hatchet if things do not start off well. Just seems like one of the worst destinations for him.
Why do you say this?

Players blossoming later in their career isn't unusual and players understand trades happen, especially in the salary cap era.

Baberham Lincoln

Nov 5, 2019
Toronto
It’s the Rangers calling asking for Miller, not the other way around so the asking price is set by the Canucks. If NY doesn’t like it the Canucks don’t have to trade him.

ETTER DE

Jun 24, 2017
Ryan McDonagh AND JT Miller returned a late first, a late 2nd (cond. 1st)) and Namestnikov pluss to prospects from Tampa. Neither of those was regarded as top three of Tampas prospects. McDonagh was at an even better contract than Miller is now (4,7 mill) with same term. Miller was RFA. And now some canucks fans want a similar return for Miller alone? Despite Covid and flat salary cap? Get real.

dellzor

Bo Horvat's Head
Nov 21, 2016
Vancouver, BC
Then trade him to someone who can re-sign him. Or ask yourself why you've been trying to trade him all season. The Rangers have the 3rd best PK in the league. They have the 10th best power play. Why would they disrupt either unit?

It's too much, in part, because the Rangers have NO cap room next season. Strome will have to walk regardless of whether or not we bring in someone at the deadline (unless he takes a pay cut, which would be absurd as he's earned a raise). Chytil is our only cost-controlled center with top six upside. He's been blocked by Zib and Strome pretty much since he's been here. He's a player I 100% expect to break out once he starts getting regular playing time with top six players. So it baffles me that they would bring in ANOTHER player to block him (especially since we wouldn't be able to re-sign him after next year due to the cap crunch).

It's too much because Schneider is a key building block on the right side of our defense, and the player that will let us move on from Trouba at some point, freeing up that cap space.

It's too much because the Rangers aren't really a threat to win the Cup this season. Half the team isn't finished with puberty yet, and only a couple of guys have even experienced playoff hockey (and it was years ago for those guys).

It's too much because we don't need a #1 center. We have one. He's better than Miller. We don't even need a second line center in the short term. Strome is fine, and has great chemistry with Panarin. We need young, cost controlled centers. After Chytil, we literally don't have any in the system. So trading Chytil and our 1st to bring in a guy who won't make us any more likely to win the Cup this year or next is a waste of assets.

It's too much because the Rangers, as a franchise, put a priority on character. They took a loss on DeAngelo because of character. They walked away from Nik Zherdev because of character. They walked away from Avery because of character. And they already traded Miller once because of character. Miller then had issues in Tampa and in Vancouver.

You joke about how we think he's "their version of JTM." Look at the production rate for Miller's last two seasons with the Rangers. They are very close to what he's done with Vancouver. The difference is that Vancouver plays him 4+ more minutes per game. He wouldn't get those kinds of minutes on the Rangers. They aren't breaking up Zib/Kreider or Strome/Zibanejad, which leaves 3rd line use and 2nd unit power play time. Why pay top dollar for a player who won't get used enough to justify it?

And again, I go back to my Yandle parallel--both players the same age, in key positions, in that "very good but not elite" category of player. Yandle brought back a 1st, a 2nd, a former 3rd round pick who had just cracked the NHL roster, and a jour
neyman defenseman. Chytil and Schneider each have more value than any of those pieces. And Yandle didn't have a persistent reputation as a locker room cancer dragging him down.
Rangers sit 3rd overall in the NHL halfway through the season, you guys have a Vezina candidate in Shesterkin. In the past 20 years, all Stanley Cup winners were teams that finished top 10 in the regular season besides the Kings that one year.

You talk about the production rate in his last 2 years with the Rangers

Last 2 seasons with the Rangers = 90 points in 145 games .62 p/g
Last 3 seasons with the Canucks = 156 points in 160 games 0.98 p/g

Not even remotely close with the production rates there "they are very close to what he's done with Vancouver".

There is no way you're comparing Yandle to Miller when Miller is easily miles ahead of Yandle as a player. You're telling me that Miller who's 16th in scoring in the last 3 seasons, plays all 3 positions, plays the PK isn't an elite player, lol.

savebyrichter94

Every Profound Spirit Needs A Mask
Sep 14, 2008
PA
Unless your team is trading a franchise player you shouldn't expect to restock your entire prospect pool in one trade lol

This delusion happens every trade deadline

Exactly this, I understand teams have needs but you can’t realistically expect to solve all your problems with one trade

ETTER DE

Jun 24, 2017
Points pr. game has been inflated the last couple of years beacause of the flat salary cap. Go back a few years there were only a handfull players over 1.00. This year there is over 50. A lot of teams are icing young defenders and forwards in the bottom six who would have played in the AHL a few years back. It is so much easier for the good players to score now.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Eichel is a bad comparable also.
Guy was coming off a Major surgery, And makes twice as much.

Eichel was also much more hyped, younger and signed longterm.

Eichel should have absolutely nothing to do with this for all those reasons

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
With such a young team in NYR I really don't understand making moves like this yet. Why not make the playoffs see what you've got and make these types of decisions next year or the one after? Until you're in the fight you don't really know what you're missing. Plus players like Kakko, Lafreniere, Miller, Chytil, Fox, Lindgren, Shesterkin, Schneider etc are all gonna get better. Make the move when these guys are really going.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Ryan McDonagh AND JT Miller returned a late first, a late 2nd (cond. 1st)) and Namestnikov pluss to prospects from Tampa. Neither of those was regarded as top three of Tampas prospects. McDonagh was at an even better contract than Miller is now (4,7 mill) with same term. Miller was RFA. And now some canucks fans want a similar return for Miller alone? Despite Covid and flat salary cap? Get real.
I mean that shouldn't be the standard it was an awful deal right from the get go. I was shocked to see a d man as good as McDonough traded for that let alone with Miller.

Reactions: Belisarius

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
Rangers don’t have any of those, unfortunately. I could see Lundkvist going to Vancouver but would probably need more than one-plus season of JT Miller. Unless Vancouver retains. That could be a deal. JTM @50% plus a 3rd for Lundkvist?

This may be the single worst trade proposal in the history of the world.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
Points pr. game has been inflated the last couple of years beacause of the flat salary cap. Go back a few years there were only a handfull players over 1.00. This year there is over 50. A lot of teams are icing young defenders and forwards in the bottom six who would have played in the AHL a few years back. It is so much easier for the good players to score now.

That's a hell of a take.

Where are the superior players, that can't play in the NHL because of the cap, hiding?

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Rangers don’t have any of those, unfortunately. I could see Lundkvist going to Vancouver but would probably need more than one-plus season of JT Miller. Unless Vancouver retains. That could be a deal. JTM @50% plus a 3rd for Lundkvist?
Sure if you add another high end prospect or a 1st

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Reluctantly I'd offer:

Chytil, Lundkvist and the Blues 2nd that can convert to a 1st if the Rangers make the Conference Finals.

Beyond that, I'd pass.

Good player, but NYR'S are not yet where they need to be to look to go all in.

Personally, I'd rather look to add either Pavelski or Reilly Smith for this seasons stretch run and POs

Reactions: deathb4disco

LionsHeart

Mar 25, 2009
Queens, NY
I still hate the fact we traded him in the first place. If they make this move they’re absolutely going for it. He fits a lot of their needs, and they have the pieces to get the deal done.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Question for Van fans. I don't get to watch VAN much these days. Where does Miller play on the PP? It seems like it's the PP where he is really excelling. Does he play a 1/2 wall spot? High slot? down low (Net front/behind the net)?

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
Rangers aren't trading for a 1c. They're trading for a 2C or a 1RW.

If Rangers want to make a splash and only give up 1 main piece it'll most likely be Kakko. I don't see a bright future here and he'll be another teams problem. If Rangers want to give up a package it'll be a 1st, a prospect and player. But it won't be Schneider. It'll be Jones, Lunkvist or Roberston. Maybe Chytil or Kravtsov. Othmann has summer plans with us so he won't be included. Maybe Cuylle but I don't it. He's been real impressive. We aren't asking for 50% off.
If they weren't eager to trade Kakko for a 23-24 year old Eichel locked up long-term, they certainly aren't going to do it for 1.5 years of JT Miller.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad