GDT: SENS @ Habs, Wednesday night 7:00 pm on TSN5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
Impressive
-Joseph - Statement game.
-Greig - He's ready to contribute.
-Sokolov - As someone else said, he faded, but he's showing good things. Last year, he never looked comfortable, like he wasn't sure what his game was supposed to be at the NHL level. He seems to be figuring out what he can do and needs to do to provide value.

Notable
-Smejkal - He can play if there's a spot for him. I'd put him ahead of Kelly for 4LW.
-Toure - He sure is big and rangy! He'll be fun to track.
-Brannstrom - I like Brannstrom. I'm pro keeping Brannstrom. But he had a chance tonight to really lay claim to that 3LHD slot, and he didn't do that.

Disappointments
-JBD - He's having a rough preseason, and is trending into "just doesn't have it" territory for me. I'm expecting him to be sent down and to clear waivers.
-Bailey - I think it would be a mistake to give him a contract. I still expect him to get one, though.
-Hamonic - Boy did he struggle against speed off the rush. Hopefully it's a veteran player just getting going, and not a veteran player who's lost half a step.
-Kelly - For a bubble guy, or someone who should be a bubble guy, he's been surprisingly quiet.
-Pierre Dorion - Pickle-maker.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
He had over 9 mins on the PP.... not sure his icetime is much of an indication of trust

It’s true that is a significant slice.

He also led the team in EV TOI and SH TOI.

Playing that much more than anyone else is a sign DJ trusts him IMO. Maybe I should qualify it with « more than the other options on hand »?

Reactions: Cosmix and DrEasy

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Easy to identify the really bad players tonight. Sebrango, Toure, Chartier, and Imama were all way out of their depth. Cole Reinhardt was close to that level as well. Rough night for Hamonic too, but I guess that doesn't really matter.

Smejkal is a weird one to get a handle on. He doesn't look comfortable handling the puck and fans on it an absurd amount, yet somehow he's picked up a few points. He skates like an enforcer from the early 90's and it looks as though he has little defensive utility. Pretty decent along the walls. Once the regular season kicks off there won't be a PP slot for him so I'm not sure where you'd use him, really.

Don't see it for Sokolov. He's in the best shape of his life and he's just not having any meaningful impact on the games. He's basically Smejkal but not quite as refined. Just doesn't have a niche.

I don't think many guys helped their causes tonight. Maybe just Joseph and Heatherington.

One thing people should start thinking about when it comes to roster construction: who's going to kill penalties for the team? From last year they've already lost Watson, Gambrell and Motte who were 1, 3, and 5 in forward PK TOI. Mathieu Joseph might be going out the door to open cap space, and he's your #2 in TOI and probably your best. Parker Kelly is struggling and might not break camp with the team, so there's a pretty realistic scenario where you've lost pretty much your entire PK unit from last season. Who backfills those minutes? They aren't going to go to Tkachuk, Batherson, Tarasenko, Kubalik, or MacEwen. Whoever gets that 4th line LW spot will have to be someone they trust killing penalties.
I agree with the bulk of this. Sokolov is going to the A for sure imo. The PK is a big reason I think Kelly does stick, struggling or not. He has an upper hand in familiarity for a unit facing a lot of turnover, like you say. They liked him enough to make it "his spot to lose" last year.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
I agree with others, JBD was unimpressive.

For a guy trying to land a spot you'd think he'd try to stand out in a good way.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
It’s true that is a significant slice.

He also led the team in EV TOI and SH TOI.

Playing that much more than anyone else is a sign DJ trusts him IMO. Maybe I should qualify it with « more than the other options on hand »?
Too bad he struggled so much. He's the guy to trade.

Really didn't think JBD was as bad as everyone is saying.

Reactions: GCK

Sens Vader

Jan 23, 2016
Eye test hasn't matched. That's why you can't only relly on Analytics. He had some poor decisions that worked out for him. He's in position finishes his checks good call up 4th line tweener so far.
Matches to me.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Too bad he struggled so much. He's the guy to trade

Yeah I don’t think he was great. Just the best option we have for the third pair by default.

TBH I’ve been somewhat disappointed with all the 5-7 D options except maybe Matinpalo (who is more of a pleasant surprise being further along than I thought he would be than a guy I want to see on the team).

I’m surprised you thought JBD looked good.

Seemed to make a lot of decisions leading to odd man rushes for his partner.

It would have been really nice to have Brannstrom, Kleven, Thomson, JBD and Hamonic all knocking the door down. So far it seems like more of a lesser of all evils competition than an iron sharpening iron competition.

I think we end up with 26-23 as the third pair and they likely look better when properly slotted in that spot.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Matches to me.
What has he done? He fanned on his pass on the goal. He's been solid but he hasn't stood out. No strips, no big hits, hasn't created any chances on his own. He isn't driving the play. He's been solid but he hasn't been special like the analytics suggest.

I'm not against him I just haven't seen a player that has stood out to the point I'm willing to anoint him a spot.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
I agree with the bulk of this. Sokolov is going to the A for sure imo. The PK is a big reason I think Kelly does stick, struggling or not. He has an upper hand in familiarity for a unit facing a lot of turnover, like you say. They liked him enough to make it "his spot to lose" last year.
They have a lot less room for deadweight this year given their cap situation. In an ideal world MacEwen is your 13th forward and comes in as needed, but in all likelihood they're not going to have cap room for any spares to start this season. So he's playing every night but not giving you any special teams contributions. That's not good.

Kelly is in a somewhat similar situation. He just doesn't offer enough. One of these two probably has to go and I would guess it's him.

I think the plan is probably to replace Kelly with Bailey who can take his PK minutes but also fill in on the PP or move up a line if needed.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Solid game by the hopefuls. Joseph looked great, his speed was deadly, especially on the PK. Reinhart is good, I think I like him over Soks to be honest.

A bit telling that Bran wasn’t on the 4 on 3, I don’t think they see him as an offensive threat at all.

Loved how Grieg had no problems running their goalie after Korpi was run. Someone has to do it to get the ball rolling and the guys engaged.

We shouldn’t be rushing to trade anyone, and I’m glad we aren’t. I am liking more of our D depth right now to fill in the bottom pairing, while Joseph’s speed is too good to give up in my opinion.

Reactions: Cosmix and DrEasy

Puikiou

Oct 15, 2013
2023-2024 preseason game 3 vs Leafs (September 27, 2023). From best to worst:

1. Joseph: Two games so far this preseason and two games where he was clearly the best Sens forward on the ice. There’s no trading him. Move along.

2. Kubalik: His shot is a weapon, his passing is adequate and he’s engaged all over the ice. A Joseph - Pinto - Kubalik 3rd line has the potential to be a real problem for opposing teams and provides the Sens with three legitimate options to move up the lineup, should a top-6 forward go down.

3. Smejkal: He might have made the team tonight by standing out among a bunch of fringe NHL players. He’s not perfect. Among other nitpicks, his hands and timing need work. But the good certainly outweighs the bad. There’s no competition when compared to some of the other bottom 6 options. He’s smart, very big and decently fast. His professional experience shines through on the ice and there’s clearly untapped potential here.

4. Sokolov: Not as impressive this time around as in the first game, but he was still comfortably better than most of his competition. Although his effort and performance weren’t consistent wire-to-wire tonight, there were lots of great plays and flashes of brilliance. He’ll never be the fastest player on the ice, but he (again) managed to be quite noticeable on the backcheck. The setup to Greig in the slot that was saved by Montembeault is a play maybe three players on tonight’s roster can make.

5. Kastelic: Without the insulation of better centers slotting ahead of him, he looked quite pedestrian. Not bad, just unspectacular. Thankfully, he won’t be asked to be more than a 4th line center anytime soon and that’s a role he can absolutely dazzle in.

6. Bailey: Noticeable for plenty of good reasons tonight. His poise was evident, his PK positioning was good and his vision on the PP was excellent. On the flipside, there is zero speed or physical edge here. With no prospect really grabbing a spot with certainty so far, one has to start coming around the idea of a league minimum deal as the 13th forward.

7. Greig: Still waiting for him to impose his will and seize the 3C opening… Yet it’s not happening. He came alive in the 3rd period, but like many others tonight, it just wasn’t enough. At the moment, Belleville looks far more likely than Ottawa.

8. MacEwan: There’s something about him. You just know and see that he can play, on top of being a physical presence. Slightly concerned about the dumb penalties and dangerous plays nonetheless. Guess that comes with the territory.

9. Reinhart: If he had just a bit of skill, he’d be a fantastic bottom 6 player, given his size, speed and drive.

10. Kelly: I like him, but time has to be up here. Smejkal has shown more in two preseason games than he has in 97 NHL games. It’s starting to feel like being good on the PK is not enough.

11. Chartier: Good hustle in the 1st period when the Sens were thoroughly outplayed, then he completely faded. There’s absolutely zero NHL upside here.

12. Imama: Awesome in game one, terrible in this one.

DEFENSE

1. Brännström: He was barely decent. Not good and certainly not great. Yet, he was still (unsurprisingly) the best Sens defenseman on the ice. Especially brutal on the PP, but otherwise palatable. If only he was 6’2’’, 195lbs with that skating…

2. Touré: Nice long-term RhD project. That size and skating combo can’t be taught.

3. Sebrango: He didn’t play much, which probably helped his cause.

4. Hamonic: He made Mantipalo look good without the latter even touching the ice tonight. From the very limited viewing so far, Mantipalo is in a completely different league. Hopefully, this was just a vet not giving a damn about a preseason game and not a vet falling off a cliff. If it happens to be the latter, one would think the organization won’t take half a season to make adjustments like it was the case with Zub vs Coburn, Gudbranson, Zaitsev, Reilly, Wolanin and Mete in 2020-2021.

5. JBD: Time to hit the waiver wire or the trade block. Good luck to him if he’s picked. Fingers crossed he can progress into a decent, steady #6-7 if he goes back to Belleville. He simply should not be penciled into anyone’s top 7 heading into the season. He has looked heavy (in a bad way), slow and at times barely capable of a tape-to-tape pass in both games. All he does out there is react, but his decision time is nowhere near NHL-level. Not good. Yes, he improved as the game progressed, but it still wasn’t nearly enough. His shot is his best asset at this point, with everything else being subpar. Not a good thing, for a supposed defensive defenseman. He has plateaued at best or is a bust at worst.

6. Heatherington: The only slower defenseman than JBD on the ice tonight. Time for some cuts.

Korpisalo: Same as the day he was signed. That HALF A DECADE contract for a guy that has never been a proven starter and never played more than 40 games in a season is going to be a major problem. He has his moments of brilliance, but is he a goaltender a team with cup aspirations should count on for stability and steady performances? No.

1) Hope Norris is 100% ready by the time the regular season begins.

2) Why are fans treated to an assorted collection of plugs when they have yet to see Tarun Fizer, the clear standout in rookie camp, hit the ice?

3) Are we just supposed to pretend Tyler Boucher doesn’t exist anymore? What was it? “Not an injury” and “a minor tweak”?

4) Pinto needs to be signed as soon as possible. Trade Brännström if you must. He has positive value and absolutely no future with the organization. There’s a clear top 9 up front and very little (proven) offensive depth beyond it, while Mantipalo, Thomson and Guenette have shown they could play Brännström’s bottom pair minutes so far.

Thank you for reading, this has been your TED talk.

Last edited:

Sens Vader

Jan 23, 2016
What has he done? He fanned on his pass on the goal. He's been solid but he hasn't stood out. No strips, no big hits, hasn't created any chances on his own. He isn't driving the play. He's been solid but he hasn't been special like the analytics suggest.

I'm not against him I just haven't seen a player that has stood out to the point I'm willing to anoint him a spot.

Analytics don’t say if you are special or not, they say if you are having a more positive Impact on the game for your team.

He wins board battles, good at moving the puck along the wall, strong on his skates, takes the puck to the net, has good natural zone positioning, makes safe plays.

He looks like an excellent 4th line LW. Eye test perfectly matches the numbers, being solid is all we need

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville

1. Joseph: Two games so far this preseason and two games where he was clearly the best Sens forward on the ice. There’s no trading him. Move along.

2. Kubalik: His shot is a weapon, his passing is adequate and he’s engaged all over the ice. A Joseph - Pinto - Kubalik 3rd line has the potential to be a real problem for opposing teams and provides the Sens with three legitimate options to move up the lineup, should a top-6 forward go down.

3. Smejkal: He might have made the team tonight by standing out among a bunch of fringe NHL players. He’s not perfect. Among other nitpicks, his hands and timing need some work. But the good certainly outweighs the bad. There’s especially no competition when compared to some of the other bottom 6 options. He’s smart, very big and decently fast. His professional experience shines through on the ice and there’s certainly untapped potential here.

4. Sokolov: Not as impressive this time around as in the first game, but he was also still comfortably better than most of his competition. Although his effort and performance weren’t consistent from wire-to-wire tonight, there were still lots of great plays and flashes of brilliance. He’ll never be the fastest player on the ice, but he (again) managed to be very noticeable on the backcheck. The setup to Greig in the slot that was saved by Montembeault is a play maybe three players on tonight’s roster can make.

5. Kastelic: Without the insulation of better centers slotting in ahead of him, he looked quite pedestrian. Not bad, just unspectacular. Thankfully, he won’t be asked to be more than a 4th line center anytime soon and that’s a role he can absolutely dazzle in.

6. Bailey: Noticeable for plenty of good reasons tonight. His poise was evident, his PK positioning was good and his vision on the PP was excellent. On the flipside, there is zero speed or physical edge here. That being said, with no prospect really grabbing a spot with certainty so far, one has to start coming around the idea of a league minimum deal as the 13th forward.

7. Greig: Still waiting for him to impose his will and seize the 3C opening… Yet it’s not happening. He came alive in the 3rd period, but like many others tonight, it just wasn’t enough. At the moment, Belleville is looking far more likely than Ottawa.

8. MacEwan: There’s something about him. You just know and see that he can play, on top of being a physical presence. Slightly concerned about the dumb penalties and dangerous plays nonetheless. Guess that comes with the territory.

9. Reinhart: If he had just a bit of skill, he’d be a fantastic bottom 6 player, given his size, speed and drive.

10. Kelly: I like him, but time has to be up here. Smejkal has shown more in two preseason games than he has in 97 NHL games. It’s clearly starting to feel like being good on the PK is not enough.

11. Chartier: Good hustle in a 1st period when the Sens were thoroughly outplayed, then he completely faded. There’s absolutely zero NHL upside here.

DEFENSE

1. Brännström: He was barely decent. Not good and certainly not great. Yet, he was still (unsurprisingly) the best Sens defenseman on the ice tonight. Especially brutal on the PP, but otherwise palatable. If only he was 6’2’’, 195lbs with that skating…

2. Touré: Nice long-term RhD project. That size and skating combo can’t be taught.

4. Hamonic: He made Mantipalo look good without the latter even touching the ice tonight. From the very limited viewing so far, Mantipalo is in a completely different league. Hopefully, this was just a vet not giving a damn about a preseason game and not a vet falling off a cliff. If it’= happens to be the latter, one would think the organization won’t take half a season to make adjustments like it was the case with Zub vs Coburn, Gudbranson, Zaitsev, Reilly, Wolanin and Mete in 2020-2021.

5. JBD: Time to hit the waiver wire or the trade block. Good luck to him if he’s picked. Fingers crossed he can progress into a decent, steady #6-7 if he goes back to Belleville. He simply should not be penciled into anyone’s top 7 heading into the season. He has looked heavy (in a bad way), slow and at times barely capable of a tape-to-tape pass in both games. All he does out there is react, but his decision time is nowhere near NHL-level. Just not good. Yes, he improved as the game progressed, but it still wasn’t nearly enough. His shot is his best asset at this point, with everything else being subpar. Not a good thing for a supposed defensive defenseman. He has plateaued at best or is a bust at worst.

6. Heatherington: The only slower defenseman than JBD on the ice tonight. Time for some cuts.

Korpisalo: Same as the day he was signed. That HALF A DECADE contract for a guy that has never been a proven starter and never played more than 40 games in a season is going to be a major problem. He has his moments of brilliance, but is he a goaltender a team with cup aspirations should count on for stability and steady performances? No.

2) Why are fans treated to an assorted collection of plugs when they have yet to see Tarun Fizer, the clear standout in rookie camp, hit the ice?

3) Are we just supposed to pretend Tyler Boucher doesn’t exist anymore? What was it? “Not an injury” and “a minor tweak”?

4) Pinto needs to be signed as soon as possible. Trade Brännström if you must. He has positive value and absolutely no future with the organization. There’s a clear top 9 up front and very little (proven) offensive depth beyond it, while Mantipalo, Thomson and Guenette have shown they could play Brännström’s bottom pair minutes so far.

I don't agree with all of it, but I like your TED talks.

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
For anyone jumping to conclusions on Brannstrom it is worth mentioning that he has never been one to hit the ground running. Every time we have asked something of him it has taken time for him to get comfortable and up to speed. Every call up, every start of the season.

I expect the same this year, albeit less as he is now fully acclimated to the NHL. But let's not forget that was his first pre season game. He'll be fine.

Reactions: boxbox

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Impressive
-Joseph - Statement game.
-Greig - He's ready to contribute.
-Sokolov - As someone else said, he faded, but he's showing good things. Last year, he never looked comfortable, like he wasn't sure what his game was supposed to be at the NHL level. He seems to be figuring out what he can do and needs to do to provide value.

Notable
-Smejkal - He can play if there's a spot for him. I'd put him ahead of Kelly for 4LW.
-Toure - He sure is big and rangy! He'll be fun to track.
-Brannstrom - I like Brannstrom. I'm pro keeping Brannstrom. But he had a chance tonight to really lay claim to that 3LHD slot, and he didn't do that.

Disappointments
-JBD - He's having a rough preseason, and is trending into "just doesn't have it" territory for me. I'm expecting him to be sent down and to clear waivers.
-Bailey - I think it would be a mistake to give him a contract. I still expect him to get one, though.
-Hamonic - Boy did he struggle against speed off the rush. Hopefully it's a veteran player just getting going, and not a veteran player who's lost half a step.
-Kelly - For a bubble guy, or someone who should be a bubble guy, he's been surprisingly quiet.
-Pierre Dorion - Pickle-maker.
Branny did that last year lol

Reactions: Bileur

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Ummmm, thanks coach.

Or it could be coach that in both goals the forwards weren't forcing dump ins and losing possession, but actually made passes and brought the puck through the neutral zone with speed and actually attacked, but yeah "he's playing hockey".

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009

3. Smejkal: He might have made the team tonight by standing out among a bunch of fringe NHL players. He’s not perfect. Among other nitpicks, his hands and timing need some work. But the good certainly outweighs the bad. There’s especially no competition when compared to some of the other bottom 6 options. He’s smart, very big and decently fast. His professional experience shines through on the ice and there’s certainly untapped potential here.

4. Sokolov: Not as impressive this time around as in the first game, but he was also still comfortably better than most of his competition. Although his effort and performance weren’t consistent from wire-to-wire tonight, there were still lots of great plays and flashes of brilliance. He’ll never be the fastest player on the ice, but he (again) managed to be very noticeable on the backcheck. The setup to Greig in the slot that was saved by Montembeault is a play maybe three players on tonight’s roster can make.

5. Kastelic: Without the insulation of better centers slotting in ahead of him, he looked quite pedestrian. Not bad, just unspectacular. Thankfully, he won’t be asked to be more than a 4th line center anytime soon and that’s a role he can absolutely dazzle in.

6. Bailey: Noticeable for plenty of good reasons tonight. His poise was evident, his PK positioning was good and his vision on the PP was excellent. On the flipside, there is zero speed or physical edge here. That being said, with no prospect really grabbing a spot with certainty so far, one has to start coming around the idea of a league minimum deal as the 13th forward.

7. Greig: Still waiting for him to impose his will and seize the 3C opening… Yet it’s not happening. He came alive in the 3rd period, but like many others tonight, it just wasn’t enough. At the moment, Belleville is looking far more likely than Ottawa.

10. Kelly: I like him, but time has to be up here. Smejkal has shown more in two preseason games than he has in 97 NHL games. It’s clearly starting to feel like being good on the PK is not enough.

11. Chartier: Good hustle in a 1st period when the Sens were thoroughly outplayed, then he completely faded. There’s absolutely zero NHL upside here.

DEFENSE

1. Brännström: He was barely decent. Not good and certainly not great. Yet, he was still (unsurprisingly) the best Sens defenseman on the ice tonight. Especially brutal on the PP, but otherwise palatable. If only he was 6’2’’, 195lbs with that skating…

4. Hamonic: He made Mantipalo look good without the latter even touching the ice tonight. From the very limited viewing so far, Mantipalo is in a completely different league. Hopefully, this was just a vet not giving a damn about a preseason game and not a vet falling off a cliff. If it’= happens to be the latter, one would think the organization won’t take half a season to make adjustments like it was the case with Zub vs Coburn, Gudbranson, Zaitsev, Reilly, Wolanin and Mete in 2020-2021.

5. JBD: Time to hit the waiver wire or the trade block. Good luck to him if he’s picked. Fingers crossed he can progress into a decent, steady #6-7 if he goes back to Belleville. He simply should not be penciled into anyone’s top 7 heading into the season. He has looked heavy (in a bad way), slow and at times barely capable of a tape-to-tape pass in both games. All he does out there is react, but his decision time is nowhere near NHL-level. Just not good. Yes, he improved as the game progressed, but it still wasn’t nearly enough. His shot is his best asset at this point, with everything else being subpar. Not a good thing for a supposed defensive defenseman. He has plateaued at best or is a bust at worst.

Good post. Agree with pretty much all of it. Same page.

Reactions: Puikiou

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Smejkal is an analytics superstar so far

And matches the eye test.

He's played his way on to the roster.

Gotta think Bailey vs McEwan for 4th line RW. Bailey has history of NHL experience + can be good option on 4th line. McEwan is the one with actual NHL contract and younger/can play up to speed of rest of our roster.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Anyone asking about korpisalos legs?
It looked pretty bad. I’d feel better knowing it had no effect on his health.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad