GDT: SENS @ Habs, Wednesday night 7:00 pm on TSN5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
So you're suggesting Bailey move on to Carolina and be a solid 4th line player for them as they go deep in the playoffs?
Stepan was a healthy scratch (last year) at times for the Canes. You're reaching apn.

Edited.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bileur

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Was Chartier the dickhead who took that obvious penalty by holding some dude along the boards that led to one of the last 2 montreal goals?

Stepan has been a healthy scratch at times for the Canes. You're reaching apn.
I thought he retired?

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
JBD's problem is that he doesn't any specific skill that makes him useful. He's average to below average at everything. I'm not sure how he carves out an NHL role.

To play on a bottom-pairing, you have to do something. You have to have some sort of specialty. I'm not a fan of Brannstrom at $2M, but at least he's excellent at transitioning the puck. Kleven is going to have size and great range. Even Matinpalo, if nothing else, will take up space.

JBD doesn't really do anything. He's just there.

For a guy with JBD's physical profile and skillset, his "something" has to be an extremely reliable and consistent game.

A guy like Dylan Demelo has a similar profile to JBD - not that big, not that quick, not that skilled. He's carved out an impressive NHL career by being a reliable and decently versatile right-shot defensive partner. If there's hope for JBD, it's that he can become a Demelo-type. If it happens, it probably happens down the road in another organization.

Reactions: Cosmix

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
For a guy with JBD's physical profile and skillset, his "something" has to be an extremely reliable and consistent game.

A guy like Dylan Demelo has a similar profile to JBD - not that big, not that quick, not that skilled. He's carved out an impressive NHL career by being a reliable and decently versatile right-shot defensive partner. If there's hope for JBD, it's that he can become a Demelo-type. If it happens, it probably happens down the road in another organization.
DeMelo was 25 before starting to carve out a reputation as a reliable and decently versatile right-shot defensive partner. JBD just turned 23.

Right now, he's got to adjust to the higher level of competition, he has a little less time and space at this level, and just needs to make the decision to move the puck, or punt a little quicker. it will come with time.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
JBD sucks, we are looking for things into his game that doesn’t exist at the NHL level. Quite unfortunate that both the 1st (JBD) and the 2nd pick (Tychonic) turned out to be busts.
What does him being a lesser-than-we'd-hoped prospect have to do with the fact that 5 guys can easily share the blame on that goal?

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Too many of these from this dude, doesn't look like an NHLer at all.

So what do you want him to do there.

Option 1 - Short backhand pass between 2 Habs in the middle of the ice

Option 2 - backhanded and clear after he circles his net

Take a look at what his teammates gave him as outlets before judging too harshly.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
They have a lot less room for deadweight this year given their cap situation. In an ideal world MacEwen is your 13th forward and comes in as needed, but in all likelihood they're not going to have cap room for any spares to start this season. So he's playing every night but not giving you any special teams contributions. That's not good.

Kelly is in a somewhat similar situation. He just doesn't offer enough. One of these two probably has to go and I would guess it's him.

I think the plan is probably to replace Kelly with Bailey who can take his PK minutes but also fill in on the PP or move up a line if needed.
That's a reasonable argument. They may have given themselves no choice. I guess its just one of those things where I'll need to see it to believe the love affair with Kelly is over. I'm all for waiving Kelly and getting a more effective player there. I would support that being Bailey.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
So what do you want him to do there.

Option 1 - Short backhand pass between 2 Habs in the middle of the ice

Option 2 - backhanded and clear after he circles his net

Take a look at what his teammates gave him as outlets before judging too harshly.
Punt out of the zone was his best option once he got in trouble, but there wasn't a lot of support and it probably results in a similar counter attack if he can't get it past that defender by the boards.

With Sebrango having no stick, the forwards need to not play so aggressively imo.

Reactions: DrEasy and GCK

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Punt out of the zone was his best option once he got in trouble, but there wasn't a lot of support and it probably results in a similar counter attack if he can't get it past that defender by the boards.

With Sebrango having no stick, the forwards need to not play so aggressively imo.
The dump out of the zone is dangerous on your backhand while being pressured from behind. 1 of the 2 forward who blew the zone has to have better awareness of the situation. This was a huge issue the last couple years and yes, it’s a coaching issue.

Reactions: Cosmix

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
The dump out of the zone is dangerous on your backhand while being pressured from behind. 1 of the 2 forward who blew the zone has to have better awareness of the situation. This was a huge issue the last couple years and yes, it’s a coaching issue.
You're not wrong that it's a dangerous play, but I'm not sure it can be argued that it would be any less dangerous than what he actually did.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
You're not wrong that it's a dangerous play, but I'm not sure it can be argued that it would be any less dangerous than what he actually did.
He was put in a bad spot and got to a spot where he had support from Chartier but it went poorly. I will say again that another forward needed to be aware that 37 had no stick and JBD was circling the net on his backhand. At least JBD recognized that 37 had no stick and didn’t attempt the reverse.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Meh, I think it's a little more emblematic of issues with the 5 guys on the ice, as a whole. He's circling the net heading to his offside, which means the puck will be on his backhand to make plays.

#49 is just floating through the zone with no real urgency or plan to get anywhere. In fact, he's mostly skating directly at JBD and I'm not really sure why he thinks that would help.
#37, his D partner, has no stick so a reverse to him is not possible and he's out of the play completely.
#14 is subbing off very casually.
#51 is winding up for a skate through center ice not realizing the other D doesn't have a stick, which mostly means he should be playing back and not pressing ahead. When he does come back, he's not taking a position on the ice, he's just chasing one guy and then switches off him abruptly.

If JBD had been circling the net the other way and had the puck on his forehand, it would have been chipped out and they would have reset. The mistake of him not making a play on his backhand is amplified by the actions of the 5 man unit.
I don't know if he's an NHL player, but I agree with most of this. Too much is being made of that play.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
One could argue that we can expect imperfection from JBD .. and that its very early; in an exhibition game and he either can show he belongs or he can't .. No point dissecting everything now.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Yeah, I totally agree, I just think that was the least bad option given the forwards weren't helping out and the reverse wasn't a great option with Sebrango having no stick.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I don't know if he's an NHL player, but I agree with most of this. Too much is being made of that play.
The first impression for many people tends to be focused on the individual, and not the group effort, then once those reactions get repeated it takes hold and people won't look at the play holistically

JBD didn't do great, he has to do a better job fighting off the checking from Dach (who was providing excellent back pressure) but in the end, that whole situation is averted if the guys support each other better.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
The first impression for many people tends to be focused on the individual, and not the group effort, then once those reactions get repeated it takes hold and people won't look at the play holistically

JBD didn't do great, he has to do a better job fighting off the checking from Dach (who was providing excellent back pressure) but in the end, that whole situation is averted if the guys support each other better.
I agree. He got it all the way up the wall and was really only a tap away from escaping. The high winger there didn't exactly blow the doors off supporting him.

In the end, it's one play. I haven't watched enough to have an opinion on him, but I'm still not ready to give up hope he can meet the low bar of being a capable 5-6-7 guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad