GDT: SENS @ Habs, Wednesday night 7:00 pm on TSN5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
What does him being a lesser-than-we'd-hoped prospect have to do with the fact that 5 guys can easily share the blame on that goal?

Actually, my comment is more general wrt JBD as opposed to that specific play. Nothing shows me he has earned a full-time ticket for a roster expected to make it to the post-season.

The 6/7 D options are still a bit suspect, we have to pray Brannstrom continues to get better (can't trade him with our stinky depth) and Hammer doesn't regress to shore up the bottom pair. If one is injured, your options are JBD, Kleven, Thomson, Guenette, and none of them look ready. I liked one game of MatinPolo but it's one game and the guy lacks NHL experience much like the others he will compete with. Kleven is better served playing top pairing PRO minutes in Belleville.

Last edited:

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
So what do you want him to do there.

Option 1 - Short backhand pass between 2 Habs in the middle of the ice

Option 2 - backhanded and clear after he circles his net

Take a look at what his teammates gave him as outlets before judging too harshly.

Too slow to skate it out like he intended to, and too small to absorb the hit cleanly and clear the puck.

No NHL skillset, doesn't have the hands, the size or the skating. AHLer at best.

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
Joseph looked like Formenton last night. Fast, disruptive, even scored(!). If he plays like that all year I hope PD finds another solution. But I guess something has to give.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Too slow to skate it out like he intended to, and too small to absorb the hit cleanly and clear the puck.

No NHL skillset, doesn't have the hands, the size or the skating. AHLer at best.

He started to throw his weight around last year, and I had hoped it was the start of him adding a more physical element to his game now that he's a fully grown man. Because at this point that's probably the only way he can sell himself as a consistent NHLer.

Doesn't look like he's taken the next step in that regard and I don't think we can keep a roster spot warm for him in the hopes that he does.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Bernard-Docker is on that Brian Lee development curve. Drafted as a two-way/puck mover type but none of the skill translated to the pro level. Now he can feel his NHL dreams slipping away so he's trying to re-invent himself as a more physical, defensive player but it just doesn't come naturally for him, and isn't really that effective.

Many such cases.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I am hoping Jarventie really breaks out in the AHL this year. Big year for him to see if he's got it
I share that hope but I have little confidence that he will do so. He does not seem to have the energy or desire to play an aggressive style of game. Too passive.

Reactions: DrEasy

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
He did well getting the shot off; also being checked...
Its not easy to score on NHL goalies.
I always had trouble with any level of goalie! :)

I think slafkovsky is going to be like if we took Logan Brown 1st overall.
What?

I think slafkovsky is going to be like if we took Logan Brown 1st overall.
What?
I don’t think putting him at centre is doing him any favours.
Wrong ice surface too!

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Too many of these from this dude, doesn't look like an NHLer at all.

There is other blame to go around but JBD looked slow going around the net and with so much pressure on him he should have shoveled it out of the zone as soon as he fought off the 2nd last stick check by Dach.

Even after, look where JBD ends up when the puck is in the net...he cruises through the slot and doesn't pick up anyone.

It's only 1 play but JBD clearly takes the most blame there. I thought he skated himself into trouble a bunch of times last night. There was another play where he went behind the net and Korpi is yelling for him to, "wheel" but he is slow, eventually turns into the boards and loses the puck.

The team D was brutal all night. We turned the puck over after having time and space FAR too many times.

Reactions: Joeyjoejoe

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
So what do you want him to do there.

Option 1 - Short backhand pass between 2 Habs in the middle of the ice

Option 2 - backhanded and clear after he circles his net

Take a look at what his teammates gave him as outlets before judging too harshly.

i wonder if your take would have been different if Brannstrom made the exact same play

Last edited:

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
The dump out of the zone is dangerous on your backhand while being pressured from behind. 1 of the 2 forward who blew the zone has to have better awareness of the situation. This was a huge issue the last couple years and yes, it’s a coaching issue.
Yes there is a coaching issue, plus forwards are not reading and reacting to the play with JBD under pressure.

However, JBD had time to clear the puck out of the zone and failed, falling down and being slow to get up and back into the play. The Fs did not contribute much to help defend.

I am not a fan of JBD. I like Thomson better.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
They have two tiers that I assume is the issue there.

$20 for Sportsnet Now.

$30 for Sportsnet Now with out-of-region NHL games.
I'm thinking about buying sports channels this season so I was checking out the bell site today

Unless I misunderstood, the Sportsnet channels are 10 bucks a month and the tsn channels are also 10. So 20 a month should get all games.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I'm thinking about buying sports channels this season so I was checking out the bell site today

Unless I misunderstood, the Sportsnet channels are 10 bucks a month and the tsn channels are also 10. So 20 a month should get all games.
Are you adding packages to an existing cable subscription or getting the standalone streaming service? Sounds like the former, where as I the the OP was talking out getting the standalone streaming package.

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
Did you check TSN, they had the game.
Other question is are you in market or live out of market region.

I'm in market I just signed up quickly a few days before to watch the leaf games. Didn't pay attention to the "out of market" tier

Found it elsewhere. This is why people look for illegal methods. I know why the games are region locked but once those contracts are done they need to give better streaming options. I would pay per game but that's not an option

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

Are you adding packages to an existing cable subscription or getting the standalone streaming service? Sounds like the former, where as I the the OP was talking out getting the standalone streaming package.
Ya Mick is correct. I was referring to the standalone TSN GO and Sportsnet Now streaming services, not the channel packages through a cable or iptv provider.

TSN Go is $20/month and Sportsnet Now is $20/month ($30/month with the out of region hockey games included).

Pretty much all of the TV Providers give you a subscription to TSN GO and Sportsnet Now though if you get those channels with your Cable TV package, so that can be a better deal for some. My Cable TV package at $48 is too good to not keep it. The out of region hockey doesn't apply though, so I have to choose buying Center Ice with my Cable TV for $210/year or paying $30/month for the higher tier Sportsnet Now even though I get the base one already. Tough call.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
i wonder if your take would have been different if Brannstrom made the exact same play
Absolutely. It was a problem last year as well. You must have forgot how much I pumped Brannstrom’s tires last year. Unfortunately now he is a bottom pairing guy making 2M on a team that needs to shed salary. Great kid, I actually think he’s one of the more engaging players I met at the golf tournament, but the harsh reality is we can use his 2M to sign Pinto and it has almost zero effect on our cilurrent roster.

Yes there is a coaching issue, plus forwards are not reading and reacting to the play with JBD under pressure.

However, JBD had time to clear the puck out of the zone and failed, falling down and being slow to get up and back into the play. The Fs did not contribute much to help defend.

I am not a fan of JBD. I like Thomson better.
Tell me when he could safely clear on his backhand. The video clip is pretty clear that he was being harassed from behind.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

Lol. I’ll bet you are on the Brannstrom bandwagon.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
In reality, the SENS sent the Farm team to Montreal last night, while the Habs played some of their stars. Not exactly star NHL defensemen last night!
No, and by team D, I meant the entire team.

Farm hands or not, we didn't make a lot of simple plays. I'm not losing sleep over it, just recognizing a troubling pattern.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad