GDT: SENS @ Habs, Wednesday night 7:00 pm on TSN5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MoreGore

Jul 13, 2022
They are showcasing Joseph and he is showing well. I would not be surprised if Joseph doesn't get traded until the season has started and teams can see him play more. The status of Norris may be an issue here.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
They love having him around the team. He’s probably best served playing 30-55 games.
There are worse options to have as your 7th or 8th D to make sure guys like Kleven don't get bounced back and forth between the NHL and AHL every time there's an injury.

It's a bit like MacEwen, his contract is low enough that it really is inconsequential so long as he can act as a 13th forward and only come in when there's an injury. If he plays well enough to be in the top 12/6 that's just a bonus.

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
I legit like Reinhardt as a player. There would be room on my fourth line for a hard worker like that who shows moments of skill and doesn't shy away from contact.
Reinhardt has had a really good preseason and is a DJ type player. He's a good penalty killer to boot and yeah, he has flashes of skill beyond anyone that is competing for the 4th line other than Crookshank. He could definitely be the guy to get the nod.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
I doubt that was an option. He took a discount to be here but it cost an NMC and 2nd year.
Yep, definitely. Under normal circumstances, it wouldnt be an issue at all

Reinhardt has had a really good preseason and is a DJ type player. He's a good penalty killer to boot and yeah, he has flashes of skill beyond anyone that is competing for the 4th line other than Crookshank. He could definitely be the guy to get the nod.
I think we would have seen more of him but his 1st game ended so badly. They probably wanted to give him some distance from it before bringing him back in

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
6. Bailey: Noticeable for plenty of good reasons tonight. His poise was evident, his PK positioning was good and his vision on the PP was excellent. On the flipside, there is zero speed or physical edge here. With no prospect really grabbing a spot with certainty so far, one has to start coming around the idea of a league minimum deal as the 13th forward.

As the biggest Bailey fan I've been watching the GDTs in regards to Bailey to see how he's been doing for Ottawa and the sentiment the fans have is about on par with where Islanders fans were in the last year or two.

I love him and think he's gotten a lot of shit during his career that wasn't warranted. That said, at this point in his career this is what you'll get most nights. He was never a speedy player but he's definitely lost a step or two now and he doesn't throw any hits. He's not afraid to go into the corners or to the front of the net and take abuse but he's not going to be dishing out any punishment.

Most nights he'll be a neutral player who is uneventful, but still manages to chip in an assist every other game (I see he has two this pre-season already). There's no flashiness to his game but I think he makes smart decisions most of the time with the puck. Sometimes he makes plays that makes you scratch your head and wonder what the heck was going on. He can play all three forward positions if needed because of an injury during a game but you do not want him at center at this point. He just doesn't have the speed for that anymore. He's also versatile in his ability to play the PP or PK, but on the PP he'll be reluctant to shoot (to an absurd level) and will look to pass, even if there's a wide open net.

As a 13th forward you can do a lot worse but I do think father time and the increasing speed of today's NHL is closing the door to his career rather quickly. I think he'd still be on the Islanders if he didn't have a high salary and the team wasn't cap crunched.

Some people are concerned about his penalties in these pre-season games, don't read into it. Since 2016-17 he's had over 20 PIMs a single time. That just isn't a part of his game, so much so that Islanders fans would get upset at the lack of PIMs he'd end up with.

Last note, keep in mind I'm a fan of Bailey so anyone on the opposite side of the fence would likely have more harsh things to say. Hopefully that helps a little bit.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
That's not the way you treat a guy who's entering his 15th year as a pro and has almost 800GP under his belt. Especially not when you're an Ottawa in a league full of premium destinations.
You would just do it as a paper transaction, like Toronto did with Spezza, and make it clear that he won't play elsewhere. Wouldnt actually send him to Belleville or away from the team.

Tap on the Ankle

Jun 9, 2004
Ottawa
While I agree that JBD doesn't look like a roster guy I'd give credit to Dach for the pressure there, it was hardly a solo fumble. That stick tap after JBD went around the net was perfect.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
JBD doesn't have it, it's very obvious. Tweener type who won't have a long term NHL career.

Doesn't excel at anything, and is average or mediocre at everything.

Reactions: Cosmix

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
While I agree that JBD doesn't look like a roster guy I'd give credit to Dach for the pressure there, it was hardly a solo fumble. That stick tap after JBD went around the net was perfect.
Yeah, credit where it's due, Dach pressured really well. Not sure what Chartier was doing there though, he's either got to move that puck to a safe space so they can regroup or eat it until support can arrive,

Reactions: DrEasy

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Too many of these from this dude, doesn't look like an NHLer at all.

Meh, I think it's a little more emblematic of issues with the 5 guys on the ice, as a whole. He's circling the net heading to his offside, which means the puck will be on his backhand to make plays.

#49 is just floating through the zone with no real urgency or plan to get anywhere. In fact, he's mostly skating directly at JBD and I'm not really sure why he thinks that would help.
#37, his D partner, has no stick so a reverse to him is not possible and he's out of the play completely.
#14 is subbing off very casually.
#51 is winding up for a skate through center ice not realizing the other D doesn't have a stick, which mostly means he should be playing back and not pressing ahead. When he does come back, he's not taking a position on the ice, he's just chasing one guy and then switches off him abruptly.

If JBD had been circling the net the other way and had the puck on his forehand, it would have been chipped out and they would have reset. The mistake of him not making a play on his backhand is amplified by the actions of the 5 man unit.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Meh, I think it's a little more emblematic of issues with the 5 guys on the ice, as a whole. He's circling the net heading to his offside, which means the puck will be on his backhand to make plays.

#49 is just floating through the zone with no real urgency or plan to get anywhere. In fact, he's mostly skating directly at JBD and I'm not really sure why he thinks that would help.
#37, his D partner, has no stick so a reverse to him is not possible and he's out of the play completely.
#14 is subbing off very casually.
#51 is winding up for a skate through center ice not realizing the other D doesn't have a stick, which mostly means he should be playing back and not pressing ahead. When he does come back, he's not taking a position on the ice, he's just chasing one guy and then switches off him abruptly.

If JBD had been circling the net the other way and had the puck on his forehand, it would have been chipped out and they would have reset. The mistake of him not making a play on his backhand is amplified by the actions of the 5 man unit.

JBD sucks, we are looking for things into his game that doesn’t exist at the NHL level. Quite unfortunate that both the 1st (JBD) and the 2nd pick (Tychonic) turned out to be busts.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Yeah, credit where it's due, Dach pressured really well. Not sure what Chartier was doing there though, he's either got to move that puck to a safe space so they can regroup or eat it until support can arrive,
Ya, Chartier gets the other assist on that goal LOL.

Reactions: DrEasy

Ghost of Jody Hull

May 20, 2022
JBD's problem is that he doesn't any specific skill that makes him useful. He's average to below average at everything. I'm not sure how he carves out an NHL role.

To play on a bottom-pairing, you have to do something. You have to have some sort of specialty. I'm not a fan of Brannstrom at $2M, but at least he's excellent at transitioning the puck. Kleven is going to have size and great range. Even Matinpalo, if nothing else, will take up space.

JBD doesn't really do anything. He's just there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad