GDT: SENS @ Habs, Wednesday night 7:00 pm on TSN5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
I thought Korpisalo did alright tonight too. That last goal is one he can't give up, but outside of that I don't have many complaints. You have to keep in mind it's his first pre-season game, and unlike Forsberg and Sogaard, he doesn't have the benefit of being apart of the organization and playing in this system for a few years. Being able to predict and read the play is a big thing for goalies, and it's harder to do that when you're coming in to a new team and are still learning how the team defends. I expect him to improve as he gets more games in.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
I liked Sokolov’s game. Guy wins puck battles.

Greig looked rusty to me, but got better as the game went on.

Disappointed in JBD’s game. Don’t think he’s anything more than a 7th dman.

Ghost of Jody Hull

May 20, 2022
Bailey is done, and all the young guys have been much better. So I fully expect him on the third line for 82 games.

I think the idea was, "can we bring him in and could he reasonably replace Joseph on line 3?".

I think the answer is absolutely not.

If it's Brannstrom and Bailey vs Kleven and Joseph, I take the latter 10 times out of 10.

So you're suggesting Bailey move on to Carolina and be a solid 4th line player for them as they go deep in the playoffs?

Rod Brind'amour could probably find a use for and get something out of Josh Bailey. DJ Smith? Probably not.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
JBD does something that I have started to notice that gets him and his partners in a lot of trouble. When he gets the puck along the boards, and he has pressure on him, he always does this pull back where he could have moved the puck or skated himself out of trouble, even when he has a step up on the forecheck.

He always pulls back and then gets pinned against the boards by the forechecker, proceeding to losing the puck and getting stuck in the dzone for a while. Someone needs to tell him he has the lane if he either moves his feet or moves the puck quicker. I am not sure whether it's a conditioning thing or lack of awareness and hockey sense.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
It was a good showing given the talent we had on the ice.

My standouts:
Joseph
Kubalik
Smejkal
Greig

Not so good:
JBD
Bailey (I didn't see much of anything from this guy except an assist)
Kelly
Sokolov (he looked good in the first but then disappeared)
MacEwen (definitely a 13th forward, that will go in and out of the lineup)

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
I liked Sokolov’s game. Guy wins puck battles.

Greig looked rusty to me, but got better as the game went on.

Disappointed in JBD’s game. Don’t think he’s anything more than a 7th dman.
JBD was as good as any D out there tonight, maybe Heatherington did more with the time he had but I thought he was fine. If he can be a #7 who comes in and plays 30-50 unspectacular games, thats all we need
JBD does something that I have started to notice that gets him and his partners in a lot of trouble. When he gets the puck along the boards, and he has pressure on him, he always does this pull back where he could have moved the puck or skated himself out of trouble, even when he has a step up on the forecheck.

He always pulls back and then gets pinned against the boards by the forechecker, proceeding to losing the puck and getting stuck in the dzone for a while. Someone needs to tell him he has the lane if he either moves his feet or moves the puck quicker. I am not sure whether it's a conditioning thing or lack of awareness and hockey sense.
He doesn't like getting hit. Biggest issue in his game by far IMO, I've noticed him doing this a handful of times as well. If he just takes the hit and steps into the puck, those plays are easy clears.

Thought he was fine otherwise

Sens Vader

Jan 23, 2016
It's pretty crazy that if the sens could simply score on empty nets it would have been a blow out and the best players the team dressed was their bottom pair and 7th/8th best forward. While Montreal pretty much dressed all their best players.

Didn't think any of the D played well. Really tough game from Brannstrom and Hamonic.

Everyone hating on JBD and he was the teams best d man. Thought he played better than his first game. More mobility.

Korpisalo was awesome until the last goal that was ugly.

Why? They absolutely do not need to move both of them.

I think they need Joseph more tbh.

They need to move one of them, and I agree

StoicSensFan

ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
Feb 6, 2014
I thought Korpisalo did alright tonight too. That last goal is one he can't give up, but outside of that I don't have many complaints. You have to keep in mind it's his first pre-season game, and unlike Forsberg and Sogaard, he doesn't have the benefit of being apart of the organization and playing in this system for a few years. Being able to predict and read the play is a big thing for goalies, and it's harder to do that when you're coming in to a new team and are still learning how the team defends. I expect him to improve as he gets more games in.
Also getting torpedoed early in the game by Hammer couldn't have helped him get used to his teammates.

KingAlfie11

Nov 3, 2021
I agree Korpi was good for his first game, he made some good saves and yes I'm sure he would want a mulligan on that last goal. But I have full confidence in our goaltenders.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
It was a good showing given the talent we had on the ice.

My standouts:
Joseph
Kubalik
Smejkal
Greig

Not so good:
JBD
Bailey (I didn't see much of anything from this guy except an assist)
Kelly
Sokolov (he looked good in the first but then disappeared)
MacEwen (definitely a 13th forward, that will go in and out of the lineup)
His puck patience and no look pass to Joseph on the empty net was nice.

The bad Hamonic, Brannstrom, Sebrango, Chartier, Kelly.

Guys missing empty nets.

Smejkal was ok he fanned on his assists. Got lucky on a a really bad pass on an offensive rush that could have been a 2 on 1 the other way. I'd like to see more.

Grieg hasn't been great in my opinion. I wonder if he is going to be able to score on NHL goalies.

This team really can't afford to dump Brannstrom, Kubalik or Joseph. Sure is too bad Pierre made so many bad trades and they are paying 4 guys to not play for them.

I honestly don't understand signing Tarasenko before Pinto situation was resolved. Especially as he is playing out of position.

They need a new GM.

Sens in Process

Oct 1, 2012
JBD was alright, but hasn't really progressed. Possible waiver material?

Branny is the asset to be moved.

Kubalik is going to drive me crazy. Depending on the game, I will either love or hate him.. There will be no in-between.

Smejkal was a sneaky good signing. He is a NHL player.

Sokolov is close, but he may never bridge the gap.

When Joseph keeps moving his feet, he is really fun to watch. I i think he is a capable 3rd liner.

I liked Greig's game for the most part. He wasn't rewarded, but showed some flashes. He probably is not ready just yet.

Kelly is fringe at best.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
JBD was alright, but hasn't really progressed. Possible waiver material?

Branny is the asset to be moved.

Kubalik is going to drive me crazy. Depending on the game, I will either love or hate him.. There will be no in-between.

Smejkal was a sneaky good signing. He is a NHL player.

Sokolov is close, but he may never bridge the gap.

When Joseph keeps moving his feet, he is really fun to watch. I i think he is a capable 3rd liner.

I liked Greig's game for the most part. He wasn't rewarded, but showed some flashes. He probably is not ready just yet.

Kelly is fringe at best.
What did you think of MacEwen and Bailey

StoicSensFan

ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
Feb 6, 2014
I don't understand how Joseph can beat a goalie clean TWICE from 30ft out, but can't score on a wide open net 15ft away.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I hope they do well compared to where they are projected to finish.

Mid first round pick, draft a dub and repeat for continual mediocrity. That fanbase deserves it.
Yeah picking 8th to 14th would be unreal but thats not gonna happen. They are going to really have a hard time in this division. Also if the over under on caufield is 45 goals I am hammering the under. He's gonna have no protection, gonna get the other teams hardest matchups. He bailed hard on the puck when Grieg lined him up turned into a scoring chance.

I don't understand how Joseph can beat a goalie clean TWICE from 30ft out, but can't score on a wide open net 15ft away.
Puck was rolling but he's gotta put that in. Griegs was worse in my opinion.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Easy to identify the really bad players tonight. Sebrango, Toure, Chartier, and Imama were all way out of their depth. Cole Reinhardt was close to that level as well. Rough night for Hamonic too, but I guess that doesn't really matter.

Smejkal is a weird one to get a handle on. He doesn't look comfortable handling the puck and fans on it an absurd amount, yet somehow he's picked up a few points. He skates like an enforcer from the early 90's and it looks as though he has little defensive utility. Pretty decent along the walls. Once the regular season kicks off there won't be a PP slot for him so I'm not sure where you'd use him, really.

Don't see it for Sokolov. He's in the best shape of his life and he's just not having any meaningful impact on the games. He's basically Smejkal but not quite as refined. Just doesn't have a niche.

I don't think many guys helped their causes tonight. Maybe just Joseph and Heatherington.

One thing people should start thinking about when it comes to roster construction: who's going to kill penalties for the team? From last year they've already lost Watson, Gambrell and Motte who were 1, 3, and 5 in forward PK TOI. Mathieu Joseph might be going out the door to open cap space, and he's your #2 in TOI and probably your best. Parker Kelly is struggling and might not break camp with the team, so there's a pretty realistic scenario where you've lost pretty much your entire PK unit from last season. Who backfills those minutes? They aren't going to go to Tkachuk, Batherson, Tarasenko, Kubalik, or MacEwen. Whoever gets that 4th line LW spot will have to be someone they trust killing penalties.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Brannstrom played 30 minutes by the way... RDS kept commenting all game on good defensive plays he made. Playing with Hamonic will surely bring down his value though.

I liked :

Joseph
Greig
Smejkal
Kubalik
Brannstrom
JBD
Heaterington

That's about it seriously, it was a good part of our AHL team and all our support players. The whole Top-6 and Top-4 were not playing (don't tell Habs fans or they'll depress)

Sad for Bailey, he doesn't seem to have it anymore (3 years 1 way contract incoming!)

Congrats for the Habs winning their first preseason game in 4 years

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad