Value of: Scott Mayfield

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I think mayfield has a lot of value but I don’t think he would fetch multiple 1sts. He’s not a point producer. Just a big mean steady defenseman. His cap hit is a huge asset but it’s only 1 more year.

I think if the isles were set on moving Mayfield(Im not convinced they are) that Brannstrom + Grieg + 2nd would be enough to get it done.

Brannstrom isn’t has highly touted as he once was but still has some value and potential because of his age.

Greig is legit. I’d prefer to get a center prospect back but it’s hard to turn down Greig.

if I’m trading Mayfield this is an offer I’d accept as an isles fan. Think it’s very fair.

ironically both Brannstrom and Greig were drafted with NYI picks.

It wouldn't be to all teams, but for a team that's looking for 2 cup runs that are completely strapped for cash and need a solid top 4 defenseman? I don't think it's that crazy. That Ottawa package is basically the equivalent of 2 late 1sts, which is what Coleman brought back.

Reactions: SI90

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
It wouldn't be to all teams, but for a team that's looking for 2 cup runs that are completely strapped for cash and need a solid top 4 defenseman? I don't think it's that crazy. That Ottawa package is basically the equivalent of 2 late 1sts, which is what Coleman brought back.

fair enough. Mayfield would be really valuable to a team ready to win a cup. I think his lack of point production will hinder the return a bit. I’m of the same mind as you. I personally value guys who can play defense and do it well. Especially on diet cheap contracts. I just feel most in the league want a guy that can also play on the PP as well as the PK if they’re giving up that much.

The Ottawa package presented is really good but I don’t think the Sens are a team that is in a position to make that type of trade.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
fair enough. Mayfield would be really valuable to a team ready to win a cup. I think his lack of point production will hinder the return a bit. I’m of the same mind as you. I personally value guys who can play defense and do it well. Especially on diet cheap contracts. I just feel most in the league want a guy that can also play on the PP as well as the PK if they’re giving up that much.

The Ottawa package presented is really good but I don’t think the Sens are a team that is in a position to make that type of trade.

It really depends on team needs, if he's going to a contender it'll be someone who views him who can bolster their PK and eat up hard minutes, they don't need him to put up points. Tampa gave up a 1st and 3rd for a rental Savard (who is slightly worse than Mayfield IMO). It may not happen, but I can easily see a team like Vegas thinking Mayfield for 2 cup runs is worth the equivalent of 2 1sts.

Reactions: SI90

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Why is Dermott mentioned as a return? The Isles have zero use for him and have Robin Salo/Samuel Bolduc in the pipeline. At least offer the Isles an actual usable asset or two in these proposals.

Multiple Islanders fans mentioned the need for a LD, take a read through the thread. So people have responded to what other Islander fans are saying is a need.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Multiple Islanders fans mentioned the need for a LD, take a read through the thread. So people have responded to what other Islander fans are saying is a need.

The need is for a quality top-4 LHD, not a 3rd pair option that might develop into one like Dermott. Like I said earlier, the Isles have a very promising player in Robin Salo now and Samuel Bolduc developing. Throw in Aho and the Isles have no need for Dermott as they have internal options.

The Isles need a proven top-4 LHD to replace Greene next season. They have the cap space to sign a Hampus Lindholm type in the off-season. That's what they mean when they say they want a LHD, not Dermott who Leaf fans peddle to everyone and their grandma's.

Reactions: Ignite111

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
The need is for a quality top-4 LHD, not a 3rd pair option that might develop into one like Dermott. Like I said earlier, the Isles have a very promising player in Robin Salo now and Samuel Bolduc developing. Throw in Aho and the Isles have no need for Dermott as they have internal options.

The Isles need a proven top-4 LHD to replace Greene next season. They have the cap space to sign a Hampus Lindholm type in the off-season. That's what they mean when they say they want a LHD, not Dermott who Leaf fans peddle to everyone and their grandma's.

Go argue with other Islanders fans, for their lack of clarity. No team looking to add to their roster to compete, is going to give up a top-4 LHD in exchange.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Go argue with other Islanders fans, for their lack of clarity. No team looking to add to their roster to compete, is going to give up a top-4 LHD in exchange.

Where are the Isles fans thinking they're getting a top-4 LHD in exchange for Mayfield? There are none as they are not delusional enough to think that would happen. That's the stated need. Besides, Mayfield is seemingly unavailable and he won't be traded because some fans of other teams want him.

If he is traded, it won't be for an uneeded and unattractive package like Dermott and a 2nd, I mean Ryder, Halak, and a 2nd...

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Where are the Isles fans thinking they're getting a top-4 LHD in exchange for Mayfield? There are none as they are not delusional enough to think that would happen. That's the stated need. Besides, Mayfield is seemingly unavailable and he won't be traded because some fans of other teams want him.

If he is traded, it won't be for an uneeded and unattractive package like Dermott and a 2nd, I mean Ryder, Halak, and a 2nd...

If Maple Leafs want to trade for Islanders Scott Mayfield then have it

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
You’ve tried to reason with us about the use for your 7th defenseman which it won’t work. This is the Finger/Bracco/Kerfoot/Schmaltz/other leftover player fiasco all over again. Dermott doesn’t fit into the Islanders system being that they have multiple options that both shoot the same way/play a similar style. Adding in another 6/7 LHD is utterly pointless even with the addition of the overhyped prospect. If the Leafs really want Mayfield, they need to offer a fair package in return. If I’m Lou, I’m looking at either Holl in terms of active defensemen or a high level defensive prospect (Sandin/Liljegren) as the return, not the bottom of the bench leftover players.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
You’ve tried to reason with us about the use for your 7th defenseman which it won’t work. This is the Finger/Bracco/Kerfoot/Schmaltz/other leftover player fiasco all over again. Dermott doesn’t fit into the Islanders system being that they have multiple options that both shoot the same way/play a similar style. Adding in another 6/7 LHD is utterly pointless even with the addition of the overhyped prospect. If the Leafs really want Mayfield, they need to offer a fair package in return. If I’m Lou, I’m looking at either Holl in terms of active defensemen or a high level defensive prospect (Sandin/Liljegren) as the return, not the bottom of the bench leftover players.

That you would rather have Holl, over Dermott, speaks volumes of player knowledge. Fine, you can have Holl. Send in the papers.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
That you would rather have Holl, over Dermott, speaks volumes of player knowledge. Fine, you can have Holl. Send in the papers.
The point is that you’re offering us a return of a guy who the Islanders have absolutely no use for this year plus going forward just to dump him off the roster. If the Islanders were to take Holl, he’d be packaged with a 1st and defensive prospect in return instead of another undersized forward. Knowing how Lou is as a GM, he’d flip mayfield for Holl, Liljegren and a 1st; leaving Dubai scratching his head.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
The point is that you’re offering us a return of a guy who the Islanders have absolutely no use for this year plus going forward just to dump him off the roster. If the Islanders were to take Holl, he’d be packaged with a 1st and defensive prospect in return instead of another undersized forward. Knowing how Lou is as a GM, he’d flip mayfield for Holl, Liljegren and a 1st; leaving Dubai scratching his head.

Holl, Liljegren AND A 1st. Put down the Bong man... That's some funny stuff. You realize you are talking about Mayfield, right. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Reactions: OVO16

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Holl, Liljegren AND A 1st. Put down the Bong man... That's some funny stuff. You realize you are talking about Mayfield, right. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
Then make a logical offer that isn’t your defensive liability, an undersized prospect (who’s given way too much hype because of the organization he belongs to) and a late 2nd. You’re asking for a player who’s exactly what the Leafs are missing (with term) and refusing to offer anything more then leftovers and table scraps. Up the prospect, up the pick and then we’ll talk. I don’t really want the soft LHD or the RHD personally, rather have a forward.

Last edited:
Reactions: WangMustGo

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Then make a logical offer that isn’t your defensive liability, an undersized prospect (who’s given way too much hype because of the organization he belongs to) and a late 2nd. You’re asking for a player who’s exactly what the Leafs are missing (with term) and refusing to offer anything more then leftovers and table scraps. Up the prospect, up the puck and then we’ll talk. I don’t really want the soft LHD or the RHD personally, rather have a forward.

Have a great day. :sarcasm:

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Actually, as an Isles fan I would like the Isles to acquire Dermott. But for something around a player like Sebastian Aho. Not Mayfield. Leafs save 750k for a bottom pair player.

I’m sure Aho has some esoteric advanced stat that someone could rationalize as him having untapped potential.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Then make a logical offer that isn’t your defensive liability, an undersized prospect (who’s given way too much hype because of the organization he belongs to) and a late 2nd. You’re asking for a player who’s exactly what the Leafs are missing (with term) and refusing to offer anything more then leftovers and table scraps. Up the prospect, up the pick and then we’ll talk. I don’t really want the soft LHD or the RHD personally, rather have a forward.

Just FYI....

There is more to hockey than just stats, but....

Mayfield: 29yrs, 6'5" 220
Holl: 29yrs, 6'4" 210

Last 3yrs 82gm paces:

Mayfield (148gms): 19:47, 4gls, 18pts, 114ht, 152bk, 50.6xgf% (-0.6rel), 2.30xga/60 (+0.2rel), +3.1dzsdiff
Holl (147gms): 19:46, 2gls, 22pts, 122ht, 117bk, 53.2xgf% (-0.7rel), 2.31xga/60 (+0.2rel), +2.7dzsdiff

With Holl getting the tougher usage as he has played mostly on the top matchup pairing, while Mayfield has had secondary qoc behind the top matchup Pelech-Pulock pairing.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Just FYI....

There is more to hockey than just stats, but....

Mayfield: 29yrs, 6'5" 220
Holl: 29yrs, 6'4" 210

Last 3yrs 82gm paces:

Mayfield (148gms): 19:47, 4gls, 18pts, 114ht, 152bk, 50.6xgf% (-0.6rel), 2.30xga/60 (+0.2rel), +3.1dzsdiff
Holl (147gms): 19:46, 2gls, 22pts, 122ht, 117bk, 53.2xgf% (-0.7rel), 2.31xga/60 (+0.2rel), +2.7dzsdiff

With Holl getting the tougher usage as he has played mostly on the top matchup pairing, while Mayfield has had secondary qoc behind the top matchup Pelech-Pulock pairing.
Mayfield has played most of this season alongside Pelech, even when Pulock was available. Pulock was playing with Chara/Greene before he got hurt.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
The prior two it was Leddy/Toews to balance out the OFD/TWD with DFD combos as well as LH vs RH. This year Barry split them up because Chara isn’t as mobile as Pelech is. Greene went back to playing with Dobson since that combo worked. Pelech and Pulock being paired back up would still keep Mayfield in the middle pair with a mix of guys as his partner. Trading for Dermott wouldn’t work with how Trotz sets his matchups up as a coach. He’d be your extra guy/rotating the spot with Aho or Salo. He also prefers to have a LD-RD pairing based on call ups even.

M2Beezy

Love ya Grubster
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Islanders are having a down year and could move some players at the deadline. If Mayfield does become availible what would be his value ?
PoolMan, Pearson, Jasek, Costmar and 2024 3rd for Mayfield and 2022 2nd

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
PoolMan, Pearson, Jasek, Costmar and 2024 3rd for Mayfield and 2022 2nd
you can keep Pearson (plus his 3 years at $3.25m) and his lack of scoring. Poolman seems interesting but I have no idea with those prospects (or who they even are).

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Mayfield probably has one of the best contracts in the NHL and as such his value is even higher than the actual player he is especially being signed for another year as well. I don't see the Isles trading him, but he would fetch a very, very nice return if dealt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad