Value of: Scott Mayfield

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Chara is a Lefty but they sometimes wind up putting him on the off side. He’s barely chugging along and will probably get most of the remainder of the season in the press box once he gets his record.
A lefty shot yes, but has played a lot of his career on the right side, at least from what I recall. He had a rough start, but has been fine since then (since 12/1 his GA/60 is a paltry 1.34 and GF% at 63.16%, not to mention by far the best dman on the PK in terms of GA/60). Either way, regardless of opinion on Chara, the point remains that right side Dmen is not one of the areas the Isles should be focused on upgrading right now.

Last edited:

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
A lefty shot yes, but has played a lot of his career on the right side, at least from what I recall. He had a rough start, but has been fine since then. Either way, regardless of opinion on Chara, the point remains that right side Dmen is not one of the areas the Isles should be focused on upgrading right now.
This season they’ve had him on the Left even if his partner also shoots left but that is correct, RHD are not a need of this team currently.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
This season they’ve had him on the Left even if his partner also shoots left but that is correct, RHD are not a need of this team currently.
Right, that's why I clarified I was talking him as playing a lot there over his career, not this season. He can be included in the depth there because he is an option due to his experience playing it.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Isles pass. No need for an undersized LHD or another offensive defensive prospect that won’t help them in (atleast) 3 years with the way Lou brings them along. If he’s moved for a prospect, a forward would honestly be the ask.

The unfortunate thing is that the same forward prospects the Isles would want are the same ones Buffalo is high on, and the ones available from the Sabres either have too many question marks or would be of little interest. The only one that I can see being a potential steal is Ruotsalainen, as he gets completely misused up in Buffalo (used in a defensive position but should be a middle 6/PP2 guy) (or basically should be used like Olofsson offensively but is defensively better even though that’s not his game).

So I’ll counter with this:

To Isles: 2022 1st (Vegas or Florida, whichever is higher), Ruotsalainen, Bryson, 2023 4th*

To Sabres: Mayfield, Koivula, Varlamov*

The Isles get two middle tier guys who can play anywhere up and down the lineup for short spells, of which one is badly misused in Buffalo because John Hayden exists and has to clear waivers, unlike R2. They also get a prospect of some sort with the pick.

The Sabres get a veteran defensively responsible RHD to pair with Dahlin or Power. They also get another middle six option in Koivula to be misused in favour of players like Hayden, but not as skilled as the one they’re trading out, so it’s less frustrating for this particular fan.

The * is a handshake deal where the Isles keep Varlamov for their potential playoff push this season, but trade him this off-season to the Sabres for that return.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
The thing about all these Mayfield deals is not 'what is he worth?' but 'why would NYI trade him now?' NYI could trade him for futures in the offseason or next deadline. The only point in trading him now would be for scoring winger who would contribute next year. In July NYI/Mayfield can get a feel about extensions, and then NYI can have a much firmer grasp on their future plans at RD.

David Savard went for a 1st last year, and - frankly - Mayfield is pretty comparable + with a year on his deal. Other teams aren't prepared to pay what would make NYI move that at the deadline, and they really shouldn't be.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
The unfortunate thing is that the same forward prospects the Isles would want are the same ones Buffalo is high on, and the ones available from the Sabres either have too many question marks or would be of little interest. The only one that I can see being a potential steal is Ruotsalainen, as he gets completely misused up in Buffalo (used in a defensive position but should be a middle 6/PP2 guy) (or basically should be used like Olofsson offensively but is defensively better even though that’s not his game).

So I’ll counter with this:

To Isles: 2022 1st (Vegas or Florida, whichever is higher), Ruotsalainen, Bryson, 2023 4th*

To Sabres: Mayfield, Koivula, Varlamov*

The Isles get two middle tier guys who can play anywhere up and down the lineup for short spells, of which one is badly misused in Buffalo because John Hayden exists and has to clear waivers, unlike R2. They also get a prospect of some sort with the pick.

The Sabres get a veteran defensively responsible RHD to pair with Dahlin or Power. They also get another middle six option in Koivula to be misused in favour of players like Hayden, but not as skilled as the one they’re trading out, so it’s less frustrating for this particular fan
The * is a handshake deal where the Isles keep Varlamov for their potential playoff push this season, but trade him this off-season to the Sabres for that return.
The only real useful piece in the offer for Mayfield is the late first. The 2 undersized prospects really don’t tip the scale enough to move Varlamov as well. Both Bryson and the Finn basically give me Aho 2.0 and an NHL/AHL tweeter feel. Bryson isn’t what the Islanders need when it comes to asking for an OFD since he won’t crack the lineup next year even.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
The only real useful piece in the offer for Mayfield is the late first. The 2 undersized prospects really don’t tip the scale enough to move Varlamov as well. Both Bryson and the Finn basically give me Aho 2.0 and an NHL/AHL tweeter feel. Bryson isn’t what the Islanders need when it comes to asking for an OFD since he won’t crack the lineup next year even.

I mean, Dahlin is about the only OFD we have. The rest are just offensive :laugh: :(. And that would be a vastly different trade to acquire him.

And the Varlamov deal is done in the summer, even though the terms are agreed to. It’s basically the cap dump trade the Isles need to do, without looking at capfriendly to see who is UFA/RFA this off-season. They keep him until June.

As far as the two players, I don’t disagree with your take, nor do I agree with it. They’re no worse than players the Sabres have who will get signed this summer (Miller, Hagg, Eakin), but they’re better than AAAA guys. I think Bryson tops out as a 5/6 and is arguably the Sabres second best dman currently (not that that’s a high bar to clear, but the point still stands). As far as R2, the Sabres are using him badly when they do. They use him as a defensive checker with 0 PP time, when they should be using him with Cozens at even strength and in the Olofsson spot on PP2. But Buffalo gonna Buffalo.

I mean a deal could probably be worked around between Mayfield and Olofsson, but then the 1st rounder is probably off the table.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
I mean, Dahlin is about the only OFD we have. The rest are just offensive :laugh: :(. And that would be a vastly different trade to acquire him.

And the Varlamov deal is done in the summer, even though the terms are agreed to. It’s basically the cap dump trade the Isles need to do, without looking at capfriendly to see who is UFA/RFA this off-season. They keep him until June.

As far as the two players, I don’t disagree with your take, nor do I agree with it. They’re no worse than players the Sabres have who will get signed this summer (Miller, Hagg, Eakin), but they’re better than AAAA guys. I think Bryson tops out as a 5/6 and is arguably the Sabres second best dman currently (not that that’s a high bar to clear, but the point still stands). As far as R2, the Sabres are using him badly when they do. They use him as a defensive checker with 0 PP time, when they should be using him with Cozens at even strength and in the Olofsson spot on PP2. But Buffalo gonna Buffalo.

I mean a deal could probably be worked around between Mayfield and Olofsson, but then the 1st rounder is probably off the table.
I don’t even know if Lou would move Mayfield unless it was a noticeable overpayment. The first isn’t really the concern eventhough the Islanders prospect pool isn’t stocked with high end talent, it’s the replacement for Mayfield at a similar AAV (or something affordable even). They don’t have anyone in the system that can step in. Bolduc is having a rough year but could be a promising prospect and Salo is an LH offensive defenseman. Aho watches from the press box because he seems to always get caught out of position and isn’t strong or big enough to make up for it with his play. Bryson would just be the same and probably be a Bridgeport lifer. Every team has those types of prospects, Koivula being one. Guys that can produce easily in the AHL but don’t do anything real noticeable to stick in the NHL.

I just can’t see the Islanders and Buffalo making a deal that works. The Islanders aren’t rebuilding and Buffalo moved the one guy to Florida that would be an interesting conversation starter for a trade (Reinhart).

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
I don’t even know if Lou would move Mayfield unless it was a noticeable overpayment. The first isn’t really the concern eventhough the Islanders prospect pool isn’t stocked with high end talent, it’s the replacement for Mayfield at a similar AAV (or something affordable even). They don’t have anyone in the system that can step in. Bolduc is having a rough year but could be a promising prospect and Salo is an LH offensive defenseman. Aho watches from the press box because he seems to always get caught out of position and isn’t strong or big enough to make up for it with his play. Bryson would just be the same and probably be a Bridgeport lifer. Every team has those types of prospects, Koivula being one. Guys that can produce easily in the AHL but don’t do anything real noticeable to stick in the NHL.

I just can’t see the Islanders and Buffalo making a deal that works. The Islanders aren’t rebuilding and Buffalo moved the one guy to Florida that would be an interesting conversation starter for a trade (Reinhart).

Bryson is like watching Brodin. Or Slavin. Obviously he’s not on their level, but he’s one of those guys that will neither hurt or help you. You just don’t notice him, which is my highest praise I can give a dman. Although Mayfield is the same way. He just plays the right side, instead of the left side, where the Sabres are deepest. Someone of Bryson, Johnson and Samuelsson is moving to the right side eventually. Or being traded. Or being the depth D. But Bryson rarely gets caught out of position. You’ll rarely ever see him get criticized on our board. And we’re not nice on HFSabres :laugh:

As mentioned earlier, the Isles need a scoring winger. Quinn is obviously not available. Olofsson probably is, but he also might not be. I don’t care either way, because you gotta give to get. R2 is available, even though I personally like him better than Olofsson and think he’s badly misused by Buffalo. He’s basically the Sabres version of Wahlstrom, who last I knew was being misused by Trotz.

But yes, Mayfield’s contract makes him valuable as well. That’s a “by next TDL” problem with him. Because regardless he’s getting a raise from somebody.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Bryson is like watching Brodin. Or Slavin. Obviously he’s not on their level, but he’s one of those guys that will neither hurt or help you. You just don’t notice him, which is my highest praise I can give a dman. Although Mayfield is the same way. He just plays the right side, instead of the left side, where the Sabres are deepest. Someone of Bryson, Johnson and Samuelsson is moving to the right side eventually. Or being traded. Or being the depth D. But Bryson rarely gets caught out of position. You’ll rarely ever see him get criticized on our board. And we’re not nice on HFSabres :laugh:

As mentioned earlier, the Isles need a scoring winger. Quinn is obviously not available. Olofsson probably is, but he also might not be. I don’t care either way, because you gotta give to get. R2 is available, even though I personally like him better than Olofsson and think he’s badly misused by Buffalo. He’s basically the Sabres version of Wahlstrom, who last I knew was being misused by Trotz.

But yes, Mayfield’s contract makes him valuable as well. That’s a “by next TDL” problem with him. Because regardless he’s getting a raise from somebody.
Samuelsson available? He’s good buddies with Wahlstrom. They’d make perfect teammates.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Samuelsson available? He’s good buddies with Wahlstrom. They’d make perfect teammates.

Probably not. Despite the lack of NHL games played this season, the plan was always for him to be up near the end of the season. Injuries/Covid forced that to happen (same with Quinn, Peterka and Krebs getting NHL action).

Mayfield is what we (aka me) hope Kjell 2.0 turns in to. I have no problem trading him, but Mayfield isn’t the return for him. Moreso because of age. The return is more in the Dobson (which Buffalo adds to acquire) or Wilde area (aka young guy for young guy swap).

How about this? The Sabres get Mayfield and Wilde, the Isles get Samuelsson and Olofsson, and whatever team adds a 3rd to balance it out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad