Pre-Game Talk: 2024 Blues Training Camp Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I read a article about a survey a while back, and the biggest complaint by young people is that they wished all their streaming services were on something all together to make it easier and more convenient
hmm....
I think Google is trying to do exactly that. They are laying fiber down everywhere they can and they own Youtube. They recently poached NFL Sunday Ticket and Youtube TV is one of the prominent 'live TV' streaming services. You can currently subscribe to Max, Paramount+, Showtime, and Starz through your Youtube TV plan. I'd be shocked if they weren't trying to get deals with Netflix and all the other streamers who don't offer their own live TV service to create a one-stop 'bundle all your favorite streamers here' service.

As Dennis Duffy always says, technology is cyclical.

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
I think Google is trying to do exactly that. They are laying fiber down everywhere they can and they own Youtube. They recently poached NFL Sunday Ticket and Youtube TV is one of the prominent 'live TV' streaming services. You can currently subscribe to Max, Paramount+, Showtime, and Starz through your Youtube TV plan. I'd be shocked if they weren't trying to get deals with Netflix and all the other streamers who don't offer their own live TV service to create a one-stop 'bundle all your favorite streamers here' service.

As Dennis Duffy always says, technology is cyclical.
And Google is already under various investigations into antitrust issues just like Ma Bell back in the day

Reactions: Celtic Note

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
And Google is already under various investigations into antitrust issues just like Ma Bell back in the day
The Fairness Doctrine was abolished in the late 80s and at the same time Ma Bell went through a divestiture and now we have massive monopolies of media controlled by FIVE corporations.

Google is only doing what the gov wanted; controlling the narrative.

EDIT: I will add that any sort of talk about anti-trust suit is 100% lip service. And if it has any traction whatsoever, then it is directed at a very specific entity.

Last edited:

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
Having several options would be ideal but I know the networks don't like sharing. Feel like everything is going the way of streaming or on demand. I guess having MLS on AppleTv exclusively hurts MLS as casual fans can't watch without the subscription. But obviously cable is going the way of the dodo sooner or later. I miss the good old kplr channel 11 days.
I think it's a bit of a catch 22 for MLS. Their current fans will be happy because they get every game with no local blackouts on one subscription, but they'll struggle to attract new fans due to requiring an exclusive subscription.

I read a article about a survey a while back, and the biggest complaint by young people is that they wished all their streaming services were on something all together to make it easier and more convenient
hmm....
All these piece meal streaming services wanting money to release a couple movies or shows per year makes it an easy choice to sail the high seas to view it instead.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
The Fairness Doctrine was abolished in the late 80s and at the same time Ma Bell went through a divestiture and now we have massive monopolies of media controlled by FIVE corporations.

Google is only doing what the gov wanted; controlling the narrative.

EDIT: I will add that any sort of talk about anti-trust suit is 100% lip service. And if it has any traction whatsoever, then it is directed at a very specific entity.

Google's anti trust suit is with Android phones requiring Google to be installed as the main browser, you're correct it's not as broad as it should be. It's frankly insane that Google and Amazon are allowed to be as wide reaching as they are and it really shows how much power the FTC has ceded. Part of the problem is the lawmakers straight up do not understand technology or how these companies work but Amazon has been able to take a loss on prime for essentially a decade because the entire Internet runs on AWS.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Google's anti trust suit is with Android phones requiring Google to be installed as the main browser, you're correct it's not as broad as it should be. It's frankly insane that Google and Amazon are allowed to be as wide reaching as they are and it really shows how much power the FTC has ceded. Part of the problem is the lawmakers straight up do not understand technology or how these companies work but Amazon has been able to take a loss on prime for essentially a decade because the entire Internet runs on AWS.
This was allowed to happen. It started with the Bell divestiture and then the deregulation of how much radio bandwidth one entity can own.

And then it got worse and worse.

I could go on and on.

So, here we are. The mass narrative is controlled by the few. This is happening.

Reactions: Thallis

A Real Barn Burner

Apr 25, 2016

In regards to Google Fiber, their speeds may be among the best but at this time they are not really a top dog in the internet service provider market. They are just way off the subscriber numbers. It may have been their intent back in 2010 when they launched to become one. There was certainly fear in the industry that they would do just that as they expanded quickly. However, by 2016 they paused for five years not laying any Fiber until the end of 2022. 5G internet, and multiple rounds of 2009 stimulus money has connected much of America with high speed internet by now. The areas Google Fiber targeted in 2022 when they began expansion again were mainly areas they wouldn’t be in direct competition with cable companies and other high speed internet providers and hadn’t been targeted by rural stimulus speeding yet. The whole industry is waiting for the next round of government spending next year that will include BABA and BEAD funding adding spending in urban and suburban areas to increase affordability and competition. With more competition and choice it unlikely Google makes any big expansions like they did back in 2012. Most user don’t need the high speeds they are offering anyways a half a gig to a gig is plenty.

I agree Google may well may be trying to be the “One Stop” for streaming with YouTube TV. It’s between them Netflix and Disney/Hulu right now on who becomes the next SoundCloud/Apple Music/Spotify. Although I think it may take longer for that to play out since there isn’t the pressure of piracy and dropping revenues that made the RIAA and independent artist so quick to sign on to music streaming services and digital sales.

Right now though everyone (like paramount) who has any type of IP has sunk cost from setting up their own streaming services and no incentive to lease to one of the big three. They may lease one season of content to the big three hoping you get hooked and pay for their streaming service for the other season(s). This everyone with thier own streaming service will continue until a recession or something makes a massive correction/merger in the industry imho. The convergence users want probably will take awhile to happen and likely will result in even higher prices since less competition. Be careful what you wish for I guess.

I hope someone like Apple or Amazon grabs the NHL network like the deal for MLS. As I think it would be a mistake for the Blues ownership to invest in their own streaming platform for Blues games. The price would probably be prohibitive for most fans and the eventual collapse of the system would cause them to loose money they perhaps couldn’t afford. Stillman and company are not billionaires.

Hopefully something to bring Hockey under one roof happens soon at a reasonable price. I too miss the good ol' days of KPLR simplicity.

Last edited:

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
I think it's a bit of a catch 22 for MLS. Their current fans will be happy because they get every game with no local blackouts on one subscription, but they'll struggle to attract new fans due to requiring an exclusive subscription.

All these piece meal streaming services wanting money to release a couple movies or shows per year makes it an easy choice to sail the high seas to view it instead.

Yeah it's tough. With something like Apple TV, it would be great for existing NHL fans to be able to watch other team's games besides the home team but you'd attract fewer new fans. If on Netflix, they wouldn't have that problem since most people seem to have Netflix already. But there will always be some fans who don't do you'd need another option for them if you don't want to lose them.

I guess whatever happens it would need to be after the current national TV deals expire because they've already paid for exclusive rights but the NHL better be considering all options going forward. If cable wasn't so damn stubborn and greedy they would have already found a way to let viewers pay for the only the content they want rather than pay over a hundred bucks for dozens of channels they don't want. But now it's only a matter of time before they go the way of Blockbuster video.

I'm kind of lucky to live out of market and use NHL.tv but with local blackouts that doesn't do most NHL fans much good. What a cluster f

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006

The exclusive subscription is only ten bucks, but you are right that there won’t be many chance findings of the MLS. Then again, how many chance findings happen these days with all the streaming services or even on cable given all the channels?

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
Soo, this thread is really getting derailed. Anyone watching the game tonight? Any idea on lines yet?
We're the "away" team so I'd expect a healthy amount of minor Leaguer's.
We'll probably see Schenn-Dvorsky-Neighbours as the top line and either the Holloway-Faksa-Joseph or Texier-Dean-Toro line as the 2nd line(my bet would be on the Faksa-line just to give us Blues fans a little to be hyped about) and then straight minor leaguers for the bottom 2 units.

As for Defense, I'd wager we see Broberg-Faulk as the top pairing but those are the only regulars on the ice.
Probably Hofer and Zherenko splitting the net.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad