Confirmed with Link: Schmid and Holtz traded to VGK for Paul Cotter and 2025 3rd rounder

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
NJ lost on Holtz the minute they drafted him. Who cares about trading him now. I’m disappointed Schmid is going but NJ does have a goalie logjam now. Malek will likely join Daws and Poulter in the mix after next season. Brennan is also still marinating. Schmid for Cotter and a third doesn’t sound awful in a vacuum. But is Cotter actually a big dude? Seems more like a Lazar
Yeah this idea about a terrible value for a first rounder, eventually it becomes a sunk cost and you have to move on one way or another. Clearly they've wanted to move on for some time.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
This trade also makes us a better team and better position for the playoffs. Having one or both of Nico/hughes going down like what happened this season and Haula being our first line center is not GOOD

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
This feels like giving up on Holtz just to get rid of him. Not surprised after how Fitz dragged him when talking about him.
The entire organization dragged him. Swiss hockey dragged him, not picking him for the Worlds team over semipro level players. Everyone's dragged him according to this board. At some point people have to acknowledge he's the issue with his own career.

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
I think some of you forget we have a new coach with a new system

What might work for ruff might not work for Keefe

Reactions: beekay414

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Schmid has some talent but I think there's a pretty good chance we never would have seen him in a Devils jersey ever again. He almost certainly wasn't going to get NHL time this season with Markstrom/Allen and it seems like they have Daws ranked more highly.

Three goalies in Utica and more on the way. Someone had to go. Schmid for a 3rd next year, I'm okay with that.

As much as it sucks to see them punt on Holtz, the writing was on the wall. It's really frustrating and I was hoping they'd give him another opportunity, but it's hard to be optimistic about his future here. As difficult as it is to admit, guy who can take a regular shift in the bottom-6 is more valuable to us right now.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Holtz was not very good at anything but shooting and a touch of playmaking. He was a bad, tools-based pick. They admitted the wrong and dealt with it.

I don't expect him to prove NJ wrong in Vegas. Let's see if Cotter is a solid character guy, making less than Holtz no less.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad