Confirmed with Link: Schmid and Holtz traded to VGK for Paul Cotter and 2025 3rd rounder

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
I think everyone is going to be generally disappointed with all that Fitz does here.

We had last year to try skill and speed everywhere and it was clear that we need two way guys who have size, are athletic and can skate and be physical if we plan on winning anything.

Shipping Marino, Holtz and Scmid hurts bc of their high ceilings, which they will likely never reach, and we're trading for mid floors. Fitz is going to build a team of Evan Rodriguezes and that might actually be a better path to victory with our core, considering Florida and the Rags seasons, and more specifically Edmonton's run.

I think Fitz sees EDM falling just a little short, and you can kinda see that we match their team with Drai McD Kane nuge and nico jack meier brat... And now we have better goaltending and young D...

Fitz is chasing Foegeles now.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Holtz can't hack it in the top 6 and can't defend to save his life so he needed to go. I wish we could have unloaded him in one of those other trades, but no one wanted him in exchange for anything of value.

Reactions: Darkauron

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Is Paul Cotter our Mikey McLeod replacement?
Yes which is why some of the backlash is amusing

But that said I'm a little less hopeful on this guy, I know Vegas has goosed their rosters because of the faux cap but the fact he doesn't play in the playoffs for them doesn't scream playoff necessity for me.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
TBH though it's not a great look that this dude hasn't even played in the playoffs for Vegas the last couple years.

Means nothing, like I said before, McLeod was complete garbage career wise until the 2023 playoffs. All you need is a chance as a fourth liner in the NHL, he'll get that here. Also, Schmid wasn't making the roster and Holtz has lost favor in NJ. What's exactly the issue if Cotter is also a scratch?

Reactions: RANDOMH3RO

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
I don't hate Cotter, just upset that Holtz was such a swing and a miss. You can't blow top 7 picks. At least they are probably getting a useful piece to the puzzle.

It's better that they moved on from Holtz than him being here and the question marks surround his head + coaching staff + management as to why he's not playing more. Holtz was finished in NJ after that Fitz press conference in March, it was glaringly evident

Reactions: Oneiro

pkbrux

Jul 19, 2006
NJ
This trade seems worse then it is when you just look at the names involved. But when you look deeper, it makes sense, even if its not thrilling.

1) With Schmid, Daws and Poulter all needing AHL time, but we only have enough room for two, it makes sense for all three of them to move someone. For me, if I had to move one, it would have been Schmid, so I am good with that.

2) If you don't trade Holtz, you have to play him somewhere in the NHL. I still believe in his talent, but it just didnt seem like things would come together for him here. So factoring that in, where would you want to play him in NJ? On the 4th line? That isnt productive for anyone.

3) From the trades the Devs have made over the last 16 months, seems like the rest of the NHL doesnt believe in Holtz at all...so if you don't want to play him on your 4th line and he isn't worth more than a 3rd round pick to other teams, your hands are sort of tied.

4) I'm not super familiar with Cotter's game, but from looking at the analytics, seems he will at least be an above average 4th liner, which the team desperately needs. And since he is locked into league minimum for 2 years, that helps against what the team is clearly going to be spending in FA. Its sort of the same justification the Lightning used to trade big assets for Coleman, just to a lesser scale because Cotter isn't as good as Coleman and the Devils gave up lesser assets.

Homedresser

Proverbs 26:4-5
Dec 7, 2021
I hate to break it to you guys but Schmid had little to no value at the NHL level.

Goalies do not go for much, not to mention his horrible stats last year and we now have 3 goalies ahead of him on the depth chart.

Holtz is Holtz, ive heard from people in the org they really didnt like his hockey IQ above all else. 2 pieces the org had really no interest in keeping / needing
Spot on. Schmid was not considered an NHL goaile by the Devils. Even after lucking out in he rangers series Schmid was told he wasn't guranteed a spot with the big club heading to camp last year. That told you what they thought of him. The trade is brutal but Schmid is basically a zero.

Reactions: Darkauron

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Means nothing, like I said before, McLeod was complete garbage career wise until the 2023 playoffs. All you need is a chance as a fourth liner in the NHL, he'll get that here. Also, Schmid wasn't making the roster and Holtz has lost favor in NJ. What's exactly the issue if Cotter is also a scratch?
The issue is there's still a non-zero chance both Holtz and Schmid hit their considerable celing while this guy's already hit his and it's not that high, granted I don't really see it with Holtz cause he comes off as a stubborn twat but maybe the trade is what he needs to finally shape up. Schmid clearly has talent but he's been wildly inconsistent in his career with the highs being high and the lows being pretty freaking low and more numerous than the highs.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
The 3rd probably holds more value then either of Holtz and Schmid on their own maybe even more the Cotter.

In a 1 for 1 deal the 3rd gets you any of those players and everything thinks its a steal of a pick.

Have 3 seconds and 2 Thirds next year gives us a lot of pieces for deals either Monday over the summer or at the deadline.

Holtz value can be argued for days. He's use can too. Fact is it wasnt working here and the longer we held on the less and less we would get if we ever got anything and was working his way to waivers.

Dont worry you guys you can have Holtz back next year when Vegas puts him on waivers.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
So apparently based off what I'm seeing in this thread is that Fitz should have kept Holtz and never admitted he drafted badly. instead he keeps Holtz forever.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
I don't hate Cotter, just upset that Holtz was such a swing and a miss. You can't blow top 7 picks. At least they are probably getting a useful piece to the puzzle.
Especially when the picks right after Holtz were Quinn, Rossi, Perfetti, Askarov, Lundell, and Jarvis. Woof.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
I think everyone is going to be generally disappointed with all that Fitz does here.

We had last year to try skill and speed everywhere and it was clear that we need two way guys who have size, are athletic and can skate and be physical if we plan on winning anything.

Shipping Marino, Holtz and Scmid hurts bc of their high ceilings, which they will likely never reach, and we're trading for mid floors. Fitz is going to build a team of Evan Rodriguezes and that might actually be a better path to victory with our core, considering Florida and the Rags seasons, and more specifically Edmonton's run.

I think Fitz sees EDM falling just a little short, and you can kinda see that we match their team with Drai McD Kane nuge and nico jack meier brat... And now we have better goaltending and young D...

Fitz is chasing Foegeles now.
"Chasing Foegeles" is a TV show waiting to happen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad