Confirmed with Link: Schmid and Holtz traded to VGK for Paul Cotter and 2025 3rd rounder

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Finally beat a boss in Elden Ring that was all up in my snatch. Took a look here and was a bit surprised I would say!

Holtz seemingly had minimal value, no one wanted him in any prior deals that he was dangled in. I'll always love Schmid for that playoff series but last year was rough and who knows if he'll turn it around, between him and Daws I have a bit more faith in Daws I suppose.

Terrible value at the 7th overall spot a few years ago but what's done is done, Holtz is the guy we took and he's tanked since then. Have little hopes for Cotter other than he can be a regular bottom 6 player for us.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
The Devils made the playoffs one time in the last, what, 9 years before Tatar arrived? If you were complaining about his postseason play when he got signed, I don't know what to tell you. It also took Nico a bit of time to get rolling last year as well without Tatar and Mercer looked god awful. I don't get this fanbase's fascination to shit on Tatar when he was perfect for what he was signed for and arguably could've still used last year
I have a fascination with shitting on hypocritical takes. That is all. If you missed that point, I don't know what to tell you.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Me too, but was told to shut up about it cuz it didn't matter and other teams can be stupid. But have also been told to stop caring about guys we traded because they were sat in the playoffs with us.

Maybe instead of thinking in platitudes you should consider that Vegas has been doing LTIR wankery for the last two seasons and this guy was the odd man out because he's the 12th best skater on the roster.

Reactions: SteveCangialosi123

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I assume that poster means Mercer, but I don't see him getting offloaded since unlike with Holtz, Fitz HAS been desperate to hold onto him so far - granted a lot of the underachievers and malcontents seem to be getting shipped out but I don't see him giving up on a 21-year old who plays every game after one poor season.

If he actually means Bratt then LOLZ dude was one of the few guys who actually did consistently show up most games last year.

Reactions: My3Sons

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
lol the sharks rejected holtz the flames rejected him and his home country rejected him. lets see how HF is taking the news..........................yeah pretty typical reaction from you guys lol.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I have a fascination with shitting on hypocritical takes. That is all. If you missed that point, I don't know what to tell you.
I get that Tatar played well for NJ but he’s like an NBA role playing three point guy. They are hot and cold and can’t be counted on to make a difference every game.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
lol the sharks rejected holtz the flames rejected him and his home country rejected him. lets see how HF is taking the news..........................yeah pretty typical reaction from you guys lol.
What are you on about? Most of the posts I’m seeing right now are saying exactly that.

Reactions: Satans Hockey

Normal Devil

Mar 16, 2014
So apparently based off what I'm seeing in this thread is that Fitz should have kept Holtz and never admitted he drafted badly. instead he keeps Holtz forever.
Nah, you gotta move on at some point .. was hoping he still had higher value than this, but it is what it is. The market spoke .. I'm sure he was shopped around to nearly every team and this is the best they could get.

Reactions: Xirik

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Maybe instead of thinking in platitudes you should consider that Vegas has been doing LTIR wankery for the last two seasons and this guy was the odd man out because he's the 12th best skater on the roster.
Already said I'm ok with him and get it.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
you guys wanted the bottom helped well here ya go. not saying this guy is bad or good but its definitely an improvement for whats on the bottom 6 now.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
The overreaction is just too good

Holtz, who was never getting a roster spot this year, for a bottom-6 player who hits more than he breathes, is cheap, and will be here likely long-term

Oh the horror! How will the Devils ever recover now!! Trade Jack and the team, f*** it
The overreaction is they had a top-10 pick and turned into a 4th liner. That’s an organizational failure. Since the rebuild started in 2015 they’ve had 3 top 12 picks end up being huge disappointments (Zacha, McCleod, Holtz). Big reason why the team has progressed where it should be.

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
I assume that poster means Mercer, but I don't see him getting offloaded since unlike with Holtz, Fitz HAS been desperate to hold onto him so far - granted a lot of the underachievers and malcontents seem to be getting shipped out but I don't see him giving up on a 21-year old who plays every game after one poor season.

If he actually means Bratt then LOLZ dude was one of the few guys who actually did consistently show up most games last year.
Because Mercer has an insane motor and drive to be better and try hard; something Holtz very evidently lacked, even back to his SHL days

Reactions: RANDOMH3RO

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The overreaction is they had a top-10 pick and turned into a 4th liner. That’s an organizational failure. Since the rebuild started in 2015 they’ve had 3 top 12 picks end up being huge disappointments (Zacha, McCleod, Holtz). Big reason why the team has progressed where it should be.
Well they kinda did that already with a top eleven pick a few years ago and nobody called him a failure once he started playing better in that role.

Reactions: My3Sons

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012

Who are you talking about?

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
I think everyone is going to be generally disappointed with all that Fitz does here.

We had last year to try skill and speed everywhere and it was clear that we need two way guys who have size, are athletic and can skate and be physical if we plan on winning anything.

Shipping Marino, Holtz and Scmid hurts bc of their high ceilings, which they will likely never reach, and we're trading for mid floors. Fitz is going to build a team of Evan Rodriguezes and that might actually be a better path to victory with our core, considering Florida and the Rags seasons, and more specifically Edmonton's run.

I think Fitz sees EDM falling just a little short, and you can kinda see that we match their team with Drai McD Kane nuge and nico jack meier brat... And now we have better goaltending and young D...

Fitz is chasing Foegeles now.
Not me, I love his moves and draft picks so far. I think we will get a couple Dmen in free agency that will make us very competitive if we can stay healthy.

Reactions: billingtons ghost

pkbrux

Jul 19, 2006
NJ
I think any negative reaction to this trade ultimately boils down to this: You think you are mad at what the Devils got back for Holtz, but deep down what you are really mad at is taking Holtz in the first place.

This is just everyone who still believed in Holtz's talent (me included) or thinking he still should have real trade value having to accept it was just a bad pick. Bad picks happen. I'd rather accept defeat and get a decent 4th liner at league minimum for two years than be stubborn and scratch Holtz all year and ultimately let him go back to Sweden.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Holtz sucks, honestly I think Schmid carries more value at this point. I just wish I’ve heard of the guy we got back in return.
I never heard of him either. I thought he was more of a C but it sounds like he’s more of a Miles Wood-ish player with more beef and physicality and less speed. But still skates very well.

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
Id rather do this with Holtz and get something we need, admit we were wrong then hold onto him for far to long and watch his value plummet to zero ala Kakko and the Rangers

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
All my memes are going up in flames today.

squirrel-squad-1-jpg.658487

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Funny, this is exactly what I thought would be what we would have sent to Calgary for Markstrom. Maybe with a second added.

I’m not sure why the outrage. Holtz had no future here and I was shocked he survived the Markstrom trade.

We have an overload of goalies in the minors now. It’s just a question of whether we may have traded the best prospect. I’m not sure if he was or not.

Reactions: bigd

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad