Confirmed with Link: Schmid and Holtz traded to VGK for Paul Cotter and 2025 3rd rounder

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Again, Holtz was beyond cooked after the Fitz presser in March. If you weren't listening back then this news is more of a shock to you today. You don't get value out of a guy that you blatantly lambast in the public eye. Schmid will always be our hero for the 2023 playoffs but where was his route to the league on this team/organization?

The trade sucks on the surface but it's also understanding the optics of the situation. The Devils corn holed themselves into a corner with Holtz, they have to sleep in what they've done. Also like I said before, Jack having an elite shot is what murder Holtz ever being a top 6 player. Year 1+2 Jack would still need Holtz. After that, Jack became his own shooting dynamo that he doesn't need a guy just to finish plays off for him. They need a nasty power forward on that line if anything

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
I get that Cotter hits people, but is there any evidence that this guy is actually a remotely decent player other than that one goal highlight that every single Devils account has posted on twitter?

His analytics look pretty abysmal other than treading water defensively.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
The more and more I read the more and more I realize that some of you need to remove emotion from your thought processes.

Yes we all wanted Holtz to succeed but he didnt here. It does suck that a 7th overall pick fell as hard as he did. But i promise you that if we kept him and we lost him via waivers or he went back to SHL you would have all lost it way more.

Schmid had 1 good moment with us and yes it was great with a ton of emotion tied to it. But this is a business and something in the A goalie situation had to give.

Both of these guys dont have the value you want them to. You get what you can and you move on. Thats what the Devils and Tom did. It was never going to be pretty.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
I know that it really doesn't mean anything, but the fact that this deal was initially reported for like 20 minutes as Akira Schmid being traded and then it turned out, "oh yeah, holtz is going to Vegas too" is like the perfect encapsulation of where I imagine holtz's value was
Ya I think Schmid is the bigger piece here. And I’m more concerned about him turning out good but not that concerned because he doesn’t look that talented to me. But goalies are Voodoo.

Reactions: Forge

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Cotter.png

Reactions: My3Sons

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
It's been doing that error occurred BS to me on my laptop for over a year. Can only use it on my phone I guess lol
I just exited completely out of the browser (not just the window, the entire browser) then re-loaded it and it let me log in this time.

It remains to be seen if it will log me out next time I get off the computer.

I've had an off and on again problem with getting on the site on desktop for probably over a year now, but it's been mostly off for a while now and not giving me any problems. That's an entirely different problem from this though,

Reactions: My3Sons

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I know that it really doesn't mean anything, but the fact that this deal was initially reported for like 20 minutes as Akira Schmid being traded and then it turned out, "oh yeah, holtz is going to Vegas too" is like the perfect encapsulation of where I imagine holtz's value was
This. Holtz wasn't even the main piece in this trade, he was an add-on.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020

Pretty good point too, maybe it's a favor to Holtz to get out of NJ and try to latch on elsewhere. It was never gonna happen here.

Reactions: Forge

Saint Beaurivage

Jersey Shore
Nov 18, 2017
I know a lot guys in here liked Holtz, I did too. But I noticed he never kicked it in 2nd gear. He had that one-timer but it seldom went in. Always had a smile on his face, loved that, but he isn't going to get you into the playoffs. We need tough players bad. McLeod believe it or not was a tough loss.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
Meh.

Schmid is not an NHL starting goalie and between Daws, Poultier, etc we have a surplus of possible goalies. Something had to give. A 3rd is fine.

Holtz is on the downswing. Getting a big 4C for him isn't the worst thing in the world.

Not great, not terrible. It's a team attitude shaker more than anything.

Reactions: Darkauron and Mgd31

GeNeXt

Jul 5, 2012
What's the reason Cotter didn't get any run for Vegas in playoffs either season. Possibly didn't have trust of Cassidy?

Killing Joke

Dec 2, 2017
Meh.

Schmid is not an NHL starting goalie and between Daws, Poultier, etc we have a surplus of possible goalies. Something had to give. A 3rd is fine.

Holtz is on the downswing. Getting a big 4C for him isn't the worst thing in the world.

Not great, not terrible. It's a team attitude shaker more than anything.
hes not a center he also sucks.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Fitz has finally redeeming himself after that horrible Markstrom trade. Couldn't be happier. Cotter will win you more games in the line up than Holtz will, plus you get a 3rd round pick.

Well done Fitz.View attachment 889593
You don’t get to use this photo when the guy SAT EVERY PLAYOFF GAME! Sure he gets a ring but come on now.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I get that Cotter hits people, but is there any evidence that this guy is actually a remotely decent player other than that one goal highlight that every single Devils account has posted on twitter?

His analytics look pretty abysmal other than treading water defensively.
Honestly, this trade kind of reminds me of a Quenneville for Hayden type of trade.

Cotter is obviously better than John Hayden, but Holtz is also better than Quenneville.

I don't really give much of a shit that we lost Holtz. I actually expected Holtz and one of Daws/Schmid to go in the Markstrom trade before it happened. And then I looked around last week and saw both those goalies, along with Holtz were still here and was kind of surprised.

Reactions: theoptimist

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad