Confirmed with Link: Schmid and Holtz traded to VGK for Paul Cotter and 2025 3rd rounder

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Schmid plays in the A as he is waiver exempt. Holtz plays with Jack and Bratt, or whatever line or being healthy scratched the entire season. Even that makes more sense than giving out recent 7th overall 22 year old with 16 goals with limites icetime away for free.
Nobody wants Holtz that much or thinks he’s very good. No matter how much you loved him as a prospect or still he can figure things out, that is the reality. He had extremely little value.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
Holtz isn’t a bottom-six player, he cannot play down the lineup right now and they sure as shit weren’t putting him in the top six. Nor did he deserve to be there. He doesn’t bring anything else to be a 3rd line player and develop. Maybe Vegas fixes that but it wasn’t happening here.

The bigger issue was the pick when it happened. They wanted a goal scorer and they got a one dimensional forward who was not plug and play.

It sucks. They sold low on a player who was publicly trashed by the organization. It’s not how I’d do business but after San Jose and Calgary both opted for lesser assets, it was getting obvious.

pkbrux

Jul 19, 2006
NJ
Schmid plays in the A as he is waiver exempt. Holtz plays with Jack and Bratt, or whatever line or being healthy scratched the entire season. Even that makes more sense than giving out recent 7th overall 22 year old with 16 goals with limites icetime away for free.

Schmid plays in the AHL over Daws and Poulter? No thank you, he has way less upside than both of them.

Clearly the organization was not going to play Holtz with Jack and Bratt, come on, lets be realistic. It was a pick that didn't work out, lets just move on.

McDuffz88

HIRE BERUBE!!!
Sep 18, 2019
I agree we need to get more physical big bodied players, but we shouldn't be doing so while acting irrational. There's no debate that Fitz got fleeced on the Holtz trade. Fitz is doing an extreme overreaction by doing anything at all costs to bring in big bodied players (again I agree and do approve). Could it be that Fitz could be feeling a little bit of heat from the owners? I approve of the Markstrom trade, I approve of the guy we drafted, I even approve of selling Holtz. We all knew the kid was gone but Fitz single handedly tanked his value. As a GM you should never ever talk bad about your players openly to the whole world. That should be kept behind closed doors. If anything publicly you should be trying to hype him up or do political answers if asked about him. By Fitz announcing to the world he hates Holtz, he lost any little leverage he had with trading him. Instead of hyping him up to be like hey other GMs here's a young kid who put up almost 20 goals in his 1st full time season with low minutes, Fitz is out there saying this kid sucks at this, this and this. That's something Fitz really dropped the ball on that.

Reactions: PKs Broken Stick

Saint Beaurivage

Jersey Shore
Nov 18, 2017
We are already a better team. Ok, going for a bike ride and going to enjoy it. Some of you need to relax, I am not a huge Fitz fan either but he is cleaning house because we were an underperforming team and weren't good enough to make the playoffs.

Like everyone else I admired Holtz for his attitude but he hardly lit the lamp, and generated very little break out speed. He didn't generate points with any of our top players, the Huges experiment was laughable.

We will ice a better team next year, this is what I believe.

Reactions: bigd

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Thats just wrong. Saying he brings nothing is just stupid

Speed, physicality, standing up for team mates. We just watched a year of the saddest bottom 6 we have ever had. He is a very + BOTTOM 6 guy who put up 25 points and will easily lead our team in hits

IMG_6203.jpeg

Literal dime a dozen

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
What was wrong with the Crawford contract? Other than the fact that he retired, which no one, including Crawford knew at the time the deal was signed. And it didn't even count against the cap after he retired.

I forgot Crawford ever signed with the Devils. That's right up there with the Capitals signing Lundqvist the same day. Both guys got on the ice for training camp/practice (or practice later in the season in Henrik's case) for those teams, but neither even dressed a game.

• Haha
Reactions: NJDevs26

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
What value? :D
He and Schmid brought back a 4th line grinder with no hands and a 3rd rounder. That's practically as low as it can be.
I promise it gets lower. Ever heard of rounds 4-7? Also Cotter is a solid 4th liner who brings speed and physicality on a cheap contract. There’s value in that.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
Would I rather have holtz than cotter? Sure, I think so, but it's really just because I don't want to quit the potential of him being a really good top 6 player.

Now ask me if I believe holtz will ever be a good top 6 player lol

Wouldn't surprise me at all if cotter is more impactful than holtz, but it's a bitter pill

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Please tell me, if you keep Holtz and Schmid where are they playing this year? You have to play them somewhere, and as much as I believe in Holtz's talent, I don't want him playing ineffectively on the 4th line in NJ.

I also believe in Daws and Poulter more than Schmid, so I don't want them losing out on any playing time in the AHL.

They both needed to go, and this was apparently the best value they could get. It is what it is.
Schmid was guaranteed to be in the AHL for this season at least, no higher than third choice at best and probably not even that high given he was the one offloaded in the end. Plus he's the oldest of the three, at some point you need to fish or cut bait.

Reactions: bigd and Bleedred

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think Fitz has done a great job and I believe in his vision. At the same time, it’s okay to admit this was not a great trade and he sold incredibly low.
That's kind of where I am.

Although I don't really care that Holtz is gone and I don't care too much more that Schmid is gone. I was just hoping to get something a tiny bit better. I'm not sure how I feel about Cotter. He could be fine, he could be bad. I have a feeling if he's not good that this will be a one and done with him and he won't play here beyond one year.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Then don't trade him!
i get what you are saying but do you hold onto to things with no value to you and you have limited space to try and add some value to your collection?

i was excited for holtz here with sheldon but clearly the people making the decisions who probably know more then we do don't feel the same way

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
It's Holtz and Schmid, this literally values Holtz lower than a 4th rounder, a pick which has like 1% chance of becoming an nhler. Oh and the other guy..
Lmao what are you talking about. The other has value. A Schmid for Cotter trade would entirely make sense. In which case your value if Holtz at a 3rd rounder. Realistically all 4 pieces in this trade have approximately 3rd round value or slightly less.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
That's kind of where I am.

Although I don't really care that Holtz is gone and I don't care too much more that Schmid is gone. I was just hoping to get something a tiny bit better. I'm not sure how I feel about Cotter. He could be fine, he could be bad. I have a feeling if he's not good that this will be a one and done with him and he won't play here beyond one year.
I don’t think he’ll be bad enough for them to not keep him on his min contract for next season too. He’s a legitimately solid bottom 6 forward on as cheap of a contract as you can find.

Reactions: Bleedred

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
Only this place would jump for joy over trading a possible high 1st rounder for a 35 year old goalie with 13 career playoff wins, then at the same time say Schmid has no value with 4 strong playoff wins at barely 24.

If this if their value, then you don't trade them. End of story. Fitz sucks. He's a neanderthal along with the director of player dev and the fake analytics team influencing this org.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad