Confirmed with Link: Schmid and Holtz traded to VGK for Paul Cotter and 2025 3rd rounder

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Who's taking Holtz's spot right now? Who's Schmid pushing out?

I don't mind trading them, that's fine, but why now? Not like you're clearing cap space to do something with it on Monday. There's no games this week. Was the return going to be worse in a month? 2 months?

They could have held off and seen how things played out more as other teams lost guys to free agency.
Probably yes given that teams also fill organizational holes in FA. Plus with Holtz it was already obvious we were shopping him around the league with no takers for over a year while with Schmid people realize we're not gonna carry three prospect goalies in the AHL after drafting two other guys today to boot. Our leverage was only going to go down on Schmid as the season came closer, and probably couldn't go down any more with Holtz.

Reactions: pkbrux

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Funny how Holtz sucks but is way better than Cotter on all these advstats cards. Has 16 goals as a 22 year old with playing 10minutes / night. I'd have no problem trading Holtz if we could get something worth while back, but this guy is a nobody.

the rebuilding sharks chose not to have him in a trade. they just picked up goodnow from the rangers lol those chose him and his shit contract over holtz. just stop

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I’m sure they’re just excited about a reclamation project with a higher ceiling and couldn’t care less about Cotter. Would you be surprised if Holtz puts up 20+ goals? I certainly wouldn’t.
They're probably ecstatic just after seeing the freakouts in this thread lol

New Jersey Devils

Doc & Chico Forever
Jun 20, 2007
NJ-NYC
I’m actually really surprised at the Holtz backlash here. He was a bad pick at the time and it should speak volumes that he was never part of a package of either the Timo or Markstrom trades. Not sure what everyone was expecting with his value so low.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
I’m sure they’re just excited about a reclamation project with a higher ceiling and couldn’t care less about Cotter. Would you be surprised if Holtz puts up 20+ goals? I certainly wouldn’t.
good for them if he scores 20 thats where the bar is set with this kid 20 goals? damn that just goes to show you how low his value is

Lou Bloom

Oct 14, 2020
Yeah and he's been WAY worse this year, 7 goals in 70 something games. He's also been a 0.5ppg player in ahl his whole career while Holtz was ppg in his first full year. Holtz has gotten better each year, this guy is already declining. You are delusional if you think he's better. Holtz will score more next year than this guy in his whole (short) stint in the Devils.
Michael McLeod also only scored 0.5 PPG in the AHL, off the ice issues aside would you have preferred Holtz over McLeod? And if anything Cotter is on a more upward developmental trajectory going from 4th round pick in 2018 to NHL regular on a playoff team vs Holtz who was the 7th overall pick in 2020 still struggling to keep an NHL starting spot on a team that dealt with a ton of injuries and had little depth last year.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I’m actually really surprised at the Holtz backlash here. He was a bad pick at the time and it should speak volumes that he was never part of a package of either the Timo or Markstrom trades. Not sure what everyone was expecting with his value so low.
I think it's more the sticker shock of BOTH guys having that little value combined...but despite being a prospect-ish with some limited success at the NHL level clearly Schmid didn't have much value either.

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
Yeah and he's been WAY worse this year, 7 goals in 70 something games. He's also been a 0.5ppg player in ahl his whole career while Holtz was ppg in his first full year. Holtz has gotten better each year, this guy is already declining. You are delusional if you think he's better. Holtz will score more next year than this guy in his whole (short) stint in the Devils.
Yea WAY worse.

Cotter .38 PPG in his career / Holtz .31 PPG in his career. I dont give a flying f*** what he did in the AHL. Hes been a replacement level player in the NHL, period.

Give me a break, Cotter is quite literally on Holtz's level while being better defensively, move phyiscal, can play C

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Cotter is kind of what they wanted Holtz to be, but he didn't have the toolset or willingness to play that game.

Holtz being the 'odd man out in our bottom six' WITHOUT any adds imminent is pretty telling lol

Lou Bloom

Oct 14, 2020
I get it. But at the same time, he has literally been healthy scratched for every playoff game of his career. If anything, you’d think his game sounds like it should be suited for that atmosphere. I know, young and inexperienced and all that. Still, that does nothing to endear this trade to me.
Holtz would also be scratched if the Devils made the playoffs. Both of these players have question marks and both teams are making bets that the guy they're getting will turn into a solid NHL regular.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
Coter has no value either, he a dime a dozen dumpster dive.

There are probably trades that I would have much preferred. This is Fitz on his "I'm hellbent on the team being physical and hit things!".

But yeah, I'm mostly not going to miss Holtz because as much as I don't want to give up on the talent, I really don't think he's going to be any good. I had legit concerns that he wasn't even going to be useful in his bottom 6 role and we could just see him jet off to sweden lol

Reactions: JK3

BostonDevil

Jun 28, 2019
Probably yes given that teams also fill organizational holes in FA. Plus with Holtz it was already obvious we were shopping him around the league with no takers for over a year while with Schmid people realize we're not gonna carry three prospect goalies in the AHL after drafting two other guys today to boot. Our leverage was only going to go down on Schmid as the season came closer, and probably couldn't go down any more with Holtz.
Worse than nothing?

Devil made me do it

Nov 28, 2009
California
I am puzzled as to why people hate this trade? We get a bottom line feisty player like Cotter who will compliment one of Bastian/Lazar + a 3rd pick... for a goalie who will never be a starter and a bust like Holtz?
How is this a bad trade?

Reactions: Guttersniped

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
Considering we have holes in top 6, to say this is certainly something
Holtz was terrible and there is no chance he would be someone we trust in the playoffs. I think the gaps in his game are too large for him to overcome to become an effective player here.

Cotter can be a good value piece for the next two seasons, while adding a much needed physical presence.

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
I am puzzled as to why people hate this trade? We get a bottom line feisty player like Cotter who will compliment one of Bastian/Lazar + a 3rd pick... for a goalie who will never be a starter and a bust like Holtz?
How is this a bad trade?
People are in love with the idea of what Holtz can be, nott what he actually is

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Holtz was terrible and there is no chance he would be someone we trust in the playoffs. I think the gaps in his game are too large for him to overcome to become an effective player here.

Cotter can be a good value piece for the next two seasons, while adding a much needed physical presence.

That wasn't really the point of my post. Fitz completely dismissed any idea of Holtz getting into the top 6 even though we already have holes there and no set replacements.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad