Confirmed with Link: Schmid and Holtz traded to VGK for Paul Cotter and 2025 3rd rounder

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I think Fitz has done a great job and I believe in his vision. At the same time, it’s okay to admit this was not a great trade and he sold incredibly low.
He did but he didn't really have much choice BUT to sell low.

Honestly I'd probably be much higher on the trades than I am if Fitz hadn't also fubared the draft too. He seems to be in full desperation mode. Maybe he should be...but it's still a bit disconcerting cause desperate GM's are rarely smart GM's.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Only this place would jump for joy over trading a possible high 1st rounder for a 35 year old goalie with 13 career playoff wins, then at the same time say Schmid has no value with 4 strong playoff wins at barely 24.

If this if their value, then you don't trade them. End of story. Fitz sucks. He's a neanderthal along with the director of player dev and the fake analytics team influencing this org.
Then what pray tell do you do, hold them hostage and let them have zero value at all until they go overseas or UFA? That's just wasting roster spots if you don't believe in guys you're keeping. They've clearly seen enough from both to know neither one was going to be in their plans next year and Holtz sure as shit wasn't ever going to be a serious part of their plans. Schmid definitely has more of a chance of breaking out IMO but there's also a bit of a glut at the AHL level, you can't literally keep all three guys and give them enough playing time to get a realistic feel of developing all.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Only this place would jump for joy over trading a possible high 1st rounder for a 35 year old goalie with 13 career playoff wins, then at the same time say Schmid has no value with 4 strong playoff wins at barely 24.

If this if their value, then you don't trade them. End of story. Fitz sucks. He's a neanderthal along with the director of player dev and the fake analytics team influencing this org.
Only you could skim over a bunch of posts saying, "meh whatever" and convince yourself people are jumping for joy just so you can get yourself worked up.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Only you could skim over a bunch of posts saying, "meh whatever" and convince yourself people are jumping for joy just so you can get yourself worked up.
I mean anyone 'jumping for joy' over this trade is an extreme minority :laugh:

I'd say the posts pretty much range from losing their shit to understanding yet underwhelmed. I'm closer to the latter but definitely worried about Fitz after the totality of this day.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

Schmid has some value. When Lebrun said he was on the block, I valued him at around a 3rd or 4th round pick. Counting everything in playoff wins is a really reductive way to look at anything.

The bold is a really asinine point. Sometimes players need a change of scenery. What was Holtz going to do here? Where do you put Holtz next season? Where's he playing? What's his role?

Likewise with Schmid - you cannot keep Daws and Schmid through this season. You have to move on from one of them and they picked Schmid to move on from.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Funny how Holtz sucks but is way better than Cotter on all these advstats cards. Has 16 goals as a 22 year old with playing 10minutes / night. I'd have no problem trading Holtz if we could get something worth while back, but this guy is a nobody.
Yeah and Cotter had 13 goals in 55 games the year before as a 23 year old. We moved mid for mid but the guy we got fit better.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
I don’t think he’s some good player, but these tools are not meant to make definitive statements based off of parts of a couple seasons. Management likes his skill set, and it isn’t exactly a dime a dozen considering we have basically no one his size that can skate well and be near the league lead in hits.

I get it. But at the same time, he has literally been healthy scratched for every playoff game of his career. If anything, you’d think his game sounds like it should be suited for that atmosphere. I know, young and inexperienced and all that. Still, that does nothing to endear this trade to me.

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
They used one of those picks on a better prospect than Akira.

Also how is a sub .900sv% goalie in the ushl better prospect than guy with actual NHL playoff experience, basically shuting down dangerous high scoring rangers team and winning the series for Devils.

Maybe he becomes great but he most certainly hasn't done anything that would put him above Akira.

Reactions: PKs Broken Stick

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I get it. But at the same time, he has literally been healthy scratched for every playoff game of his career. If anything, you’d think his game sounds like it should be suited for that atmosphere. I know, young and inexperienced and all that. Still, that does nothing to endear this trade to me.
Vegas has had some very deep teams with an abundance of heavy, gritty players. Are Vegas fans using the same logic against Holtz? He couldn’t carve out a role on what was a shit ass team last year?

BostonDevil

Jun 28, 2019
How so? Where was Holtz playing in the lineup this year? Which of the three AHL goalies are getting squeezed out of playing time? I think making a move like this was very necessary.

Clearly the org didnt believe in Holtz, so why would you want him playing in our bottom 6 when his shot is his best asset? And I think everyone knew one of the three AHL goalies had to go, I'm just glad its Schmid as I think he has the least upside.

Who's taking Holtz's spot right now? Who's Schmid pushing out?

I don't mind trading them, that's fine, but why now? Not like you're clearing cap space to do something with it on Monday. There's no games this week. Was the return going to be worse in a month? 2 months?

They could have held off and seen how things played out more as other teams lost guys to free agency.

Saint Beaurivage

Jersey Shore
Nov 18, 2017
Can't wait to see Paul Cotter put Panarin and Zibenjead in the cheap seats.
Screenshot 2024-06-29 at 4.56.43 PM.png

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Vegas has had some very deep teams with an abundance of heavy, gritty players. Are Vegas fans using the same logic against Holtz? He couldn’t carve out a role on what was a shit ass team last year?

I’m sure they’re just excited about a reclamation project with a higher ceiling and couldn’t care less about Cotter. Would you be surprised if Holtz puts up 20+ goals? I certainly wouldn’t.

Reactions: PKs Broken Stick

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
Yeah and Cotter had 13 goals in 55 games the year before as a 23 year old. We moved mid for mid but the guy we got fit better.
Yeah and he's been WAY worse this year, 7 goals in 70 something games. He's also been a 0.5ppg player in ahl his whole career while Holtz was ppg in his first full year. Holtz has gotten better each year, this guy is already declining. You are delusional if you think he's better. Holtz will score more next year than this guy in his whole (short) stint in the Devils.

Reactions: DrBSmooth

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017

so you continue to hold onto something thats worthless just because you are afraid moving on?

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I’m sure they’re just excited about a reclamation project with a higher ceiling and couldn’t care less about Cotter. Would you be surprised if Holtz puts up 20+ goals? I certainly wouldn’t.
I would not be. We don’t need a passenger to score 20 goals and not contribute elsewhere. I mean Christ, Toffoli was getting killed here and the guy had 26 goals at the trade deadline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad