Confirmed with Link: Schmid and Holtz traded to VGK for Paul Cotter and 2025 3rd rounder

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Yea, but it's just funny to see when that line of "benched in the playoffs" matters and when it doesn't.
Eh I was definitely banging that drum with Tatar too, but at least we 'only' signed him for short-term money and on a rebuilding team. He was more of a hold the fort player than someone we were really counting on to take us to the next level.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
The issue is there's still a non-zero chance both Holtz and Schmid hit their considerable celing while this guy's already hit his and it's not that high, granted I don't really see it with Holtz cause he comes off as a stubborn twat but maybe the trade is what he needs to finally shape up. Schmid clearly has talent but he's been wildly inconsistent in his career with the highs being high and the lows being pretty freaking low and more numerous than the highs.

If they do, it was never happening here in NJ. Holtz was clearly out of favor and never gonna get a chance, this isn't a Pavel Zacha situation. If he becomes good in Vegas, the Devils have themselves to blame surely but if they don't think he can play than that's their management making that decision. The issue with Holtz also is that Jack has become an elite shooter from his draft days, he doesn't need a Holtz. The linemate that Jack/Bratt need are a power forward and Holtz isn't that. Holtz also wouldn't work with Timo/Nico stylistically. I'm rooting for the kid in Vegas but he has a tough road ahead as a player to become his pre draft ceiling.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
I mean it's bad asset management but Holtz was done after that press conference Fitz had where he brutally chastised him after the Lindy firing. His time in NJ was done after that. Schmid is whatever, they drafted 2 goalies today and they probably like Daws/Poulter better.

Absolutely, there's no reason to tell everyone you have a shit hand even if you do but Fitz has shown a few times that he isn't great at controlling his emotions between that press conference and crying over firing Lindy Ruff.

New Jersey Devils

Doc & Chico Forever
Jun 20, 2007
NJ-NYC
I like it. Holtz was never going to crack it here. Sad about Schmid, but I have to also assume Kahkkonen will be back, and I thought he was damn solid here.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ

hell-yeah-stone-cold-steve-austin-ovrfsp6m7zhxn9yp.gif

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
The overreaction is just too good

Holtz, who was never getting a roster spot this year, for a bottom-6 player who hits more than he breathes, is cheap, and will be here likely long-term

Oh the horror! How will the Devils ever recover now!! Trade Jack and the team, f*** it

Homedresser

Proverbs 26:4-5
Dec 7, 2021
I think everyone is going to be generally disappointed with all that Fitz does here.

We had last year to try skill and speed everywhere and it was clear that we need two way guys who have size, are athletic and can skate and be physical if we plan on winning anything.

Shipping Marino, Holtz and Scmid hurts bc of their high ceilings, which they will likely never reach, and we're trading for mid floors. Fitz is going to build a team of Evan Rodriguezes and that might actually be a better path to victory with our core, considering Florida and the Rags seasons, and more specifically Edmonton's run.

I think Fitz sees EDM falling just a little short, and you can kinda see that we match their team with Drai McD Kane nuge and nico jack meier brat... And now we have better goaltending and young D...

Fitz is chasing Foegeles now.
Fitz is trying to remake this team on the fly. Next up is trying to get rid of at least one of his under sized forwards that is lousy defensively and is a non physical presence. One specific.

Reactions: billingtons ghost

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
Yes, but the point is, he literally doesn’t bring anything to the table, redundant or not
Thats just wrong. Saying he brings nothing is just stupid

Speed, physicality, standing up for team mates. We just watched a year of the saddest bottom 6 we have ever had. He is a very + BOTTOM 6 guy who put up 25 points and will easily lead our team in hits

Reactions: Darkauron

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
The overreaction is just too good

Holtz, who was never getting a roster spot this year, for a bottom-6 player who hits more than he breathes, is cheap, and will be here likely long-term

Oh the horror! How will the Devils ever recover now!! Trade Jack and the team, f*** it
Holtz would likely have provided negative value in his minutes next year so getting rid of him is addition by subtraction IMO. Cotter fills a need and is signed for league min for two years.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Eh I was definitely banging that drum with Tatar too, but at least we 'only' signed him for short-term money and on a rebuilding team. He was more of a hold the fort player than someone we were really counting on to take us to the next level.
Me too, but was told to shut up about it cuz it didn't matter and other teams can be stupid. But have also been told to stop caring about guys we traded because they were sat in the playoffs with us.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Thats just wrong. Saying he brings nothing is just stupid

Speed, physicality, standing up for team mates. We just watched a year of the saddest bottom 6 we have ever had. He is a very + BOTTOM 6 guy who put up 25 points and will easily lead our team in hits

Who has the toliet paper lineup meme? We sure weren't good last year but in the past decade of darkness there's actually been worse bottom 6 lineups lol

ndkjr70

Jan 30, 2023
Fitz is trying to remake this team on the fly. Next up is trying to get rid of at least one of his under sized forwards that is lousy defensively and is a non physical presence. One specific.
I am desperate to find out who you're talking about lmfao

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020

Me too, but was told to shut up about it cuz it didn't matter and other teams can be stupid. But have also been told to stop caring about guys we traded because they were sat in the playoffs with us.

The Devils made the playoffs one time in the last, what, 9 years before Tatar arrived? If you were complaining about his postseason play when he got signed, I don't know what to tell you. It also took Nico a bit of time to get rolling last year as well without Tatar and Mercer looked god awful. I don't get this fanbase's fascination to shit on Tatar when he was perfect for what he was signed for and arguably could've still used last year

Reactions: Satans Hockey

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Holtz had no place on this roster next year unless we weren't planning on being super competitive.

Should tell you all you need to know, and another year warming the bench would have tanked any value he had left even further.
We did him a bit of a solid by giving him and Schmid a fresh start. If Holtz can round his game out playing for Cassidy than he won't be anything special in this league. Yeah he has an elite shot with good offensive skills but he won't be too much of a net positive for his team. I don't see it being that much of a loss.

Maybe Keefe could of made a difference with Holtz.

Reactions: My3Sons

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad