Confirmed with Link: Schmid and Holtz traded to VGK for Paul Cotter and 2025 3rd rounder

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
its def shocking because of what we once thought these players were gonna be.

but now that I think of it, Schmid for Cotter would be a good trade for us and Holtz's value is seemingly a 3rd round pick.
That's probably well put tbh

There's also a bit of sticker shock here for all of us because it was barely a year ago we were convinced Schmid was the goalie of the future after the playoffs (and there's still a possibility he pans out, although there was a bit of a glut at the AHL level so one of these guys - Schmid, Daws or Poulter had to go regardless) and Holtz who was Fitz's first big pick had somehow survived two major trades - now more than ever it should be obvious that he only survived those trades because HE HAS NO VALUE.

hidek91

Jan 13, 2014
Warsaw, PL
I disagree that Schmid had little value, it all depends on what you mean - Schmid is a great 3rd goalie to have right now as he is still waiver-ineligible. He had a down year but to me his value should've been around a 3rd or a 4th round pick, chances are he's never an NHL starter but he has that potential and even if he improves a little bit, he's a backup.
If you consider the rest of the trade as a swap of 4th liners, Schmid actually got traded for a 3rd round pick.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
Holtz wasn’t given some chances he could’ve been but they would have been gifts because he straight up didn’t play well enough to merit them.

Org admitted their mistake and cut bait.

Reactions: Comparison Ford

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
There’s gotta be some coaching or locker room issues with holtz. Even after Lindy Fitzgerald couldn’t bring himself to say anything positive about him. Terrible asset management
Yup. These assholes drafted the guy, only to trade him 4 years later for some Jag who was healthy scratched the last two playoffs.

I have serious concerns about this leadership team.

Louskoolaid89

Let's Go!!!
Oct 14, 2017
Now make a deal for Laine and have Columbus retain some salary. More expensive than Holtz with way more baggage but, that cat can be resurrected.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Puzzled is the best word I can come up with.

Schmid is what it is. I will hold him dearly in my heart for the Ranger series, but his career has been very up and down to this point. We have so many goalies in the system right now, I think we knew that one of him or Daws was going to be flipped eventually. I would've kept Daws as well.

Holtz is unfortunate because I can easily see him figuring it out in another organization. But I can just as easily see him flaming out as well.

I know nothing about Cotter, so I think that makes this feel like it stings more so? But reading what I am here, a cheaper contract for a guy who can play a bottom 6 role, it makes sense. It's still a tough trade to comprehend given all the other parameters.

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
Everyone talks about how the Devils dont value Holtz, the guy couldnt make Team Sweden this world championships he was cut in favor of 8 different SHLers instead - that should tell you something.

1719686783418.png

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
NJ lost on Holtz the minute they drafted him. Who cares about trading him now. I’m disappointed Schmid is going but NJ does have a goalie logjam now. Malek will likely join Daws and Poulter in the mix after next season. Brennan is also still marinating. Schmid for Cotter and a third doesn’t sound awful in a vacuum. But is Cotter actually a big dude? Seems more like a Lazar

hidek91

Jan 13, 2014
Warsaw, PL
Better make up for this bullshit on Monday! Give up on a 7th overall pick at 22 years old for a 4C. Not to mention Schmid who probably has something to prove. C'mon man.
While I'm not as high on Fitz as most of this board, this is absurd. The fact that Holtz went 7th four years ago does not matter, in fact due to his struggles in D+1 year, he likely doesn't go in top 15 in the re-draft twelve months later.

Reactions: My3Sons

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Really though Schmid earned a lot more team respect than we were giving him.

That performance was unforgettable.

Would have parted with Daws before Schmid. I know he struggled last year, but who the hell didn't.

I have no problem getting Paul cotter (MM replacement) but couldn't we have gotten him for holtz and a pick instead of giving up on Schmid.
Yeah parting with Schmid still makes me a little bit sad but maybe he didn't like being scapegoated this year and stuck in the AHL for another year or two, and one way or another we couldn't hoard all of Schmid, Daws and Poulter in the AHL level.k

Nobody had any problems with an #11 overall becoming a fourth-line center the last couple years so we traded a failed #7 overall for one now.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I really do wonder what Fitz has up his sleeve in free agency.

19 million in space and still need to sign Mercer (~3.5m on a bridge), two top-nine forwards, a top-four forward (presumably Pesce ~6m), and a bottom pairing D (maybe Dillon at ~3 million).

By my math, the Devils are going to have 6.5 million to add two forwards, which isn’t impossible.

Reactions: Better Call Sal

beekay414

Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
I disagree that Schmid had little value, it all depends on what you mean - Schmid is a great 3rd goalie to have right now as he is still waiver-ineligible. He had a down year but to me his value should've been around a 3rd or a 4th round pick, chances are he's never an NHL starter but he has that potential and even if he improves a little bit, he's a backup.
So, break it down as the following...

Schmid for a 3rd
Holtz for Cotter

If we believe that Holtz had no value around the league, I'm not really sure how we got fleeced in this deal. Cotter brings us something we're desperately missing and we got a 3rd for Schmid.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I really do wonder what Fitz has up his sleeve in free agency.

19 million in space and still need to sign Mercer (~3.5m on a bridge), two top-nine forwards, a top-four forward (presumably Pesce ~6m), and a bottom pairing D (maybe Dillon at ~3 million).

By my math, the Devils are going to have 6.5 million or so for two forwards, which isn’t impossible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad