SCF: Florida Panthers vs Edmonton Oilers (Series Tied 3-3) Hold onto your butts, Game 7, Monday 8/24 @ 8pm ET !

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
**Stanley Cup Final**
Florida Panthers vs Edmonton Oilers

IMG_6403.pngIMG_6404.png

IMG_6446.jpeg

Last edited:

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Hey , why is the game on saturday a week after? Nobody in the world except Nhl fans will even know this is starting on the weekend lol. Let's get things going faster next time

Reactions: Crabapple

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Manitoba
If you look at the top 6 of both teams

McDavid, Draisaitl, Nuge, Hyman, Kane, McLeod(?)

Barkov, Reinhart, Tkatchuk, Bennett, Verhaege, Rodrigues

Sure the Oilers have the 2 best offensive guys but Florida's top-6 is pretty damn good. Now if you go further down the lineup, I would say Florida's third and fourth line are definitely better than those of Oilers'. Do you disagree?

Oilers' first D-pairing has been really good for them but after that it's pretty thin compared to Florida. And Forsling/Ekblad, are right up there as the best defensive pair in the playoffs.

If you compare NYR d-core to Oilers', I think it's pretty safe to say that it's better. Fox, Lindgren, Miller, Trouba, Schneider. The Panthers dominated against them and the only thing why it wasn't a 4-0 sweep was Shesterkin, and I'm not even exaggerating. He was absolutely amazing that series. Can Skinner be that in the finals?
This is one way of looking at it, another way is to actually look at how the lines are actually deployed.

RNH-McDavid-Hyman
Mcleod-Draisaitl-Perry
Holloway-Henrique-Kane

Vs

Verhaeghe-Barkov-Reinhart
Tkachuk-Bennett-Rodrigues
Luostarinen-Lundell-Tarasenko

4th lines are a wash, with a slight edge to Edmonton's with how they have been playing in the playoffs.

Florida may have a slight depth advantage when it comes to Edmonton, but we were told the exact same thing before the Dallas series. Although people were saying Dallas had the depth that no team could match. We all saw how that went against Edmonton.

When it comes to defense, it can't be stated enough how solid Edmonton's team defense has been ever since Knoblauch took over. They have been a completely different team, with buy in coming from every player on their roster. It has been superior to the Rangers since the coaching change.

It's been stated before, but I truly believe this series will be decided on how Stuart Skinner performs. If he plays above a .900 sv%, I believe the Oilers win the series.

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Circuit Circus
It's going to be such an exciting finals, can't wait for Saturday. Really worried about that heavy Florida forecheck, hope the boys are prepared.
One thing about the Oilers, is that they play up to their opponents.

But they also play down to their opponents, which I don't think we have to worry about here.

Reactions: Crabapple

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
It's going to be such an exciting finals, can't wait for Saturday. Really worried about that heavy Florida forecheck, hope the boys are prepared.

I don't think their forecheck is that heavy, it's just their intent on it. Unlike every other team in the playoffs I've watched, Florida is willing to chase down and finish checks on the other teams best players. They'll definitely be gameplanning for when Ceci or Bouchard are on the ice.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
What's your point?

I mean, Bourque was the AHL MVP this season, so he's no slouch. I'm sure the Panthers would rather have him on the ice than Okposo.

Also, the Panthers don't exactly have 6 studs on their backend. Dallas had 3-4 d-men back there who were all very good.

Obviously the play of Forsling speaks for itself, but the Panthers don't have a Heiskanen.
My point is I think Fla is deeper than Dallas

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
This series is gonna come down how bad Connor and Leon want to win. Everything else aside if those two decide to go supernova there is nothing any team can do to stop them.
yea like they have to make up their mind......right now they are undecided on "how bad they want to win" ha!

cotopaxi

Feb 2, 2015
This is one way of looking at it, another way is to actually look at how the lines are actually deployed.

RNH-McDavid-Hyman
Mcleod-Draisaitl-Perry
Holloway-Henrique-Kane

Vs

Verhaeghe-Barkov-Reinhart
Tkachuk-Bennett-Rodrigues
Luostarinen-Lundell-Tarasenko

4th lines are a wash, with a slight edge to Edmonton's with how they have been playing in the playoffs.

Florida may have a slight depth advantage when it comes to Edmonton, but we were told the exact same thing before the Dallas series. Although people were saying Dallas had the depth that no team could match. We all saw how that went against Edmonton.

When it comes to defense, it can't be stated enough how solid Edmonton's team defense has been ever since Knoblauch took over. They have been a completely different team, with buy in coming from every player on their roster. It has been superior to the Rangers since the coaching change.

It's been stated before, but I truly believe this series will be decided on how Stuart Skinner performs. If he plays above a .900 sv%, I believe the Oilers win the series.
Well I think Florida's depth is easily matched up against Dallas, especially in the playoffs.

But yeah it'll be really interesting to see how the Edmonton defense handles Florida's pressure and physicality, because it's really intense compared to any other team the Oilers have faced. And Florida does it with every line so I think the Oilers bottom D could get exposed, especially since they have already to some extent. And I think Skinner definitely has to play above .900 to have a chance against Florida.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
yea like they have to make up their mind......right now they are undecided on "how bad they want to win" ha!
You laugh but the Oilers go as far as those two take them. Just ask the Kings the last 3 years how hard it is to stop them when they decide to go 110%

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Manitoba
Well I think Florida's depth is easily matched up against Dallas, especially in the playoffs.

But yeah it'll be really interesting to see how the Edmonton defense handles Florida's pressure and physicality, because it's really intense compared to any other team the Oilers have faced. And Florida does it with every line so I think the Oilers bottom D could get exposed, especially since they have already to some extent. And I think Skinner definitely has to play above .900 to have a chance against Florida.
Again, we've heard this all before.

Not to mention, I'm not sure how you can say they do it with every line... Florida's 4th line has combined for 6 points in the playoffs

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
If you look at the top 6 of both teams

McDavid, Draisaitl, Nuge, Hyman, Kane, McLeod(?)

Barkov, Reinhart, Tkatchuk, Bennett, Verhaege, Rodrigues

Sure the Oilers have the 2 best offensive guys but Florida's top-6 is pretty damn good. Now if you go further down the lineup, I would say Florida's third and fourth line are definitely better than those of Oilers'. Do you disagree?

Oilers' first D-pairing has been really good for them but after that it's pretty thin compared to Florida. And Forsling/Ekblad, are right up there as the best defensive pair in the playoffs.

If you compare NYR d-core to Oilers', I think it's pretty safe to say that it's better. Fox, Lindgren, Miller, Trouba, Schneider. The Panthers dominated against them and the only thing why it wasn't a 4-0 sweep was Shesterkin, and I'm not even exaggerating. He was absolutely amazing that series. Can Skinner be that in the finals?

You could change the names out of Panthers players with equivalent Nuck or Star players the past two series and you could probably find this post almost verbatim across many threads by folks that haven't watched the Oilers. Here's a quick synopsis of where everyone is at today to make things easier for the uninformed:

RNH - McDavid - Hyman - nothing needs to be said here, all 3 are cooking

McLeod - Drai - Perry - Nothing needs to be said about Drai, but McLeod and Perry are up and down with Drai driving the bus. This line might not make it to Game 1 anyways, Foegele is the guy to come in for one of McLeod/Perry

Holloway - Henrique - Kane - Holloway and Henrique are playing fantastic hockey; Holloway in particular having the potential to be an X factor. Kane banged up, but still contributing in a forechecking role with a bit of offence added.

*The middle 6 are the flex lines, Knobaluch moves guys around and in/out of the lineup depending on opponent

Janmark - Ryan/Carrick - Brown - fantastic and not much else needs to be said. Janmark and Brown are giving exactly what you want and more on the 4th line, anyone claiming "bottom 6 sucks" is a tell they haven't watched a second of this line

*Foegele - plays a fast, physical up and down game, but has horrid hands and a wildly inaccurate shot. Likely to come in for one of McLeod/Perry in what will be a more physical series.

To sum up the forward group - with the exception of McLeod, pretty much everyone else is playing great hockey and contributing in their role. We just spent Games 6-7 against the Nucks and the whole series against the Stars just rolling 4 lines. These teams were also purported to be overwhelmingly deeper than the Oilers, but a 4 line roll was more than fine.

Ekholm - Bouchard - nothing needs to be said here, elite of elite performance

Nurse - Kulak - Nurse is the wild card here. He was a total disaster more or less the whole playoff until the media finally skewered him and he's been a revelation since. If he continues in revelation mode he won't be a problem. Kulak steps his game up massively every playoff, and it's been no different this time. A Swiss Army knife that can get plugged into a variety of situations and excels

Broberg - Ceci - Like Nurse, Ceci was in the doldrums until he got moved to a new pair and then has played great since. Broberg has also been outstanding skating and passing pucks out of the D zone efficiently.

*Desharnais - starting throwing pucks around in the Stars series which took him out of the lineup. Possible to come in as a bulwark against the Panther's forecheck, but I think faster moving Broberg is the better option.

It might be tough to hear, but the vaunted "depth"of the Panthers is not in any way materially better or worse than the Oilers unless you haven't been watching and lean on lazy tropes or looking to drive narrative. Each team has strengths in areas and each team has weaknesses in areas in comparison to each other. On the whole it is very close.

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021
I voted Florida in 6. I really hope I am wrong. Would love an Oilers swept and Edmonton kicking some Panthers.

But as much as I hate Florida, they are a really good and balance team. Can't see them lose!

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Instead of trying to denigrate anyone...why not put it like this?

McDavid will eat. He'll get his. That's a given. If FL can shut down everyone else and get decent GT

They have a pretty good shot at winning. Yes?

If McDrai go off...it's gonna be EDM.

Reactions: gretzkyoilers

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I think the success of Floridas forecheck is going to come down to how McDavid and Draisaitl respond to it. If they work and support the defenders down low then I think Edmonton will be able to use their speed to take advantage of an overly aggressive forecheck and they’ll be able to turn the puck up ice quick for some counter attack opportunities. But the flip side of that coin is that in the past both Mcdavid and Draisaitl have been guilty of cheating for chances and being too high in the zone and exiting early leaving defenders outmanned and when that happens opponents tend to get quality chances.

That being said, they’ve really been rounding into their best form as the playoffs have gone on and I expect with a week to prepare, Knoblauch will have them ready for Florida’s aggressive forecheck.

Reactions: K1984

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
Why on earth would that reporter call McDavid overrated lol not like he needs it but it's bulletin board material right there
Cause he a sorry-ass hack looking for attention. He knows shit about everything. That f***ing rag ignored the Panthers for years and years. Even dumped their beat reporter several years ago. f*** the Miami herald, really.

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
lol holy f***, one of the worst arguments ever

1. Connor McDavid is overrated. Boom. He puts up big, impressive stats, yes. Fine. But should he really be called “generational,” called the best player in the sport, when in nine seasons he has yet to lead his team to a Stanley Cup? Edmonton truly had one of those players, once. His name was Wayne Gretzky. He’s why the Oilers bunched five Stanley Cup wins in 1984-90. McDavid? No Gretzky.

He has the requisite nicknames -- McJesus, The Chosen One -- but he has not proved beyond-stats transcendant, able to lift a franchise to ultimate heights. McOverrated.

Read more at: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/greg-cote/article288962840.html#storylink=cpy

HE THINKS GRETZKY WAS PART OF THE 1990 TEAM

THIS DUDE IS A f***ING IDIOT AND FRAUD
He might know something about the Dolphins....but probably just writes click-bait bullshit there, as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad