Proposal: Savard 50% retained to Oilers for '26 1st pick?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
The more time passes, the more I think the Habs will keep Savard and let his contract expire, then hire him as a coach as he retires.
This year, he might be that vet the plays the 7th and is healthy scratched half of the games to keep him fresh and rotate Mailloux &/or Reinbacher in from camp and/or at the end of the season.
I could imagine him getting extended a year or two to play that role over a period of time, with a progressively diminishing role.

Reactions: Chose

Chose

Loyal Habs fan
Aug 4, 2022
Montréal
He is such a leader, such a teacher. He would understand his role and would always be happy in it.
I think this would benefit the Habs the most with that young D.

Reactions: pth2

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
He will be on the list I'm sure. But we don't know who the sellers at the deadline will be. With NHL parity it will be very hard to know for sure
There's not a lot pure rentals available this year and with seemingly every playoff team looking for the same thing the prices are gonna be gross.

A team like the oilers are well aware they need a couple of dmen and as soon as they've accrued enough space they should start trying.
Canucks got Zadorov for peanuts in November but I'm betting he would have gotten more if he was traded later.

I see oilers fans laughing at Savard but something tells me 10 games in when Emberson and who Brown? Are getting walked, oilers fans will change their mind.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
If Edmonton is positioned for another run they can probably get better value for a first.
Problem is the rental market is bare bones, they absolutely can't take on term unless they can move Kane which isn't going to happen.
On top of that despite the brave words from oilers fans, they lost three of their top RHD and replaced them with shit.

People saying Emberson is better than Ceci are insane, if that were even remotely true Grier would not have included him just to get back a third.

I get the oilers can score but man the amount of high-end rubber skinner is gonna see is gonna break the poor kid especially on the pk after losing two very good pkers in Vinny and Ceci. Will Bouchard be killing penalties? Emberson?

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Problem is the rental market is bare bones, they absolutely can't take on term unless they can move Kane which isn't going to happen.
On top of that despite the brave words from oilers fans, they lost three of their top RHD and replaced them with shit.

People saying Emberson is better than Ceci are insane, if that were even remotely true Grier would not have included him just to get back a third.

I get the oilers can score but man the amount of high-end rubber skinner is gonna see is gonna break the poor kid especially on the pk after losing two very good pkers in Vinny and Ceci. Will Bouchard be killing penalties? Emberson?
By not matching the two RFAs Edmonton has given themselves some flexibility so whomever they do get at the TDL doesn’t have to be just a rental.

Reactions: ManByng

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
One of the "top RHD" got bumped out of the lineup entirely by a rookie playing on his off side.

Another "top RHD" is that aforementioned rookie who is not a RHD at all.

If Stecher had been healthy, he would have knocked both out of the line up. He will be healthy this season. (That is not to say that Broberg didn't show that he belonged)

The third "top RHD" was continually bashed by the majority of posters across most fanbases. I personally think the level of criticism he got was unwarranted, but let's not re-write history.

While I won't say that Emberson is better than Ceci, he has shown in an admittedly small sample size that he might be the right partner for Nurse considering the budget that the Oilers have to work with.

Basically, the situation is not good, but there is no need to catasrophize, especially with the new cap flexibility that the Oilers have managed to obtain for the deadline.

Reactions: ManByng

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
It will likley be a low 1st. Probably won't do much better than Savard. Of course if they add to it they easily could.
Every big time rental at the deadline goes for a first plus. Of course they could do better than Savard. They’re a team that has to maximize the value of their first whether they keep it or not. If they’re going to trade it presumably it’s for an impact player. Not Savard.

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
It will likley be a low 1st. Probably won't do much better than Savard. Of course if they add to it they easily could.
One previous 1st was packaged to bring back Ekholm. Another previous 1st was packed for Henrique. Both have become veteran mainstays on the team.

Our last 1st was moved for a prospect closer to being NHL ready compared to if they had used the pick on someone in this draft.

Savard’s value is being overrated. If he brings back a first, it’s very unlikely to be from Edmonton. He’s not the key that pushes the Oilers past nor is he as impactful as every other player that has been targeted for similar value.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad