Proposal: Savard 50% retained to Oilers for '26 1st pick?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
That was three seasons ago, Tell me, do players gain value as they get older?
Savard’s pretty much the same player now as he was then, Bolts also added a 3rd. Really just pointing out you can’t compare year to year, last year was a buyers market

Reactions: viceroy

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Savard’s pretty much the same player now as he was then, Bolts also added a 3rd. Really just pointing out you can’t compare year to year, last year was a buyers market
He played bottom pairing minutes w Tampa on their run as well I believe . His game had already started to slip noticeably even then . And that’s with less wear and tear / continued speed deterioration. I don’t like plus minus as a stat/ indicator but it’s hard not to notice he’s been minus player for 6 years running . Not exactly a calling card of a shut down / defensive d . Turnover machine , gets dominated possession wise , bleeds chances , rarely contributes offensively . There isn’t much there …. But he blocks shots so all good ?

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
He played bottom pairing minutes w Tampa on their run as well I believe . His game had already started to slip noticeably even then . And that’s with less wear and tear / continued speed deterioration. I don’t like plus minus as a stat/ indicator but it’s hard not to notice he’s been minus player for 6 years running . Not exactly a calling card of a shut down / defensive d . Turnover machine , gets dominated possession wise , bleeds chances , rarely contributes offensively . There isn’t much there …. But he blocks shots so all good ?
Yes bottom pairing on a Dynasty team and yet they still paid it. Unless something changes he’s still going to be one of the best RHD available at the TDL. A late 1st isn’t a big price to pay to help solidify your D for a Cup run.

TheKrebsCycle

Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Yes bottom pairing on a Dynasty team and yet they still paid it. Unless something changes he’s still going to be one of the best RHD available at the TDL. A late 1st isn’t a big price to pay to help solidify your D for a Cup run.
Him being one of the best RD available would be in name only . He’s not a difference maker . That’s my point . Wasn’t one in the Tampa run either and that was a better/ younger version of him. Anyway I think this thread has about run its course .

Reactions: PuckG

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Him being one of the best RD available would be in name only . He’s not a difference maker . That’s my point . Wasn’t one in the Tampa run either and that was a better/ younger version of him. Anyway I think this thread has about run its course .
Very thin UFA RHD crop when you look outside those unlikely to move cause their teams are contending. He wouldn’t have got one last year.

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007
I said nearly cooked . And at this stage I think that’s accurate . This is a fairly reasonable response
You weren't watching a lot of David Savard last season if you think he's "nearly cooked". I'm not saying he's an impact player and I'm not saying he's great (he never was that type of player), but he is still a decent player who can contribute to any NHL team. Sixty games, 6-18-24 and -1 on a last place team, often paired with a young defenseman, isn't too bad.

TheKrebsCycle

Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
You weren't watching a lot of David Savard last season if you think he's "nearly cooked". I'm not saying he's an impact player and I'm not saying he's great (he never was that type of player), but he is still a decent player who can contribute to any NHL team. Sixty games, 6-18-24 and -1 on a last place team, often paired with a young defenseman, isn't too bad.
And the previous 4 years he had 7 goals combined …. I’ve seen him plenty. When you are also below average defensively at this point that’s a pretty bad combo . Anyway I’m not gonna continue on w this as it’s pointless .

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Well Savard previously fetched a first from Tampa and we got a first for Chiarot. Comparing trades year to year doesn’t work when markets are different and not all GMs are created equally.

I think a lot of lessons may have been learned by other GM's regarding that trade.

Chiarot got a 1st and it was an AWFUL AWFUL trade for Tampa. One they undoubtedly regret big time.

So I kind of have a hard time buying your justification for Savards value based on that trade imo.

Should McDavid be traded for 15 million bucks, a top line player and some rookies? I guess so.. gretzky was traded for it.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
I think a lot of lessons may have been learned by other GM's regarding that trade.

Chiarot got a 1st and it was an AWFUL AWFUL trade for Tampa. One they undoubtedly regret big time.

So I kind of have a hard time buying your justification for Savards value based on that trade imo.

Should McDavid be traded for 15 million bucks, a top line player and some rookies? I guess so.. gretzky was traded for it.
It was Florida and they would’ve regretted it more if Pittsburgh hadn’t shit the bed to let them back in to the playoffs and then Bruins choked to let them go on their Cup run, ended up being the 31st pick and not mid-teens.

I think you’re giving GMs too much credit for learning from past mistakes.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
There might be a team willing to do that but I'm not sure It's Edmonton.

They already don't have a 2025 1st because they traded it to get a 2024 1st so they could draft Sam O'Rielly.

They are also the oldest team in the league and that was before the Blues stole 2 of their youngest players.

Edmonton has taken some hits recently in terms of prospect and draft capital

Gaud

May 11, 2017
You won't get a 1st for Savard until the deadline. Luckily, there always seems to be a market for 3rd pairing D you can put on defensive missions. Add in the sacrifice, ethic, locker room presence, stanley cup - i think he absolutely gets a first at the TDL.

I think trading Savard will signal the end of the rebuild for the Habs; it'll mean that the D core is matured enough. I expect the habs to be around 90 pts this year, so i wonde if KH holds off on trading him at a time where the habs are still hopeful of making hte playoffs.

DingerMcSlapshot

Dec 1, 2017
You won't get a 1st for Savard until the deadline. Luckily, there always seems to be a market for 3rd pairing D you can put on defensive missions. Add in the sacrifice, ethic, locker room presence, stanley cup - i think he absolutely gets a first at the TDL.

I think trading Savard will signal the end of the rebuild for the Habs; it'll mean that the D core is matured enough. I expect the habs to be around 90 pts this year, so i wonde if KH holds off on trading him at a time where the habs are still hopeful of making hte playoffs.
I think Montreal is closer to the Draft lottery than making the playoffs. Too many holes still. Starting in net.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013

Hopefully not back into the BargainBin ‘anything can happen if you make the playoffs’. All UFAs must go for whatever we can get, sign Savard back in the offseason if you want a vet

Gaud

May 11, 2017
I think Montreal is closer to the Draft lottery than making the playoffs. Too many holes still. Starting in net.
Yeah i gotta say im not super confident on our goaltending so you may be right. Monty may pull off being in the 15-25 range for #1 goalies a few times in his career, but i see him as more of a tandem goalie type; give him 40 and he will have #1 stats, but more and he becomes ineffective.

Primeau doesnt inspire confidence, IMO. He always seems embarassed/shy and says things to the camera that make me facepalm at home. One day he let in 5 goals and told the reporters after the game that the other team had gotten into his head after scoring 3 goals in the same spot (glove side); i couldnt believe he woudl reveal that.

That being said, provided the goalies in place have the same type of performance as last year, i think the addition of Laine, Dach's return, the potential addition and growth of youngsters like Hutson will provide the habs with the extra 7 wins needed to reach 90 pts.

Hopefully not back into the BargainBin ‘anything can happen if you make the playoffs’. All UFAs must go for whatever we can get, sign Savard back in the offseason if you want a vet
yeah .. I've been wanting a rebuild for a long time. Glad it's happening.

The irony here is that Savard may be the type of warrior a team wants to stock up on when they make the playoffs, but the habs will likely trade him at the TDL, especially if Mtl is out of contention.

Reactions: DingerMcSlapshot

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
I love Savard but right now, I don't think he's worth a 1st rd pick anymore.

More like a 2nd + b/c prospect.

And that's at the TD, when big rugged RHD are sought after commodities.

Plus we need him as a veteran presence.

Him and Matheson are the only vets on Habs defensive squad. The rest are 23 yo or younger.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
I love Savard but right now, I don't think he's worth a 1st rd pick anymore.

More like a 2nd + b/c prospect.

And that's at the TD, when big rugged RHD are sought after commodities.

Plus we need him as a veteran presence.

Him and Matheson are the only vets on Habs defensive squad. The rest are 23 yo or younger.
When Habs won in 93 this was their principal defense group with ages
Eric Desjardins age 23,
Mathieu schneider age 23
Patrice Brisebois age 21
Kevin Haller age 21
Lyle Odelin age 24
JJ Daignault was the grizzled veteran presence at age 26

They added veteran Rob Ramage (age 33) at deadline - only played 7 of 20 playoff games. Donald Dufrense age 25 got into a couple of games and sean Hill age 22 got into a couple as well.

Reactions: Top cheese Gaz

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Either now or at deadline. Oilers lost 3 D-men off their roster. Habs have extra D. Reinbacher likely make team at some point this season.

Veteran D like Savard who has a ring at 1.75 million. It's good deal for Edmonton

I had to go back three pages to find the last post from Oiler fans.

The last two pages have been independent fans telling Habs fans Savard isn't worth a 1st at this stage in his career and Habs fans defending their guy based on past mistakes of other GMs.

The last three firsts (or 1st equivalent) we traded netted us 4 years(+) of Ekholm, effectively three years of Adam Henrique and an earlier 1st (O'Reilly).

All of those were calculated moves... this would not be.

... I think you have your answer.

Reactions: PuckG and spaghtti

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Terrible trade for the Oilers. I can't see Savard having that kind of value.

If Stan Bowman deals for a RHD at the trade deadline and a 1st is in play, I'd prefer he go after a guy like Artyom Zub, but trying to pry him out of Ottawa would be pretty tough. It would have to be a deal that Steve Staois couldn't really say no to. He has history with Edmonton so maybe he'd listen to a good offer.

At $4.6 Million AAV Zub would be exactly what the Oilers need to shore up their back end on the right side.

I mean

Ekholm - Bouchard
Nurse - Zub
Kulak - Brown/Stecher/Emberson

is a decent group for a deep playoff run.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I had to go back three pages to find the last post from Oiler fans.

The last two pages have been independent fans telling Habs fans Savard isn't worth a 1st at this stage in his career and Habs fans defending their guy based on past mistakes of other GMs.

The last three firsts (or 1st equivalent) we traded netted us 4 years(+) of Ekholm, effectively three years of Adam Henrique and an earlier 1st (O'Reilly).

All of those were calculated moves... this would not be.

... I think you have your answer.
I got the no. It's okay Savard good player for us

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
Better chance at getting value for Savard at TDL and also youll get a better response from other teams if you make the post at TDL.

Reactions: Scintillating10

Chose

Loyal Habs fan
Aug 4, 2022
Montréal
The more time passes, the more I think the Habs will keep Savard and let his contract expire, then hire him as a coach as he retires.
This year, he might be that vet that plays the 7th and is healthy scratched half of the games to keep him fresh and rotate Mailloux &/or Reinbacher in from camp and/or at the end of the season.

Last edited:
Reactions: jsol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad