Proposal: Savard 50% retained to Oilers for '26 1st pick?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Exceptions don’t make the rule . His play would need to improve vastly to be in that range. Much better d went for less last year .
All it takes is injury to right team. They get desperate. Plus Habs generally retain thereby increasing their value.
Not really magic how we do it.

I Show you example how we do it. Habs were only team had caproom for Monahan. So charged Flames a first. Gave him chance to play, prove he's healthy then flipped him again at a third his salary with Flames. Lower the salary the more value a players has.

• Wow
Reactions: Xirik

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
All it takes is injury to right team. They get desperate. Plus Habs generally retain thereby increasing their value.
Not really magic how we do it.

I Show you example how we do it. Habs were only team had caproom for Monahan. So charged Flames a first. Gave him chance to play, prove he's healthy then flipped him again at a third his salary with Flames. Lower the salary the more value a players has.
What does that have to do with Savard or anything I’ve said ? We lol , were you involved ?

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
What does that have to do with Savard or anything I’ve said ? We lol , were you involved ?
Defensemen like Savard generally have highest value at trade deadline. He was rental before traded for a first,, so no doubt about value. Habs retain on him if they trade him. But Montreal might be in playoff race this year. Not like other years

TheKrebsCycle

Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Defensemen like Savard generally have highest value at trade deadline. He was rental before traded for a first,, so no doubt about value. Habs retain on him if they trade him. But Montreal might be in playoff race this year. Not like other years
Unlikely but possible. But I’d put the chances of playoffs above getting a 1 st for this dinosaur . He was traded 3 seasons ago and he’s just continued to get worse . The trade was seen as poor value even then . Tampa was so good it didn’t matter. They won despite his limitations

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Unlikely but possible. But I’d put the chances of playoffs above getting a 1 st for this dinosaur . He was traded 3 seasons ago and he’s just continued to get worse . The trade was seen as poor value even then . Tampa was so good it didn’t matter. They won despite his limitations
Some Montreal fans want him extended. As veteran bottom pairing. Savard valuable to Habs young defense. They say be good playing behind Reinbacher and Mailloux on right side. Guhle eventually goes back to his natural side. About 50/50 they trade Savard. A 2nd won't get it done though

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Tanev with a cheaper contract then Savard at 50% retained got Calgary a 2nd round pick from Dallas and a depth defense prospect.

Tanev is better in then Savard.

Yeah, Chiarot for a 1st was a terrible trade, especially considering Tanev was traded for a 2nd.

One would think Tanev is the new benchmark.

But then what are the alternatives likely to be?

TheKrebsCycle

Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Yeah, Chiarot for a 1st was a terrible trade, especially considering Tanev was traded for a 2nd.

One would think Tanev is the new benchmark.

But then what are the alternatives likely to be?
Chiarot is a cautionary tale for all GMs ; not to be repeated . The above is exactly why a 1 st is a silly suggestion . Tanev is vastly and I mean vastly better player .

Reactions: spaghtti

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Why would the Predators want or need Savard? And how do they fit him under the cap?
We don't, its just someone that knows nothing about our team throwing things out there.

We have Luke Schenn who is our version of Savard already, we don't need another one.

The reason Trotz hasn't traded Fabbro is for this very reason, he doesn't need to bring in a filler RHD because he already has one on the bench in either Fabbro, Schenn, or Del Galzo.

Reactions: CanadienShark

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
We don't, its just someone that knows nothing about our team throwing things out there.

We have Luke Schenn who is our version of Savard already, we don't need another one.

The reason Trotz hasn't traded Fabbro is for this very reason, he doesn't need to bring in a filler RHD because he already has one on the bench in either Fabbro, Schenn, or Del Galzo.
Yep, sounds about right. While I'd argue Savard is better than Schenn, the upgrade isn't worth the price of acquisition by any stretch. Savard is an unnecessary luxury for you guys and I don't see the point, especially for a 1st.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Yep, sounds about right. While I'd argue Savard is better than Schenn, the upgrade isn't worth the price of acquisition by any stretch. Savard is an unnecessary luxury for you guys and I don't see the point, especially for a 1st.
Well and its possible that we see Josi on the right side this season, making that depth a little better anyways.

I'd also argue Savard and Schenn are the same player. Schenn had a bad start, but a lot of that was due to how Brunette wanted his guys to play, which apparently took footwork that Schenn had a hard time adjusting too cause he wasn't used to it. The more he played the more stable he got. On a playoff team neither should be playing more than the 3rd pairing.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Well and its possible that we see Josi on the right side this season, making that depth a little better anyways.

I'd also argue Savard and Schenn are the same player. Schenn had a bad start, but a lot of that was due to how Brunette wanted his guys to play, which apparently took footwork that Schenn had a hard time adjusting too cause he wasn't used to it. The more he played the more stable he got. On a playoff team neither should be playing more than the 3rd pairing.
Fair enough. Slight difference of opinion on those players, but we can agree that such a trade makes no sense for Nashville on multiple levels.

Reactions: Armourboy

TheKrebsCycle

Jun 1, 2011
Barrie

Would anyone in their right minds deal a 1 st for Schenn (returned a 3 rd last year fyi ) ? And he’s arguably more effective and certainly more physical .

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Jan 24, 2007
Oilers already traded their 2025 1st for Sam O'Reilly for no reason, so they need to wait things out before cashing in their 2026 1st. They need to see where their holes are at the deadline at the earliest before making such a move.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Oilers already traded their 2025 1st for Sam O'Reilly for no reason, so they need to wait things out before cashing in their 2026 1st. They need to see where their holes are at the deadline at the earliest before making such a move.
A competent GM would wait until the deadline before considering giving away a 1st. Bowman is not competent but even he is unlikely to move a 1st before the deadline.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Chiarot is a cautionary tale for all GMs ; not to be repeated . The above is exactly why a 1 st is a silly suggestion . Tanev is vastly and I mean vastly better player .
You’d think GM’s would learn the lesson about paying for crap off the garbage pile that is the Montreal Canadiens. Bad team that takes bad players and pumps them up by playing them in spots they aren’t good enough to play in on good teams. It’s easy for bad players to look good when there’s no pressure, different story when you’re on a team that’s actually trying to win. Hughes is the NHL version of a used car salesman.

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
Sorry yes 2023 . My mistake

It's cool friend, we know you're foaming at the mouth to find anything to use to bash the Habs. It's to be expected.

You’d think GM’s would learn the lesson about paying for crap off the garbage pile that is the Montreal Canadiens. Bad team that takes bad players and pumps them up by playing them in spots they aren’t good enough to play in on good teams. It’s easy for bad players to look good when there’s no pressure, different story when you’re on a team that’s actually trying to win. Hughes is the NHL version of a used car salesman.

Tell us what you really feel amigo. Yeah it's such a disgusting organization right? Just a bunch of shysters right? Give your head a shake, this is a competition not tea time.

TheKrebsCycle

Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
It's cool friend, we know you're foaming at the mouth to find anything to use to bash the Habs. It's to be expected.

Tell us what you really feel amigo. Yeah it's such a disgusting organization right? Just a bunch of shysters right? Give your head a shake, this is a competition not tea time.
My post was literally about Luke Schenn . But sure put your nose where it doesn’t belong . Foaming at the mouth ? Are you ok ? Projecting ?

Reactions: Xirik

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad