Proposal: Savard 50% retained to Oilers for '26 1st pick?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Why? #4/5 D fetch 1st rounders at deadline fairly regularly. He was already traded for a 1st last time he was impending UFA.
3 years ago bro ( even then it was a poor deal ) . Time has not been kind . He’s more a 6 at this point if that, on most competitive teams . Guy isn’t effective by any metric nor the eye test . I think it’ll be a miracle if he garners a 2 nd . Anyway that’s it for me . Guess we’ll wait till the deadline to see who’s right .

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
3 years ago bro ( even then it was a poor deal ) . Time has not been kind . He’s more a 6 at this point if that, on most competitive teams . Guy isn’t effective by any metric nor the eye test . I think it’ll be a miracle if he garners a 2 nd . Anyway that’s it for me . Guess we’ll wait till the deadline to see who’s right .
He’s actually playing better now than the season he got traded to the Bolts and the stat line supports that.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
He’s actually playing better now than the season he got traded to the Bolts and the stat line supports that.
Why because he scored 6 goals after lighting the lamp 7 times over the past 4 years combined ? He gets caved in defensively, gives up chances like Candy , chasing the play constantly … if you’re hoping for more than absolutely minimal offense I think you’ll be sorely disappointed . Guess we’ll see ( assuming he gets traded / someone ends up wanting him )

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Why because he scored 6 goals after lighting the lamp 7 times over the past 4 years combined ? He gets caved in defensively, gives up chances like Candy , chasing the play constantly … if you’re hoping for more than absolutely minimal offense I think you’ll be sorely disappointed . Guess we’ll see ( assuming he gets traded / someone ends up wanting him )
Not sure about bringing goals up for a d-man but he was tied with Seider and Sanderson for EVP last season in 20 less games played and - 1 on a team with a -50 goal differential often paired with rookies.

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC
He’s already been in decline. All of his underlying numbers - except, weirdly, his offence - show a guy that’s simply not as good as he used to be.

I think on a contender he’s a #5 at best.
For a team that wants experience and leadership, he adds more value than just looking at the advanced stats.

Not that I disagree with you, but this is the kind of player GMs don't mind overspending for playoff runs.

Reactions: viceroy

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007
And the previous 4 years he had 7 goals combined …. I’ve seen him plenty. When you are also below average defensively at this point that’s a pretty bad combo . Anyway I’m not gonna continue on w this as it’s pointless .
You stated that you're not going to continue on this, but then had three more posts on this subject Friday and eight more responses Saturday. I'm still not believing you watched much of David Savard last season. Either that, or you saw only what you wanted to see.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
I don't care who's right, it's the comment saying he'll get a 1st at deadline is bad look for Habs fans is what I'm commenting on.

Not sure what Savard you're watching but he's the same guy he was when he signed with Montreal. He's actually playing more minutes and points last 3 years than he did in the 3 years he did prior to being acquired for a 1st. You make it sound like he was some good top 4 guy. He was never really that good to begin with but can be a gritty experienced 18-20min RD with cup experience that playoff teams love to have for playoff runs. Teams trade 1sts for these guys all the time. Chiarot is another example from Montreal.

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
They would fill the exact same spot on the Preds, 3rd pairing Vet leadership that chews up some PK time here and there. Don't need two of those guys.
maybe on the preds you'd use Savard like that, but Schenn on the Habs wouldn't get the same respect.

i get it tho, Savard is old and banged up - still has more to offer than Schenn

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
maybe on the preds you'd use Savard like that, but Schenn on the Habs wouldn't get the same respect.

i get it tho, Savard is old and banged up - still has more to offer than Schenn
They are both old and banged up, that's why they are both 3rd pairing guys on good teams.

BJCOLLINS

Jul 7, 2003
Pirate Satellite
You’d think GM’s would learn the lesson about paying for crap off the garbage pile that is the Montreal Canadiens. Bad team that takes bad players and pumps them up by playing them in spots they aren’t good enough to play in on good teams. It’s easy for bad players to look good when there’s no pressure, different story when you’re on a team that’s actually trying to win. Hughes is the NHL version of a used car salesman.

Yeah but Hughes owns the dealership, lol. Anyone that disrespects the Habs GM & the moves he’s made should be discussing soccer or ping pong? Hockeys not your game.

Some have a hard time understanding player value at TDL. Playoff teams that are close will disregard off-season value when the cup is (seemingly) within their grasp.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Savard is still useful as of last year but it's always buyer beware when a guy has entered his mid 30s.

Montreal also has to consider that savard and Matheson are their only dmen who are past their 1st and 2nd nhl seasons.

But if he's made available and if he's still holding up, then he should garner decent interest at the deadline.

Reactions: double5son10

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Savard is still useful as of last year but it's always buyer beware when a guy has entered his mid 30s.

Montreal also has to consider that savard and Matheson are their only dmen who are past their 1st and 2nd nhl seasons.

But if he's made available and if he's still holding up, then he should garner decent interest at the deadline.
I doubt Montreal trades him any less than a late 1st. Habs thin on right side and he is character veteran.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Yeah but Hughes owns the dealership, lol. Anyone that disrespects the Habs GM & the moves he’s made should be discussing soccer or ping pong? Hockeys not your game.

Some have a hard time understanding player value at TDL. Playoff teams that are close will disregard off-season value when the cup is (seemingly) within their grasp.
No disrespect to Hughes, he’s doing the best he can with the junk he’s got. My comment had nothing to do with value, it was about not buying bad players who’ve been pumped by a bad team but never move the needle on actual good teams.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Or we severely underpaid for Laine when produces 40 goals and near PPG. It would be hilarious when we look back and realized Harris returned a superstar winger + 2nd round pick! LOL

Ceci meanwhile is a capdump as evidenced by the trade made by Bowman. They had to pay to dump him. Why? Because he's an overpaid bottom pairing dman. Bowman knew is and dumped him as soon as he could which was a very good move on his part. Its obvious Bowman knows the player better than your ridiculous take on Ceci.
Ceci might very well have value again come TDL. Even more likely if the Sharks are willing to retain. Teams are aiming high during the summer and most of the contenders are cap strap after signing their top guns. Which makes depth guys like Ceci very unattractive to them. It's another story come TDL. They then use all the remaining cap they have to acquire depth guys.

Reactions: pth2

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
I don't think we will be getting a 1st this year pals. Chiarot was in top 5 in goals for dmen the year we traded him. Savard might be in the top 5 for blocked shots but that's about it.

2nd is the max we will get maybe 2nd + 4th at the TDL or something like that.

He's probably worth a 3rd + mid round pick

A 1st would be robbery.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
I don't think we will be getting a 1st this year pals. Chiarot was in top 5 in goals for dmen the year we traded him. Savard might be in the top 5 for blocked shots but that's about it.

2nd is the max we will get maybe 2nd + 4th at the TDL or something like that.

He's probably worth a 3rd + mid round pick

A 1st would be robbery.
Expecting a 1st would be overoptimistic, but deadline deals can be strange. A 2nd seems a safer bet, but you never know.

I'd rather see him extended, though.

BJCOLLINS

Jul 7, 2003
Pirate Satellite
No disrespect to Hughes, he’s doing the best he can with the junk he’s got. My comment had nothing to do with value, it was about not buying bad players who’ve been pumped by a bad team but never move the needle on actual good teams.

Junk?? Do you have any understanding of value or what it takes to make an NHL squad??

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Junk?? Do you have any understanding of value or what it takes to make an NHL squad??
So does it take the same to make a team like the Florida Panthers or Dallas Stara as it does to make a team like the Canadiens or Sharks?

Even at the highest levels of sport, there’s a spectrum. Teams with good players, win and they make the playoffs and compete for championships. Team with bad players lose, finish in 28th place and they trade off their JUNK because you don’t get better with bad players.

BJCOLLINS

Jul 7, 2003
Pirate Satellite
So does it take the same to make a team like the Florida Panthers or Dallas Stara as it does to make a team like the Canadiens or Sharks?

Even at the highest levels of sport, there’s a spectrum. Teams with good players, win and they make the playoffs and compete for championships. Team with bad players lose, finish in 28th place and they trade off their JUNK because you don’t get better with bad players.
You’re getting there…teams make trades, based on value (players & picks)..…to improve their club.
No junk, just different skill sets.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
You’re getting there…teams make trades, based on value (players & picks)..…to improve their club.
No junk, just different skill sets.
Well I hope you enjoy another loser season with all those “different skill sets” that are so valuable.

Canadiens cast offs aren’t helping anyone win a cup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad