Proposal: Savard 50% retained to Oilers for '26 1st pick?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
sure, when all the other available RD are already traded and off the market.
What all 2-3 of them?

And Savard at this point in time is a defensive dynamo?? I doubt the Oilers are gonna make this trade with the PTO's their going to offer, plus there's been rumours here that the Oilers have enquired about Dante Fabbro from Nashville as he could be the odd man out there and he's better defensively than all of them, is a UFA after this year so may not cost the Oilers a ton to get, and is only making $2.5 mil for this coming season.
I don’t expect he goes to the Oil but someone will pay a 1st

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
What all 2-3 of them?

I don’t expect he goes to the Oil but someone will pay a 1st
right now yeah but usually by the deadline the teams that are out of the playoff race add their players to the list. If Savard gets traded its going to be a late in the day one where some GM has lost out on their 1st and 2nd choices and still wants an upgrade.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Cause none of those 3 play defense well?

In a vacuum Savard isn’t worth a 1st, but it will be a sellers market for RHD at the TDL, low cap hit with retention, Cup ring, good PKr, clears the crease well, ideally a 3rd pairing D but can fill in Top 4, GMs won’t be able to stop themselves
David Savard is one of the worst penalty killers in hockey at this point

Screenshot 2024-08-24 at 5.06.29 PM.png

These are players by xGoal differential on the PK the last 2 years. Savard is dead last, and not by a small margin either

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
24th in blocked shots is something to be proud of.
I think a team is going to pay up for Savard, and it might be the oilers (because Larsson won't waive), simply because of how piss poor the RHD rental market is.

But he is f***ing atrocious at this point.

I'd rather have Codi Ceci.

Any team looking for a RHD this year is going to sorely regret passing on the opportunity to grab John Marino for a pair of 2nds

Reactions: ManByng and Xirik

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
David Savard is one of the worst penalty killers in hockey at this point

View attachment 902973
These are players by xGoal differential on the PK the last 2 years. Savard is dead last, and not by a small margin either
You got me there, advanced stats for a guy doing most of the heavy lifting on one of the worst teams in the league paired usually with rookies, playing in front of basically rookie goalies for more or less rookie coaches

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
You got me there, advanced stats for a guy doing most of the heavy lifting on one of the worst teams in the league paired usually with rookies, playing in front of basically rookie goalies for more or less rookie coaches
Yep, david savard has it worse than every other dman in the league by far. Why do the dmen he plays with all have better PK numbers than him?

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Is Matheson any good at defence?

Maybe the Oilers will take him instead.

When he's commited to defense, he's good, but man, the turn overs he gives are maddening

People who bitched in the past about Subban giving turn overs are now dead of a heart attack because of what Matheson does

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
No one is saying David Savard is a great player. Savard is a solid player who could help out any team, preferably on a third pair. Savard, even with retention, isn't getting a 1st-round pick at this time. I wouldn't predict Savard even returns a 1st at TDL, but you never know. He will get something back for Montreal (should they trade him) because he's not "cooked" and still has something to offer as a player.
I said nearly cooked . And at this stage I think that’s accurate . This is a fairly reasonable response

TheKrebsCycle

Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Is
24th in blocked shots is something to be proud of.
Is it though ? Typically the guys that have a ton of blocks and hits are chasing the play/ getting badly out possessed . I admire his guts but this isn’t a depiction of effective play .

Last edited:
Reactions: Xirik

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Yep, david savard has it worse than every other dman in the league by far. Why do the dmen he plays with all have better PK numbers than him?
Well Matheson is number 2 on your list and Guhle not far behind, who gets to defend PP#1?

We also have Evans and Armia generally as the PK forwards, not exactly Selke material.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I think a team is going to pay up for Savard, and it might be the oilers (because Larsson won't waive), simply because of how piss poor the RHD rental market is.

But he is f***ing atrocious at this point.

I'd rather have Codi Ceci.

Any team looking for a RHD this year is going to sorely regret passing on the opportunity to grab John Marino for a pair of 2nds
Man pick up the remote once in a while. The fact you think Savard is worse than Cody Ceci is outstanding. What a terrible opinion.

What? You take a 1st for him and run if it’s offered.

David Savard ain’t making or breaking the Canadiens season.
A first is nothing in the grand scheme of things for the Habs at this point. We're past the pick acquisition phase. Savard is the only NHL RD the team has, its quitting on the team to trade him away. I'd much rather trade Matheson. A first is a lot but he should retain that value in his second contract. What's gonna happen, he's gonna lose his feet ? He was always one of the slowest player in the league.

TheKrebsCycle

Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Man pick up the remote once in a while. The fact you think Savard is worse than Cody Ceci is outstanding. What a terrible opinion.

A first is nothing in the grand scheme of things for the Habs at this point. We're past the pick acquisition phase. Savard is the only NHL RD the team has, its quitting on the team to trade him away. I'd much rather trade Matheson. A first is a lot but he should retain that value in his second contract. What's gonna happen, he's gonna lose his feet ? He was always one of the slowest player in the league.
They are two of the least effective right shooting d in the NHL so it’s really semantics as to who is the actual worst .

TheKrebsCycle

Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
They are not alike at all. Savard is still a 2nd pairing Dman. Ceci was never even a 2nd pairing D.
I didn’t say they are alike . I said neither were effective. Ceci has played up in the lineup when he shouldn’t , just like Savard .

TheKrebsCycle

Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Just say you don't watch hockey, it's fine.
Dude get a clue . Get the homer glasses off . He’s a run of the mill bottom pair guy on most teams. That’s just a fact . Unless you’re going to give me some sort of context / evidence / stats etc that proves otherwise stay in your lane

Alike in quality. They are not. Savard is actually effective.
What’s he effective at . Anything quantifiable or just Hab fans say so ?

Reactions: Bluenotes27

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Dude get a clue . Get the homer glasses off . He’s a run of the mill bottom pair guy on most teams. That’s just a fact . Unless you’re going to give me some sort of context / evidence / stats etc that proves otherwise stay in your lane

What’s he effective at . Anything quantifiable or just Hab fans say so ?
You can't quantify a #4 Ds performance playing on a team like the Habs. Watch him play then come back.

• Haha
Reactions: thefutures

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Tanev with a cheaper contract then Savard at 50% retained got Calgary a 2nd round pick from Dallas and a depth defense prospect.

Tanev is better in then Savard.
Well Savard previously fetched a first from Tampa and we got a first for Chiarot. Comparing trades year to year doesn’t work when markets are different and not all GMs are created equally.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad