Value of: Ryan Nugent-Hopkins to Carolina

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
You're joking, right?
Oilers top line is Lucic/McDavid/Eberle
Second line is
Pouliot/RNH/ Maroon

Pou-RNH-Ebs
Lucic-McDavid-Yak
Maroon-Drai-Puljujarvi

Pou-RNH-Ebs was Oilers top line when Nelson coached the team

vipernsx

Flatus Expeller
Sep 4, 2005
IMO Carolina would be better served starting with Murphy over Fluery and adding from there. Murphy can step into the NHL now and continue to develop playing sheltered minutes on the 3rd pair so it could work better for Edmonton as well. I believe with most blueliners they should spend a season in the A logging big minutes playing in all roles, rather than rushed to the NHL too soon.

At this point Faulk > Jones, and at the time the trade was made Faulk >> Jones

Faulk's an established #1, Jones just broke out in to a top pairing guy last year after the trade. Before that he was a #5 in Nashville.

Faulk's a stud and better in both ends over Jones. Jones has the potential, but Faulk is already on the cusp of being a Norris candidate. That said, #5 in Nashville is #3 or better on most teams and Jones is still damn good.
If 2 way #2 centers could land #1D then Dubinsky would have been traded for Faulk.

Say what you want but RNH is a younger Dubinsky, can play as a 1C but is a good 2C.
Idk, I luv Dubi, a lot, though I gotta give the edge to RNH here. RNH has a skillset that Dubi just doesn't have. Dubi's got the size and compete that RNH doesn't have. Put em both together and you've got a #1 pivot. Put them both on a serious cup contending team and Dubi is an elite #3C who can slide up to #2 when needed while RNH is a solid #2C.

Last edited:

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
How is that relevant to my statement that 99% of what people post here is opinion and not fact? :huh:

Is it opinion that Adam Larsson has equivalent trade value to that of Taylor Hall, or is it fact that can prove that wrong? It's essentially the same thing as asking if RNH has the trade value of Justin Faulk.

We're talking in a "value of" thread. And sure, 99% of everyone's statement's are opinion, but that doesn't mean we can't prove them wrong with fact.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Is it opinion that Adam Larsson has equivalent trade value to that of Taylor Hall, or is it fact that can prove that wrong? It's essentially the same thing as asking if RNH has the trade value of Justin Faulk.

No, it's not the same thing. You are trying to compare a trade that actually happened under different situations to a hypothetical proposal with 2 different players under a different situation. It's not the same thing, but that's still irrelevant. A players true value is simply what a GM will accept for him and it's not done in a vacuum, it takes each teams situation into account.

We're talking in a "value of" thread. And sure, 99% of everyone's statement's are opinion, but that doesn't mean we can't prove them wrong with fact.

No, you can't prove him/her wrong on an opinion of value. Until a guy is traded, saying value is x or y or z is all opinion, and not fact. So you telling the poster that his comment is opinion and not fact is really kind of silly, because that's what everyone's view on value is, opinion. You can bring facts in an attempt to provide a differing opinion, or to question his/her opinion, but you aren't proving anyone wrong. You are just offering a different opinion.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
IMO Carolina would be better served starting with Murphy over Fluery and adding from there. Murphy can step into the NHL now and continue to develop playing sheltered minutes on the 3rd pair so it could work better for Edmonton as well. I believe with most blueliners they should spend a season in the A logging big minutes playing in all roles, rather than rushed to the NHL too soon.

Faulk's a stud and better in both ends over Jones. Jones has the potential, but Faulk is already on the cusp of being a Norris candidate. That said, #5 in Nashville is #3 or better on most teams and Jones is still damn good.

Idk, I luv Dubi, a lot, though I gotta give the edge to RNH here. RNH has a skillset that Dubi just doesn't have. Dubi's got the size and compete that RNH doesn't have. Put em both togethuer and you've got a #1 pivot. Put them both on a serious cup contending team and Dubi is an elite #3C who can slide up to #2 when needed while RNH is a solid #2C.

I disagree, look at their production just last year. I see Duby = RNH but RNH has the potential to have more scoring ability. As of now he's a 2C.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Hanfifin+ for RNH? I know Faulk is out of the equation and I don't really see anything else on the Canes that the Oilers would want.

Slavin is a potential top-pairing D that plays both sides. Personally I think he will end up being better than both Hanifin and Faulk. Which makes him untouchable, but the point remains.

RNH doesn't even come close to netting Edmonton Hanifin at this point (age, position, contract, guaranteed years, potential, there being zero need on Carolina's end to add another 2C, etc.). Hanifin for Draisatl is probably near fair value, but neither team makes that trade until they know more about what they have.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Not Hanifin or Faulk. Oilers would have to add if they wanted one of those 2. Fleury + 2nd in 2017 is fair value imo, but don't really know what canes fans needs are.

cbzblaze

Nov 26, 2015
Calgary
The 2017 1st is irrelevant for the Hurricanes. They have one of the best prospect pools outside of WPG.

Faulk is the player the Hurricanes are building their entire franchise around. They're trying to get back in playoff contention and stay there for many years. But the hardest part is making the initial jump. Trading Faulk for lesser pieces and futures does nothing for them. Except set their playoff arrival back about 3 years.

They'll probably name him captain for this upcoming season.

Pesce+ is a far more realistic target for EDM for RNH.

If the oilers move RNH, they would want a center capable of playing 3rd line minutes.

I would think something along the lines of:
Lindholm + Pesce for RNH + ?

I've been impressed by Pesce, in the limited time I've seen him play.
I don't think the canes are moving Faulk or Hannifin.
A deal like this would probably have to wait till next offseason, after the expansion draft.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Not Hanifin or Faulk. Oilers would have to add if they wanted one of those 2. Fleury + 2nd in 2017 is fair value imo, but don't really know what canes fans needs are.

funny stuff..

Might just be enough for Matthews ;)

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
You are one of those EXPERTS,
who thinks Dmen's offence is critical to winning games.

take the top 27 Even goals scoring D last year.
the 27th scored 6 EVG goals.
they scored a total of 212 EVG

Now take the forwards who scored 6+ EVG
272 fwds
that is a total of 3040 EVG.

of the top 299 EVG scorers
212/3252 6.5% of EVG are from Dmen.

So you may think Dmens offence is important.\

I think!
Pass the forwards the D....... Puck.

When you look at the 2nd WC slot
on avg you need a record of 42W 28L 12 SO/OTL

it takes 1GF to beat 0GF
2 GF to beat 1 GF
etc.

if you special teams break even goal dif wise.
then your forwards need to outscore the EVGA by .30 EVGF/60

Larsson 1.35 EVGA/60 last year
so 1.85+ EVGF/60 forwards are needed.
to have a shot at WC spot.
274 forwards can outscore his defensive play fro a chance at WC

Faulk 2.90 EVGA/60 last year
3.20 EVGF/60 forwards are needed..
last year 9 forwards could out score his defence for a chance at WC

i never said that a "dmans offense is critical to winning games", dunno where you got that from.. but i do agree with that statement :laugh: (as long as said dman isnt a tire-fire defensively).

a legit #1 dman is a player who can play big minutes vs tough opposition (and perform well) and produce offensively, Chia said theres about 12 of them in the league.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Fleury + 2nd in 2017 is fair value imo, but don't really know what canes fans needs are.

Ignoring value for a moment, with Klefbom, Sekera, Nurse, Davidson, Reinhart, all as lefties, the Oilers have little need for an unproven LHD right now.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
canes offer fleury+
oilers ask for faulk
thread it rightfully over.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
Wasn't interested from a Canes standpoint even before I saw Oilers fans asking again for Faulk. (I get it since that's their need, but it's still a crazy ask.) RNH is just a guy I do not want unless the price is ridiculously-low.

I don't see him being an improvement on what we have...a glut of 2Cs with nobody that looks like a 1C. RNH also doesn't seem to have 1C upside anymore either.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Faulk is a bottom 20 HSCA D.
that is non playoff Defence.
Just awful defensive Dman.

he would cancel out PC trading Hall for the best Def d in the game the last 2 years.

Faulk!
he plays lottery D!

His HSCA would likely be significantly improved with softer minutes and heightened PP time with Connor McDavid.

Regardless, Faulk is worth significantly more than RNH. My point is that Carolina would have to have Faulk on the table for Edmonton to consider coughing up RNH.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad