Value of: Ryan Nugent-Hopkins to Carolina

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Oilers also have Sekera with his NMC signed til the end of days.
Factor in Davidson, Reinhart and the expansion draft and adding another unproven LHD isnt really ideal.

I forgot about the draft. It would be a good trade for after the draft though. Maybe it's just me but hanifin already proved more than Davidson and Reinhart in his first year, he's a slam dunk top 2-3 in 2 years I would say

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Yea right, nice joke. Faulk got sub 50% o-zone starts this year and the quality of competition he faced was 10x harder than Jones, HERO charts don't tell you that tho.

When Jones got traded he was playing behind Josi and Weber for his entire career, Faulk on the other hand has been on the frontline. He's been getting tough minutes and he's been producing.

so what? his "entire career" is still pretty new. Are you trying to say that Jones wont be very very good all around Dman in the NHL ??

Hero charts, zone starts, QoC only go so far... Is Brandon friggin Davidson of Oilers a better player than Jones? Is Klefbom better than Faulk?

Jones is going to be a beast to play against and Faulk has his moments defensively.

With the addition of Larsson it is a no brainer that the Oilers would prefer Faulk over Jones but if that was Vatanen instead of Larsson the Oilers would have easily wanted Jones over Faulk on the team.

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
RNH: 313GP 222pts
R Johansen: 351GP 227pts

So the last time a 2nd line C like RNH was traded was the last season and it returned a Dman on par with Faulk.

I dont think RNH by himself can land Faulk but just pointing out the error in your claim.
so with that post, you are comparing Seth Jones to J. Faulk...? :handclap:

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
I forgot about the draft. It would be a good trade for after the draft though. Maybe it's just me but hanifin already proved more than Davidson and Reinhart in his first year, he's a slam dunk top 2-3 in 2 years I would say

for sure.. Hanifin has franchise potential and would probably already be Oilers' #1Dman as early as next season. This is the main reason why some Oilers fans want him in deals ... When you have elite potential team needs take a side step.

Canes are loaded on the wing but some fans would still be drooling over adding Puljujarvi if it was ever proposed.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
so what? his "entire career" is still pretty new. Are you trying to say that Jones wont be very very good all around Dman in the NHL ??

Hero charts, zone starts, QoC only go so far... Is Brandon friggin Davidson of Oilers a better player than Jones? Is Klefbom better than Faulk?

Jones is going to be a beast to play against and Faulk has his moments defensively.

With the addition of Larsson it is a no brainer that the Oilers would prefer Faulk over Jones but if that was Vatanen instead of Larsson the Oilers would have easily wanted Jones over Faulk on the team.

No, you said that Jones is equal if not better than Faulk defensively and i said that you're wrong. You can't make that argument when Jones has been sheltered throughout his career.

Faulk gets tough defensive minutes and Carolina's roster is garbage which hurts his possession stats, people who use HERO charts assume that means hes a bad defensive player, wrong.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
yup

ahaan .. yet this thread gets started with Fluery.
COL can probably find a better use for Fleury than Edmonton who are stacked on the left side.

This thread got started by a Canes fan who rarely, if ever posts in the Canes forum and makes a bunch of, usually pretty bad, trade proposals. Every fan base has guys like that. Pretty much EVERY Canes fan recognizes that Fleury is a LHD, not proven enough and not a need for Edmonton.

That still doesn't mean Canes want to trade Faulk or Hanifin for RNH.

TheOllieC

cajun filet
Jul 12, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Meh, RNH isn't a very significant upgrade from Rask.

Canes would need to go for a true #1C, someone clearly better than Staal/Rask. No need to waste Hanifin/Faulk level assets here.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
No, you said that Jones is equal if not better than Faulk defensively and i said that you're wrong. You can't make that argument when Jones has been sheltered throughout his career.

Faulk gets tough defensive minutes and Carolina's roster is garbage which hurts his possession stats, people who use HERO charts assume that means hes a bad defensive player, wrong.

so if you are sheltered it means you are worse than someone having to play the toughest minutes? Would Faulk play ahead of Weber or would he also be "sheltered"?
Is Nurse a better player than Jones just because he was thrown to the wolves having to play the toughest minutes? Is Klefbom? Davidson?

Faulk gets toughest defensive minutes because CAR has no one else.

In any case I wasnt comparing the 2 Dmen directly but was responding to the poster claiming top quality Dmen NEVER get traded for players like RNH.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
for sure.. Hanifin has franchise potential and would probably already be Oilers' #1Dman as early as next season. This is the main reason why some Oilers fans want him in deals ... When you have elite potential team needs take a side step.

Canes are loaded on the wing but some fans would still be drooling over adding Puljujarvi if it was ever proposed.

Would a draisaitl for hanifin trade interest oilers? Keep Mcdavid-RNH down middle and hanifin-Larsson top 2

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
This has been hashed and rehashed a dozen times on here:

1) EDM doesn't want a LHD so Fleury doesn't make sense (although I do find it interesting that EDM fans say they don't want a LHD then ask for Hanifin)

2) RNH isn't a good enough player for the Canes to want to give up Faulk.

3) Canes D is way too young, inexperienced and weak on the RHD to give up Faulk right now.

Rinse and repeat.

wish the thread couldve ended after this post! Summarizes everything.

This thread got started by a Canes fan who rarely, if ever posts in the Canes forum and makes a bunch of, usually pretty bad, trade proposals. Every fan base has guys like that. Pretty much EVERY Canes fan recognizes that Fleury is a LHD, not proven enough and not a need for Edmonton.

That still doesn't mean Canes want to trade Faulk or Hanifin for RNH.
well not many CAR fans have shot down the OP.. You were pretty much the only one.

Would a draisaitl for hanifin trade interest oilers? Keep Mcdavid-RNH down middle and hanifin-Larsson top 2

nope.. Hanifin has great potential but Draisaitl is more valuable to Oilers considering the log jam at left side. Draisiatl can even be shifted to the wing if needed.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
In any case I wasnt comparing the 2 Dmen directly but was responding to the poster claiming top quality Dmen NEVER get traded for players like RNH.

Never is an overstatement, but it isn't often. Plus, there were a number of extenuating circumstances that drove that trade. First, Jones was the 3rd best D on his team so the Preds were more able to absorb his loss. Canes do have depth, but none of them are as good as Faulk (yet). Secondly, the relationship between CLB and Johanssen was frayed (at best). They were looking to move him for non-hockey reasons.

That's why trades like that aren't very common.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
so if you are sheltered it means you are worse than someone having to play the toughest minutes? Would Faulk play ahead of Weber or would he also be "sheltered"?
Is Nurse a better player than Jones just because he was thrown to the wolves having to play the toughest minutes? Is Klefbom? Davidson?

Faulk gets toughest defensive minutes because CAR has no one else.

why do you keep asking random questions, simply put the statement you made was wrong.

you cant know that Jones is better defensively than Faulk because Jones played vs weak competition (and hes never outperformed his opposition substantially) and Faulk plays vs extremely tough competition, its like comparing apples to oranges. if Faulk played vs the same quality of competition that Jones did in Nashville (and with the linemates that Jones had) he would have absolutely destroyed his opposition in terms of possession numbers.

dont come out and say Jones is equal or better than Faulk defensively when theres been 0 indication of that so far, thats all.

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
well not many CAR fans have shot down the OP.. You were pretty much the only one.

Well, in fairness, that's because:

a) after a few posts, nobody was even discussing the OP's proposal any longer. It soon turned into a "Faulk to EDM" discussion.
b) Other than me, there wasn't a single Canes fan that posted in this thread until late on page 2 (when the discussion was already moved on from the OP)
c) In grand total, after the OP there are only 4 total Canes fans (including me) that have posted in this thread.

That's why you don't see that.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
No question Faulk is better than Jones, but Oilers fans are also saying they'd add to RNH.

RNH + 2017 1st for Faulk

The 2017 1st is irrelevant for the Hurricanes. They have one of the best prospect pools outside of WPG.

Faulk is the player the Hurricanes are building their entire franchise around. They're trying to get back in playoff contention and stay there for many years. But the hardest part is making the initial jump. Trading Faulk for lesser pieces and futures does nothing for them. Except set their playoff arrival back about 3 years.

They'll probably name him captain for this upcoming season.

Pesce+ is a far more realistic target for EDM for RNH.

oilerbear

Jun 2, 2008
Faulk.

Thread over.

Faulk is a bottom 20 HSCA D.
that is non playoff Defence.
Just awful defensive Dman.

he would cancel out PC trading Hall for the best Def d in the game the last 2 years.

Faulk!
he plays lottery D!

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
What about yakupov for Mckeown? He could grow into a top 4 RHD for them down the road

Maybe Ryan Murphy... dont think anyone could bank on a 20yr old playing in OHL to be a top 4 Dman in the NHL anytime soon. McKeown would not be ahead of long shot Oilers prospects like Ethan Bear in the pecking order.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal

he would cancel out PC trading Hall for the best Def d in the game the last 2 years.

Faulk!
he plays lottery D!

there you have it boys, Adam Larsson (best defensive d in the league) > Faulk, you learn something new every day on these boards.

Last edited:

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC

Faulk!
he plays lottery D!

These are the best kind of posts. It's either so bad or so great because you don't know if he's being serious or just trolling.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Except that:

Faulk >> Jones
RNH < Johansen

there you have it boys, Adam Larsson (best defensive d in the league) > Faulk, you learn something new every day on these boards.

Don't take OilerBear's stats to mean that all Oiler fans think like him. He has stats for almost anything. We know Larsson is not as good as Faulk. If he was, we wouldn't be so interested in Faulk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad