RW/C Elias Pettersson - Växjö Lakers HC, SHL (2017, 5th, VAN) Part 3

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
I understand the difference in the teams they played for, Vaxjo is and was better than MODO for sure. The thing I think about that though is maybe Nylander and Pettersson WERE the offense for their teams, Vaxjo would not have been nearly as good as they were without Pettersson.
Not denying that EP wasn't the best offensive talent on the team (he was) but having 4 other forwards and a defensemen score more than the leading scorer of Nylander's SHL team speaks volumes regarding the depth of EP's team.

I think EP has more potential than Nylander especially since he'll be given the chance to develop as a center which Nylander can't do here anymore. If EP hits on his potential, I think he's the next coming of Backstrom, I see Nylander developing more into a Kessel type player here. Same tools, Nylander is much better defensively however.

DollarAndADream

Feb 27, 2012
I really don't understand the Bäckström comparisons that are being thrown around here. I see them as very different types of players.
I think Pettersson has the potential to be a whole other monster than Backstrom. The things he does on the ice, what I'm watching from him now at his young age is amazing.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Not denying that EP wasn't the best offensive talent on the team (he was) but having 4 other forwards and a defensemen score more than the leading scorer of Nylander's SHL team speaks volumes regarding the depth of EP's team.

I think EP has more potential than Nylander especially since he'll be given the chance to develop as a center which Nylander can't do here anymore. If EP hits on his potential, I think he's the next coming of Backstrom, I see Nylander developing more into a Kessel type player here. Same tools, Nylander is much better defensively however.
Nylander as good as Kessel?
I just don’t see him hitting anywhere near that even getting to ride shotgun with a great player like Matthews. Kessel’s offence is just way better. One of the best offensive wingers in the game.
On a totally different level offensively and really steps up in the playoffs. I also think Kessels defensive play is underrated since he got traded to the Pens. He used to float a lot in Toronto but he’s a pretty smart player defensively.

Last edited:

Oliewud

May 13, 2013

I think pettersson is much more dynamic than nylander.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

CP4

May 13, 2018
Victoria, BC

Fair enough, I agree Nylander played on a worse team no questions, but are you saying Nylander is better defensively than Kessel or Pettersson?

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
That's cool, Leafs have a guy in Nylander who was doing similar things in the SHL before he came over as well, let's see how he does in a full season before annointing him a future top 5 C.

To be fair, I like his game and if he can remain at center that would be huge for the Canucks going forward. I think he's a ppg talent, just gotta hope that he can stick at center.
EP is on a whole other level, compared to Nylander.

Reactions: Canucks LB

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Nylander 0.98 ppg in shl while EP 1.35 ppg in shl.

Not close.
Not only that, Nylander is not in the same universe as elias is defensively. Elias without the puck screams datsyuk, it's scary his ceiling.

Every-time he touched the puck he did something, I have not seen a player with this type of playstyle in ages.

Reactions: Broadslayer

TAYGB52

Sep 20, 2018
You got a good one here, there's no denying that. Lets just pump the brakes and let the kid get through his rookie year before anointing him the next great superstar. Someone already said he is or could be, I don't recall, better then Matthews. I see Kuznetsov when I watch him play. That would be huge for you guys after getting F'ed in the draft repeatedly.

Reactions: Kelly

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Glad we didn’t win the draft lottery and skipped on Hischier and Patrick.

I think that when we look back at this draft the two best players will end up being Heiskainen and Petterson.

L13

Oct 1, 2015
I really don't understand the Bäckström comparisons that are being thrown around here. I see them as very different types of players.

They’re both Swedish and posters on this board can’t conceptualise hockey ability without making misleading player comparisons.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Nylander as good as Kessel?
I just don’t see him hitting anywhere near that even getting to ride shotgun with a great player like Matthews. Kessel’s offence is just way better. One of the best offensive wingers in the game.
On a totally different level offensively and really steps up in the playoffs. I also think Kessels defensive play is underrated since he got traded to the Pens. He used to float a lot in Toronto but he’s a pretty smart player defensively.
He's had similar offensive production to Kessel at comparable ages, having seen both play for the Leafs a lot, they're very similar in their skating,speed,shot,passing,zone entry. I think Nylander's got that potential for sure, he's only 22 and in his 3rd season. Must suck for Boeser that he'll start to plateau after this season by that logic and not get better

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
I think Pettersson has the potential to be a whole other monster than Backstrom. The things he does on the ice, what I'm watching from him now at his young age is amazing.

He certainly shoots the puck more/better.

Remains to be seen what the rest of his game will hold.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad